PDA

View Full Version : One Part Flattening Agent

lesharo
08-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Dies anyone use this? I used it yesterday for a deck with Easypoxy and non-skid. It was clear! Was it always clear? I didn't remember it being clear. Obviously that makes it harder to cover. Mine did cover though, thank god, but I could have sworn it used to be white.

Obviously there might be some better solutions to flatten deck paint: Use flat white (although I would worry about the flowing out), semi white, and maybe adding pigmnet to the clear flattener to help hiding ( I couldn't find my pigment).

jim_cricket
08-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Any flatting oil I've seen is clear, and should be, otherwise it will tint your paint! It does make it harder to cover, but you're not going to do it in one or two coats, anyway. Three is minimum, and more is always better. I like what Petit's flatting oil does. Its a real nice, soft gloss. I've used the Petit, and Interlux for softening gloss single part polys, and think it works well. Mix thoroughly, though, or you may get some uneven sheen.
Cricket

pipefitter
08-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Dies anyone use this? I used it yesterday for a deck with Easypoxy and non-skid. It was clear! Was it always clear? I didn't remember it being clear. Obviously that makes it harder to cover. Mine did cover though, thank god, but I could have sworn it used to be white.

Obviously there might be some better solutions to flatten deck paint: Use flat white (although I would worry about the flowing out), semi white, and maybe adding pigmnet to the clear flattener to help hiding ( I couldn't find my pigment).

If it was white, it would change the tint of the base color. White would only really be good for white paint. It's always been clear as far back as I can remember.

Jay Greer
08-14-2012, 05:35 PM
The flattening agent for paint is usually made of very fine silica powder in an oil or resin suspension.
It looks white but is actually colorless.
Jay

lesharo
08-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Thank you guys, my memory must have been wrong again. I do remember it being called flatting oil too.

lesharo
08-19-2012, 06:52 AM
But then, why not just use flat white? That seems to make sense to me. Then you get the benefit of the additional hiding. And it's about the same price. And the flattening agent is very hard to come by. The only negative thing that i can think of is at least with the Z Spar Flat White, it dries fast.

Jay Greer
08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Flat white, primer, is soft and will not hold up well. Flat or semi gloss enamel is a much better choice.
Jay