PDA

View Full Version : Congressman Todd Atkins R on rape

PeterSibley
08-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Where do you get these guys and how does an idiot like this become a Congressman ? He's been condemned by both Romney and Obama but the question remains .....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-21/republicans-in-damage-control-over-rape-comments/4211634

PeterSibley
08-20-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't read all the US political guff on the Bilge but this story was on our local news service as you can see by the link . Where is the other thread?

PeterSibley
08-20-2012, 07:18 PM
BTW, the Akin thing wasn't exactly original... according to an NPR report, the idea that women can't get pregnant from rape has been circulating at a lower level in right wing politics, for years.

If you thought that Akin (member of the House Committee on Science and Technology, no less) dreamed this up himself, think again... there's more than one blithering right wing idiot in politics.

Oh dear , I wonder how that kind of profound ignorance has effected US science and technology . Can you imagine this guy having a finger on the purse strings .:(

David G
08-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Let's be fair. The man has recanted. He said, "I misspoke."

Of course, it'd probably be more honest and more accurate if he'd said: I'm an ignorant, out of touch, sexist bigot who didn't even know I was stepping in it when I made those remarks.

But I suppose such self-knowledge and candor is too much to hope for.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-20-2012, 08:19 PM

Of course, it'd probably be more honest and more accurate if he'd said: I'm an ignorant, out of touch, sexist bigot who didn't even know I was stepping in it when I made those remarks.

Let's face the facts: Christian conservatives have a number of belief structures like this that are truly staggering in the scope of their primitive outlook. Amazing.

Keith Wilson
08-20-2012, 08:33 PM
The man has recanted. He said, "I misspoke."Not really; he clarified that he meant "forcible rape", which is of course not legitimate in any way. He did NOT retract the utterly false and quite loathsome claim that there's some biological mechanism that keeps women from getting pregnant if raped (so of course, if she gets pregnant, she wasn't "legitimately" raped).

What a piece of work. http://forums.snapstream.com/public_html/ubb/rolleyes.gif At least he may have ensured Ms. McCaskill another term in the Senate. Another example of the Republican party's descent into madness.

It's difficult to imagine that anyone with two X chromosomes could vote Republican this time around.

LeeG
08-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey, He's got a degree in Divinity.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Well, men are in charge in heaven you know.

Keith Wilson
08-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Hey, He's got a degree in Divinity.Yeah, well, so does my wife, and I seriously doubt that they're members of the same species.

His degree is from Covenant Theological Seminary in St Louis, of the PCA, the breakaway mostly deep south ultra-conservative faction of the Presbyterians.

Phillip Allen
08-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Wonder if John Wilkes Booth might, today's media circus, might say "I miss-shot."

dems have misspoke... you might ought to remember that

Rich Jones
08-20-2012, 10:07 PM
dems have misspoke... you might ought to remember that

Yes, but for now it's our turn to bash this guy. Let us have our fun!:)

fishrswim
08-21-2012, 01:16 AM
"Stupid is as stupid does." Forrest Gump

Meli
08-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Maybe Mr Atkins is confusing us with rabbits?
I heard this on the radio this afternoon. Despite the appalling ignorance in human Biology, maybe by "legitimate" rape he meant ..... erm ... "genuine" rape? whatever that means in the silly old codgers mind.

Whatever he meant, it's pretty clear that this man should have no place in the senate when voting on issues of womens health.

Gerarddm
08-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Paul Ryan is right on board with Akins on this issue, or has been, and is now today furiously trying to disown him. Good freakin' luck, and thanks, Mitt, for taking on a troglodyte as your Veep candidate. Bah. :-(

PeterSibley
08-21-2012, 03:07 AM
BTW, the Akin thing wasn't exactly original... according to an NPR report, the idea that women can't get pregnant from rape has been circulating at a lower level in right wing politics, for years.

If you thought that Akin (member of the House Committee on Science and Technology, no less) dreamed this up himself, think again... there's more than one blithering right wing idiot in politics.

No one has commented on this, what does it mean for the state of political attitudes towards science and technology in the US ? I'm assuming science includes biology not just ballistics.

Meli
08-21-2012, 03:14 AM
From the same morans:D that tell us

You cant get preggers if you do it standing up
You can get STD's from a toilet seat
Using tampons destroyrs your virginity
Masturbating boys will go blind, make you infertile etc
Women in short skirts that go out at night are asking for rape.
Women that say no at the last minute really mean YES
Husbands cant rape their wives
Falatio is akin to abortion

Listened to this crap for all my life.
Even our magistrates are guilty sometimes

LeeG
08-21-2012, 03:47 AM
No one has commented on this, what does it mean for the state of political attitudes towards science and technology in the US ? I'm assuming science includes biology not just ballistics.

Haven't you heard? Global warming is a fraud by liberal environmentalists, there's more oil to be drilled if the gov't got out of the way and $150Billion has been spent over 25 years for ABM system (that can be rendered moot with decoys or box cutters)

John Smith
08-21-2012, 05:07 AM
Let's face the facts: Christian conservatives have a number of belief structures like this that are truly staggering in the scope of their primitive outlook. Amazing.

Don't forget: this guy is on the science committee. He is not out of line with Republican think:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#48732520

LeeG
08-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Oh man, how could I spin this to a Geng like question?

Will Akin be a liability to Romney's campaign?

http://www.politico.com/morningscore/0812/morningscore664.html?hp=l6_b4

LeeG
08-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Didn't Ryan participate in an anti- abortion funding bill that tried to redefine rape?

David G
08-21-2012, 11:07 AM
We should throw maximum rescources into developing a stupid vaccine. Everyone should then be inocculated at birth.

You have my full support for this notion. I can't count the times when it would have saved me a lot of embarrassment. And just think how much better off we'd be as a nation!

Kaa
08-21-2012, 11:37 AM
We should throw maximum rescources into developing a stupid vaccine. Everyone should then be inocculated at birth.

Nah, I have an easier solution: http://bash.org/?4753

<xterm> The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Kaa

David W Pratt
08-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Regardless of your political stance on abortion if you are, or know someone who is, considering Worcester Poly Tech in Mass, Atkins got his bachelor's there.
Just a word to the wise

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
From the same morans:D that tell us

You cant get preggers if you do it standing up
You can get STD's from a toilet seat
Using tampons destroyrs your virginity
Masturbating boys will go blind, make you infertile etc
Women in short skirts that go out at night are asking for rape.
Women that say no at the last minute really mean YES
Husbands cant rape their wives
Falatio is akin to abortion

Listened to this crap for all my life.
Even our magistrates are guilty sometimes

thanks for the reminders... I'm old enough to have heard it all

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Don't forget: this guy is on the science committee. He is not out of line with Republican think:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#48732520

you guys love to shove great multitudes of folks into small pigeon holes... but of course you do not lie... as lj said the other day, it's common knowledge

TDSoren
08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
I love the way Rove was talking to Martha on FOX and kept changing the subject when Akin came up. FOX failed to mention that Crossroads (Rove's superpac) has dumped @ $5,000,000.00 into Akins campaign.

How can anyone keep a straight face on that channel?

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I should have pointed this out with my first point but this Atkin sounds like an idiot and wouldn't get my vote.

the whole abortion thing is a red herring anyway... we (the public) need to get out of people's personal lives NOW.

that includes their horses and other pets and so on

David G
08-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Not really; he clarified that he meant "forcible rape", which is of course not legitimate in any way. He did NOT retract the utterly false and quite loathsome claim that there's some biological mechanism that keeps women from getting pregnant if raped (so of course, if she gets pregnant, she wasn't "legitimately" raped).

What a piece of work. http://forums.snapstream.com/public_html/ubb/rolleyes.gif At least he may have ensured Ms. McCaskill another term in the Senate. Another example of the Republican party's descent into madness.

It's difficult to imagine that anyone with two X chromosomes could vote Republican this time around.

Looks like he's had several types of spin he's tried out. Here's the latest. I'm sorry I stood up for him at all:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/08/21/721791/akin-clarifies-legitimate-rape-comments-women-make-false-claims-about-being-raped/

LeeG
08-21-2012, 04:48 PM
He's got a friend

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/08/21/721321/rep-steve-king-says-hes-never-heard-of-a-rape-induced-pregnancy/?mobile=nc

Osborne Russell
08-21-2012, 04:49 PM
I should have pointed this out with my first point but this Atkin sounds like an idiot and wouldn't get my vote.

the whole abortion thing is a red herring anyway... we (the public) need to get out of people's personal lives NOW.

Your party does not agree. Is the disagreement fundamental enough that you would vote for the other party?

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Your party does not agree. Is the disagreement fundamental enough that you would vote for the other party?

I've told you before... it's not my party... when one is an extremist (like yourself), everyone else except those who agree with you look like extremists...

Tom Montgomery
08-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Nice dodge.

Is the disagreement fundamental enough that you would vote for the Democratic presidential candidate rather than the Republican presidential candidate?

Meli
08-21-2012, 05:12 PM

the whole abortion thing is a red herring anyway...
we (the public) need to get out of people's personal lives NOW.

Well said

Um..No I wont go there LOL EEK :D

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Nice dodge.

Is the disagreement fundamental enough that you would vote for the Democratic presidential candidate rather than the Republican presidential candidate?

there is no connection as Akin is not running for president

are you suggesting that if I dig up something stupid said by a democrat that you would vote against Obama?

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Akin!

sorry... all I caught the other day was the lack of an 's'

thanks for the correction

Tom Montgomery
08-21-2012, 05:27 PM
there is no connection as Akin is not running for president

are you suggesting that if I dig up something stupid said by a democrat that you would vote against Obama?
So your answer is "no?"

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 05:28 PM
So your answer is "no?"

and YOUR answer is... ?

Tom Montgomery
08-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Yes.

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 05:30 PM
amazing

Tom Montgomery
08-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Really? Let's remember the question: Your party [the Republican party] does not agree [with you on the abortion issue]. Is the disagreement fundamental enough that you would vote for the other party?

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 05:32 PM
absolutely

Tom Montgomery
08-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Meaning that the disagreement is absolutely not fundamental enough for you to vote for the Democratic candidate.

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Meaning that the disagreement is absolutely not fundamental enough for you to vote for the Democratic candidate.

I don't even know who the democrat candidate is and I don't live in that state

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Really? Let's remember the question: Your party [the Republican party] does not agree [with you on the abortion issue]. Is the disagreement fundamental enough that you would vote for the other party?

my party is NOT the republican party nor is it the democrat party... so far, I have been told who NOT to vote for, I prefer to find out WHO to vote FOR

wardd
08-21-2012, 05:43 PM
my party is NOT the republican party nor is it the democrat party... so far, I have been told who NOT to vote for, I prefer to find out WHO to vote FOR

you could vote for the more consistent guy that tells the fewer lies

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 05:45 PM
you could vote for the more consistent guy that tells the fewer lies

the most consistant guy here is YOU

wardd
08-21-2012, 05:48 PM
the most consistant guy here is YOU

and i tell no lies

Tom Montgomery
08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

We all know who Phillip will be voting for in November... if he votes at all.

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Tom! We is busted!

Tom Montgomery
08-21-2012, 06:13 PM
A video about bozos posted by the head counselor of the anybody but Obama camp.

The irony is delicious!

Phillip Allen
08-21-2012, 06:18 PM
A video about bozos posted by the head counselor of the anybody but Obama camp.

The irony is delicious!

try a little grace, Tom

Keith Wilson
08-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Sadly, the 'overnights' from the polling outfits don't seem to indicate this. Akin's favorability ratings have gone into the toilet... but apparently, it hasn't significantly damaged his lead in the election.Don't pay much attention to flash polling at this point; it's much too early to tell. Most people don't read political blogs daily, and it takes time for something like this to spread to folks who aren't political junkies and sink in. Also, rural Missouri is very conservative (think Alabama); St Louis and Kansas City don't have enought peole to balance the rural areas. OTOH, I think it a week or two it will start to take hold. Akin's extreme even by current Republican standards, and people will start to realize that.

I should point out that the Republican platform in every election since 1976 has included an endorsement of the "human life amendment", defining a fertilized egg as a human being with all the rights of a citizen. This would not only prohibit abortion even in the case of rape or incest (except perhaps to save the life of the mother), it would make the use of an IUD equivalent to murder. Mr Akin merely had the bad manners to say out loud what the Republican party has endorsed for over 30 years.

Tom Montgomery
08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
try a little grace, Tom
Enjoy a little humor, Phillip: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?151805-Obama-is-raising-less-money-than-in-2008&p=3508488#post3508488

Osborne Russell
08-21-2012, 08:13 PM
I should point out that the Republican platform in every election since 1976 has included an endorsement of the "human life amendment", defining a fertilized egg as a human being with all the rights of a citizen. This would not only prohibit abortion even in the case of rape or incest (except perhaps to save the life of the mother), it would make the use of an IUD equivalent to murder. Mr Akin merely had to bad manners to say out loud what the Republican party has endorsed for over 30 years.

Well done, Keith.

Osborne Russell
08-21-2012, 08:54 PM
This guy cannot withdraw from the election without court permission.

A court, you know, the judicial branch, the least democratic branch, stuffed with liberals . . . this hillbilly is gonna have to beg a judge to let him out of the race, with Karl Rove, Sean Hannity and Mitt Romney standing behind him with shotguns . . . please please your honor, I know I did wrong, sniff sniff . . . but if you'll just give me a chance boo hoo hoo . . . like a common thief.

An important deadline has now passed. Under Missouri election law, if Congressman Akin had agreed to quit the race before 5 p.m. Central time on Tuesday, all the state Republican Party committee needed do was name a replacement candidate in the next two weeks to face Sen. Claire McCaskill (D).

Now, on the eve of the Republican National Convention, the embarrassing spectacle of the partyís top figures trying to get the winner of a state primary to quit his race moves into a new phase. If Akin drops out by Sept. 25, his name can still be removed from the ballot, though with a court order. The two-week rule on naming a replacement would still apply.
- - - - - -
"It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, thatís really rare,Ē Akin said of pregnancies from rape, speaking on St. Louis television. ďIf itís a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But letís assume that maybe that didnít work or something: I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2012/0821/Todd-Akin-ignores-first-deadline-to-drop-out-of-Missouri-race.-Now-what