PDA

View Full Version : A quibble with #228

rbgarr
08-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Not with the magazine, but with a Letter to The Editor.

In the first one, the correspondent comments eloquently about a Rozinante entering Cuttyhunk (pond) and the owner singlehandedly coming to anchor under sail with ease and flair.

He writes "The wind was from the west, so it was easy to sail down the channel into the pond."

A west wind there would make for a challenging half-mile beat up the narrow, dredged passage, certainly no difficult task in a Rozinante (even a pleasure) but not so much for all sailors in other types attempting it. I wouldn't want to meet a sailboat on the way in were I going out.

Just sayin' :D

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~leslie/Charts/13229_8.gif (http://people.seas.harvard.edu/%7Eleslie/Charts/13229_8.gif)

Ian McColgin
08-24-2012, 01:11 PM
I've not got the issue yet, but it may depend on how exactly the author was writing. Cuttyhunk Harbor is large, wide open to the north, and very easily approached in a westerly. It's Cuttyhunk Pond has the tight due east-west channel.

rbgarr
08-24-2012, 01:16 PM
That's right about the harbor, outside the entrance and breakwater, but not the pond which he mentioned specifically.

Hwyl
08-24-2012, 04:46 PM
I noticed that too. I'm also waiting for the promised "Gyre" discussion.

Ian McColgin
08-25-2012, 08:54 AM
With that clarified - I still don't have my copy - we must suppose that he meant an east wind or that he's one of those odd fellows who calls wind direction the same way we call the current.

Sailor
08-25-2012, 03:51 PM
I got mine today. Since it's Saturday, it likely showed up yesterday in the mailbox. I thought I was regularly the last subscriber to get it every time. I guess not. Already finished reading it. :D

Binnacle Bat
08-25-2012, 08:23 PM
The quote in the original post is correct

"The wind was from the west, so it was easy to sail down the channel into the pond."

While articles, I'm sure, go through thorough copy editing and accuracy checking, I suspect letters to the editor don't get such scrutiny. I've never been to Cuttyhunk, but have studied the chart. I didn't catch the error. So it goes.

Allan

rbgarr
08-25-2012, 10:43 PM
... or that he's one of those odd fellows who calls wind direction the same way we call the current.

That was a habit among some old 'Nantucket Sounders' that completely baffled me when I was first learning about winds and current. Does anyone else do that... anywhere?