PDA

View Full Version : The Powerboats issue (Niki)

Hwyl
08-22-2012, 08:14 PM
I perused it while waiting for "just 20 minutes" at the pharmacy. I remember most of the articles, My interest was piqued by the article on Niki, a lobster boat style runabout with a jet ski engine.

I would be interested to know how it is holding up,she had a system to purge the drive of salt water. I may have missed that in the magazine (too stingy to buy it).

David G
08-22-2012, 09:00 PM
I snagged a copy of Power Boats on the fly one day... without actually looking at it. I assumed it was like the Small Boats version - with articles written specifically for that issue. Instead, as most of you know, it is a collection of past WB articles. As a regular subscriber... I'd already read all of the articles. And, of course, there was nothing new to be gleaned. There is some utility, I suppose, in having them collected in one place... but overall - I was disappointed.

jpb54
08-27-2012, 09:27 PM
As a newbie ,I was absolutely fascinated with Niki . Are there plans available any where ? Can this boat be powered with an outboard ?

This issue may have been old news for some but I think it was well worth the price .

rbgarr
08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
I thought the introductory and final articles that didn't review specific designs were very good, making it a worthwhile stand-alone offering.

James McMullen
08-27-2012, 11:30 PM
A jetski engine? Does it sound like a jetski?!?

That alone would make any sensible person want to burn it to the ground and pee on the ashes. I don't care whether the rest of it is made of wood or not, that's a dreadful idea.

moTthediesel
08-29-2012, 09:21 AM
A jetski engine? Does it sound like a jetski?!?

That alone would make any sensible person want to burn it to the ground and pee on the ashes. I don't care whether the rest of it is made of wood or not, that's a dreadful idea.

2X on that brother!

My first thought on reading about that build was just the same, adorable little lobster boat ruined with a totally obnoxious power plant!

Tom

PS: Destroying a jet ski to get the drive system out was a good idea -- they just shouldn't have stopped there......:D

wizbang 13
08-29-2012, 10:43 AM
New jetskis do not sound like old jetskis.
They have bigger 4 cycle engines, 120 hp.
They will not "damage" lobster pots or hurt any baby dugongs.

Figment
08-29-2012, 11:06 AM
I see her buzzing about, she seems to be holding up just fine.
No, she doesnt' sound anything like a jetski. More of a "whoosh" sound than anything.

She was purpose-built to a very specific and unique set of criteria, never intended to have mass appeal.

Oldad
08-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Ever since I saw her at the WB show at Mystic some years ago I have been looking for just the right jetski to carve up to salvage the power plant and pump. Don't know what I would put it in, have to get the innards first and then decide. Just seems like it would be a fun project. Of course the fun of taking a sawzall to a jetski is just gravy...

JimConlin
08-29-2012, 10:57 PM
My recollection from the original article was that the boat was built to very light scantlings. I'd also wonder about how it's held up structurally.

Hwyl
08-30-2012, 04:31 PM
I see her buzzing about, she seems to be holding up just fine.
No, she doesnt' sound anything like a jetski. More of a "whoosh" sound than anything.

She was purpose-built to a very specific and unique set of criteria, never intended to have mass appeal.

Thanks Mike, I am glad she has proven to be durable.

rbgarr
08-30-2012, 09:54 PM
The same guy who had NIKI built owns ROGUE, an NGH design. Enough said, in my book.

http://i46.tinypic.com/huj510.jpg