PDA

View Full Version : Mass Murderers: Delusional, Psychotic or Depressed?

Nanoose
07-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I appreciated this Daily Beast article by Dave Cullen on the lack of a unified theory re mass murder and the 3 predominant types involved.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/07/29/aurora-shooting-what-does-a-killer-think.html

Phillip Allen
07-30-2012, 11:42 AM
I appreciated this Daily Beast article by Dave Cullen on the lack of a unified theory re mass murder and the 3 predominant types involved.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/07/29/aurora-shooting-what-does-a-killer-think.html

I read it.
What gives this author his position to speak from, his authority? 'He wrote a book' doesn't seem to be enough without some background. BTW, I am not criticizing... yet.

Chris Coose
07-30-2012, 12:00 PM
I read it.
What gives this author his position to speak from, his authority?

His large collection of data and other research, that's what. And there is a ton of it in the article.

He did tend to leave out the Religious inspired mass killers. But more importantly politicians.

Phillip Allen
07-30-2012, 01:30 PM
His large collection of data and other research, that's what. And there is a ton of it in the article.

He did tend to leave out the Religious inspired mass killers. But more importantly politicians.

so, Chris is saying he is not trained in this stuff... seems I've been accused of that myself

Nanoose
07-31-2012, 12:20 AM
No, it's not his area of expertise. His expertise is writing.
He accessed the data of the experts and is letting us know they don't find a single answer but rather, 3 general types of people that commit this kind of crime.
THis is how reporting authors work.
That is news to you?

varadero
07-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Another common denominater is media (movies music and games). Helter Skelter, Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, Natural Born Killers, Batman, World of Warcraft, The Matrix, and Scream, among others all inspired the themes of various mass killings.

Nanoose
07-31-2012, 01:38 AM
I don't think media is an influence unless it has a place to "land," appropriate soil in which to germinate, as it were (e.g. a genetic predisposition).

If they were a common denominator there would be a lot more mass murderers, and the 3 types of personalities wouldn't be listed as dominant in mass murderers.

varadero
07-31-2012, 02:51 AM
I agree with your causation / correlation position. But without being exposed and de-sensitised further by violence and disturbing psycho themed media, would would the ground be so fertile? The delusional, psychotic, and depressed conditions are not a modern phenomena, and yet the first mass shooting I can recall was by Brenda Spencer in 1979.