PDA

View Full Version : Wb #228

rbgarr
08-21-2012, 11:47 AM
is out and IT'S GREAT!!!

Bob Stephens' appreciation of the Cy Hamlin/ Farnham Butler 'Controversy' class of cruising boats was especially interesting. I grew up sailing those (the 30 and Amphibicons) and have always been a bit defensive about their appearance. No longer. He analyzes the many virtues of the 36 and the challenge of designing an attractive reverse sheer. One of my first boatyard jobs was as a rigger and each spring I rigged a Controversy 36 and it was a dream to sail. Poor us, we rigged, bent on the sails and sea trialed each sailboat launched in the spring.

Those were the days.

There's also a comprehnsive review of what's happened to the various 'Save A Classic' vessels over the years. Love it.

rbgarr
08-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Timely, teasing update on your home page about Issue #228. Well done! :D

The Nielsen folding table is something my wife wants now. Good late fall project for Christmas!

rbgarr
08-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Going through the issue again I counted the equivalent of thirteen full pages of advertising for WB itself in its various guises: the school, the show, the magazine, online, the store, etc.

That's quite a promotional investment,isn't it? Almost ten percent of the issue. Does WB normally do that? I haven't gone back to look at earlier issues.

Mad Scientist
08-27-2012, 08:11 PM
WB's Thirty Wooden Boats has three sizes of Controversy boats. Fascinating designs!

Tom

rbgarr
08-27-2012, 09:46 PM
One of the Controversy 26 models has a raised deck and more normal curve to the sheer AND the semi-permanent tent over the cockpit and cabin like the other small Controversies : http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3722

Carl Cramer
08-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Going through the issue again I counted the equivalent of thirteen full pages of advertising for WB itself in its various guises: the school, the show, the magazine, online, the store, etc.

That's quite a promotional investment,isn't it? Almost ten percent of the issue. Does WB normally do that? I haven't gone back to look at earlier issues.

Good counting, RB. It's because we have SO MUCH going on here. We try to ensure our readers know everything.

Thanks, Carl

BrianM
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM
What kind of surprised/disappointed me was the "Roundup of 100 Classics". This looked/smelled a little too much like a brokerage listing. In the forums, we are prohibited from using for advertising and self-promotion.

I'm kind of curious as to how the owners of these 100 "classics" might benefit from these listings. Are they paying for the virtual advertisement this article construes?

rbgarr
08-28-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm looking forward to reading another roundup ten years from now.

I had forgotten a number of the 100 and liked seeing the list all in one place. I only wish the online link had the original text and photos from the issues in which each S-A-C was featured. I saw Falcon, the S-A-C Herreshoff-built, Burgess Q-boat appear 'out of nowhere' near here this July and wondered where she had come from. She's a stunner. Now I know. http://www.woodenboat.com/falcon

Graeme Forrest
08-29-2012, 03:14 AM
I don't know if it is a result of our complaints in this column a month or so ago, re the delays in delivery of subscription copies of WB to New Zealand, however #228 was in my mailbox when I arrived home this afternoon! It had come from OZ as well! The Sept/Oct issue of WB in Aug must be some sort record (I would normally expect it mid Oct). If Carl is in some way responsible for this, thanks very much. Will be interesting to see if it continues or is a one off.
Also I prefer the semi gloss cover, much classier.

Carl Cramer
08-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks so much, Graeme. I'm afraid I can't take any credit for that. That's pretty amazing it got there so quickly.

But I'll ask and find out what we did differently.

Thanks for letting us know.