PDA

View Full Version : Laker Craft '54 built in St. Paul

mike adkinson
01-04-2002, 09:05 PM
I just retrieved this 14 footer after it had been hanging in a shed/garage for 40 years undisturbed.Any history of co. or where i might find such history...thanks

bob goeckel
01-07-2002, 04:43 PM
mike, i assumed this was an outboard and looked through a book by bob speltz on outboards but could not find a listing for this brand name. could you provided more details or pictures? hull type?(lap,cedarstrip,planked,moulded),inboard,sail , what?

mike adkinson
01-07-2002, 07:47 PM
Thanks Bob--please bare with me in that iam new to the wooden boat world and to how to get my pic on so you might view it. But for now- she is a 14' outboard/row,plywood with what appears to be oak or ash. Transom is what i believe to be "barrel" shape. i am not sure if she was molded,steamed or what. she is very sound with only a couple of structural issues.i am not sure of type of ply but possibly moha. but unusual, if it is. As you can see i need mucho assistance!! Pic. will be forthcoming---as soon as i figure how to get it from cam. to you. stay tuned...mike

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
01-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Welcome Mike, I am from Minneapolis but have not heard of Laker Craft of St. Paul. I will do some checking.

Are you in Minnesota? If yes, you should get involved with the Bob Speltz Land-O-Lakes chapter of the Antique & Classic Boat Society (how's that for shameless promotion) www.acbs-bslol.com. (http://www.acbs-bslol.com.) Come to the Minneapolis Boat Show Jan. 23-27 and see our display of antique & classic boats.

Minnetonka Boat Works in Wayzata, MN made a line of small outboard boats in the 1950s under the name "Tonka Craft." Both lapstrake and cedar strip hulls. Is this what you have?

mike adkinson
01-19-2002, 10:07 AM
thanks Andreas and i would love to come to the show in Jan. but will not be able to. i will be coming to Minn. in March. i am located in Concrete, Wa. which is quite nw of nw. we are in timber country and about 45 min. from the salt chuck. the Lake Craft from St. Paul is fir? ply on oak or ash. it has a metal regis? plate that reads lake craft blah blah with a ser. #396. it is crafted well and will be fun to refurbish. i had found your name at the land o lakes site and was probably writing about the time you were writing thru the forum....nice coincidence!!!! mike