PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a link to what Mr Obama promised and what he has delivered to date?

Rum_Pirate
08-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Anyone got a link to what Mr Obama promised and what he has delivered to date?

Are these 'fair' or reliable sites ?

If not, can somebody suggest some unbiased one(s) ?

http://www.audacityofhypocrisy.com/fashion-shows/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/

http://myesoteric.hubpages.com/hub/What-has-President-Obama-Done-Right-in-Almost-Three-Years-LOTS

POLITIFACT'S OBAMAMETER http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

Obamameter

Scorecard

%

Promises Kept if Full

Promises Kept in Part (Compromise)

Promises Broken

Stalled

In The Works

Not Yet Rated

Total Promises Under Consideration

JULY 27, 2012: CNN MONEY POSTED a series of snapshot charts comparing how things were when President Obama took office and today. While I can't present the charts themselves, I can present the begining and ending positions and speak to each a little.

ECONOMIC INDICATOR

BEGINNING 1

BEGINNING AND MIDTERM

CURRENT

Economic Growth Rate

1st Qrt 2009: - negative 5.9%

Growth 3rd Qrt 2009 - 2nd Qtr 2012: 6.8%

Jobs

Jobs Lost 1st Qtr 2009: 2.3 million

Jobs lost the rest of 2009: 2.6 million

Jobs gained since 2009: 3.8 million

Unemployment Rate

End of Jan 2009: 7.9%

End of Mar 2009: 8.7%

End of Jun 2012: 8.2%

National Median Home Price

Jan 2006: $275,000

1st Qtr 2009: $175,500

1st Qtr 2012: $162,000

Home Foreclosures

Jan 2009: 66,777

Peak Sep 2010: 100,000

Jun 2012: 53,538

Inflation

Jan 2009: 0%

Deflation from Mar - Oct 2009

Jun 2012: 1.7% (high-3.9% Sep 2011)

Gas Prices

Jun 2008: $4.09/gal

Jan 2009: $3.50/gal

Jun 2012: 3.45/gal

Dow Jones Stock Average

Mar 9, 2009: 6547

Jul 27, 2012: 13,075

Interest Rates - 10 Year Treasury Yield

Jan 2009: 4.46%

Jul 2012: 1.49%

Industrial Production Index

Jan 2009: 87.4

Mar 2009: 83

Jun 2012: 97.4

Consumer Spending

Declined about 2% in 1st Qtr and 2nd Qtr 2009

Increased about 2% per Qtr from 1st Qtr 2010 on.

National Debt

2009: 54.1% of GDP

2012: 72.5% of GDP

Government Spending

2009: $3.5 trillion

2012: $3.4 trillion

Kaa
08-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Oh, it's all very simple. Obama promised

http://www.barewalls.com/i/c/552498_Barack-Obama-Hope-Change.jpg

And... umm... well.... you know....

:-D

Kaa

PhaseLockedLoop
08-07-2012, 11:36 AM
By Russell Mokhiber—a notional letter to Obama

Number ten: Single payer. As a young politician, you said you were for single payer national health insurance. Then when you became President, you were against it and worked to keep the insurance companies in the game. Result – 123 dead a day from lack of health insurance.

Number nine: Kill list. You said you were against detention without trial, but you are okay with killing without trial? And according to the New York Times, you personally pick the candidates for execution. Result: Shredded Constitution.

Number eight: Minimum wage. During the 2008 campaign, you promised to raise the minimum wage to $9.50 an hour. When you became President, you didn’t lift a finger to do anything about it. Result: Unchecked poverty.

Number seven: Corporate crime. It’s been four years since the financial crisis crippled the American economy. And still, not a single prosecution of a high ranking Wall Street executive or major financial firm. Fraud played a major part in the meltdown. Yet, your Justice Department, led by corporate lawyers, hasn’t gotten the job done. Result: No justice.

Number six: Israel/Palestine. Instead of standing up to Romney and Netanyahu, you buckled. Or as Tom Friedman put it, you shut down the peace process. Result: No peace.

Number five: Energy. Instead of pursuing a 25 year plan to get us off fossil fuels, you accepted the fossil fuel industry’s mantra of – we need it all – oil, coal, nuclear, alternatives. Result: Ongoing addiction.

Number four: Taxes. Instead of getting behind a Wall Street speculation tax and reversing our regressive tax structure, you surrendered to the top one percent. Result: Increasing poverty.

Number three: Money in politics. Instead of campaigning against the moneyed interests, you swim with them, in the cess pool of American politics. Result: Democracy in decline.

Number two: Military industrial complex. You push Republicans in the Congress to increase military spending. As a percentage of GDP, military spending under your administration has been higher than it was during any year of the George W. Bush administration. Result: ObamaBush.

Number one: Capitulation. You never had it. You folded from the get go

Phillip Allen
08-07-2012, 11:40 AM
one might wonder where the left wing outrage at betrayal is?

ljb5
08-07-2012, 11:51 AM
one might wonder where the left wing outrage at betrayal is?

Outrage?

Well, let's see... according to Rum's post, inflation remains tame, the stock market is up, industrial production is up, we've added 3.8 million jobs, gas prices are down, consumer spending is up and government spending is down.

Didn't you read his post?

Nicholas Scheuer
08-07-2012, 12:09 PM
I've got a small-format list I carry around in my wallet, Rum Pirate. It's WAY too long to retype here, and I don't want to bother scanning it for you as it would just be time wasted. Too bad the Repubs have led you so far down the wrong path. Was their Kool Aide any good?

emma55
08-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I love you dirt bags Go Yes

emma55
08-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I love you dirt bags Go Yes
Us Dirt bags rule

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Obama delivered a NATIONAL HEALTH CARE PLAN. And he did it in spite of massive opposition by Republicans. Merely passing the law was an achievment that will make it into the history books. Obama i won the presidency and he will be in the history books (well maybe not the ones edited by the Texas school book committee) for that and a few other things.
But carp on if it makes you feel better.

Paul Pless
08-07-2012, 08:15 PM
This seems to be the 'list of the disillusioned'... the basis of some Democrats who feel like they were betrayed by Obama, and the basis of some Republicans who delight in castigating Obama for not being able to achieve what they hoped he couldn't, in the first place.

Sorry, but I can't see it this way. I don't know who first said that 'politics is the art of the possible', but only a fool would believe that campaign promises are somehow ironclad contracts which, if violated, are a repudiation of the person who made them.

As I've said before, I'm a pragmatist, and a realist... and i NEVER expected Obama to achieve all that was promised in his first campaign. One would have tro be an idiot to not acknowledge the rather extraordinary and unusual headwinds he faced: especially, Republicans repudiating many of their own ideas and principles, simply because Obama endorsed them.

Instead, I prefer to acknowledge that much of the portion of Obama's 'list' which is unfulfilled, is far more a consequence of political reality, and certainly not an issue of 'courage' or 'backbone'. Obama risked a great deal of political capital on the things he DID accomplish.... and was able, with some humility, to acknowledge those things which he was unable to change (the now-cliche'd 'Desiderata' comes to mind).

well that was entirely predictable. . .

leikec
08-07-2012, 08:19 PM
well that was entirely predictable. . .

As was your post...:D

Jeff C

Paul Pless
08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
fart:d

Hwyl
08-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Anyone got a link to what Mr Denzil Douglas promised and what he has delivered to date?

Fixed that for you, perhaps you should be more concerned with agitating in your own backyard

hanleyclifford
08-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Obama delivered a NATIONAL HEALTH CARE PLAN. And he did it in spite of massive opposition by Republicans. Merely passing the law was an achievment that will make it into the history books. Obama i won the presidency and he will be in the history books (well maybe not the ones edited by the Texas school book committee) for that and a few other things.
But carp on if it makes you feel better. Carping is what this place is about, Cuyahoga. That said, I think we agree that the Health Care Act is the centerpiece of Obama's accomplishment in his first term. But it is conditional. He took a gamble here because the thing could be undone quickly if he is not re elected, whether by repeal of simply defunding. I personally feel the Act was premature but if the Democrats regain control of both houses, the thing will be fleshed out. The stakes are big in November because of this act.

Glen Longino
08-07-2012, 10:10 PM
So, can we assume that Rum Pirate and Pefer and Hanley are disenchanted with Obama?
Is anybody around here surprised?
Nothing to see here, folks...move along!

leikec
08-07-2012, 11:01 PM
President Obama running for reelection--vote to take place in November

Republicans nationwide are saying they will vote for another candidate, but nothing has been confirmed as of yet. There is also a story circulating on the internet reporting on an alleged republican plan to host a convention in August to nominate a candidate to run against the president. "This hasn't happened since 2008," an unnamed source at Fox News said, "and you'd have to go all the way back to 2004 to find an example of an incumbent president being challenged by a member of the opposition party. We see this as a clear sign of the president's inability to effectively lead the nation forward."

The Obama campaign isn't commenting. More details should be available at Eleven.

Jeff C

Glen Longino
08-07-2012, 11:15 PM
:D:D

leikec
08-07-2012, 11:43 PM
:D

Jeff C

pipefitter
08-08-2012, 03:19 AM
I am really surprised that nobody ever mentions the White House kitchen garden.

varadero
08-08-2012, 05:31 AM
From the European side of the pond the view is one of complete disapointment especially the foriegn affairs policy, human rights, drone killings, and a failure to earn the Peace prize.

Phillip Allen
08-08-2012, 07:46 AM
I think the Peace Prize thing may be well 'spent' as it tells the world just how political and dishonest it has become... media-wize, no one is talking about it, which tells us even more

Paul Pless
08-08-2012, 07:50 AM
I am really surprised that nobody ever mentions the White House kitchen garden.

they sure did grow a lot of kale. . .

Rum_Pirate
08-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Fixed that for you, perhaps you should be more concerned with agitating in your own backyard

Please be advised that I can edit my own posts.

When I have posted items about items/issues that happen 'in my own backyard', some forumites with their parochial view post along the lines that 'one should not do that on this forum as there are bigger fish to fry' referring to issues in America.

Are you aware that this forum is not a solely a forum for persons to solely discuss American politics with Democratic support and views?

In your opinion, you think that people that post on forums should be restricted to being concerned with items "in their own backyard" ?

Does one really think that everyone should be restricted to issues in their own country and not anywhere else?

As many purport, like it or not, America has an influence, whether good or bad, on the world.
There is no reason why everyone regardless of race, colour, creed, religion, etc should not be allowed to discuss issues that ultimately can and do affect them.

I would also like to point out, whether you or anyone else likes it or not, that everyone is allowed to post what they like in the Bilge so long as it does not break the forum rules. Capiche?

PS Hwyl, If you (or anyone else) don't want me posting on this forum, please be aware that you are free to contact the Forum owners and moderators and make a request have me banned.
You can always submit something like "I don't like what Rum_Pirate posts about American politics as it does not always fit within my view and he should be more concerned with agitating in his own own backyard, so please ban him".

PPS I also believe that there is an 'ignore' button/facility.

hanleyclifford
08-08-2012, 08:11 AM
So, can we assume that Rum Pirate and Pefer and Hanley are disenchanted with Obama?
Is anybody around here surprised?
Nothing to see here, folks...move along! We all know that of which Assumption is the Mother; you and your post are the model of simplicity.

Kaa
08-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I noticed that, when I saw the layout of the garden. I'm not particularly fond of kale, myself.... and wouldn't think that kids (one of the targets of michelle's good eating campaign) would be fans of the stuff, either. I would have thought that the garden needed more tomatoes, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, etc.

I've been educated as to the point of kale. Its purpose in life is to go into a green smoothie. It gives the smoothie a vibrant color and a "fresh-green" taste.

Kaa

Paul Pless
08-08-2012, 10:06 AM
I've been educated as to the point of kale. Its purpose in life is to go into a green smoothie. It gives the smoothie a vibrant color and a "fresh-green" taste.

Kaablech. . .

Kaa
08-08-2012, 10:10 AM
blech. . .

No, it's actually yummy. It's not the vegetables-are-good-for-you taste, it's kinda a grassy-green taste. Of course other things also go into the smoothie, like bananas and peaches...

Kaa

Paul Pless
08-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I only need a few ingredients for a proper smoothie, none of which are green: ice, sour mix, salt, tequila, and grand marnier. . .

Kaa
08-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I only need a few ingredients for a proper smoothie, none of which are green: ice, sour mix, salt, tequila, and grand marnier. . .

Ah :-) Well, we use different terminology :-) I do have to wonder, though, what does Grand Marnier do in your margarita..?

Kaa

David G
08-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Here's a few things about foreign policy - from a recent Economist article:

The hawk or the hand?
Whether Americans will prefer Mr Romney’s neo-hawkery to Mr Obama’s proffered hands of friendship depends, in large part, on how well they think Mr Obama has performed in his commander-in-chief role. The American constitution vests its president with far more untrammelled authority in the foreign than the domestic sphere, so it is less easy to blame Congress for any failings. And the truth is that Mr Obama’s foreign-policy record is a mixed bag.
Yes, he killed Osama bin Laden and has rained down drone-powered destruction on al-Qaeda in theatre after theatre, thus impressively addressing America’s single biggest foreign worry. He has also made good on his promise to leave Iraq, even if the place is hardly in a stable state. Afghanistan, though, is a mess, Iran’s nuclear programme continues, China is as prickly and unhelpful as ever, and Russia under its yet-again president, Vladimir Putin, is sliding back towards enmity with America, despite the supposed “reset” in relations during the time of Dmitry Medvedev. Many Americans will feel, as this newspaper does, that it was refreshing of Mr Romney to denounce Russia for faltering on the path “toward a free and open society” at a time when a feminist protest band is on trial and a prominent political activist is being charged with stealing wood. They may, indeed, decide that they prefer a certain Reaganesque muscularity to Mr Obama’s more emollient approach, which in practical terms has yielded a lot less than he (and we) had hoped for.
By Mr Obama’s own lights, of course, there are plenty more failures to add to his account. He did not, as he promised, halt the rise of the oceans, or close the prison camp at Guantánamo within a year of taking office, or bring about peace between Israel and Palestine, or forge a better relationship with the Muslim world, despite the eloquence of his Cairo speech. But it will be hard for Mr Romney to gain much traction on any of these, since they are not objectives that he appears to share.

And - from another thread - a couple of takes on the economy. Again... a mixed bag:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?151267-The-Economy-what-to-expect