PDA

View Full Version : Woman.... Objectified

George Jung
07-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Saw this in SA, and know the expert leading the study. Interesting, offers some insights. And deniability.

Women are more likely to be picked apart by the brain and seen as parts rather than a whole, according to research published online June 29 in the European Journal of Social Psychology. Men, on the other hand, are processed as a whole rather than the sum of their parts.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=our-brains-see-men-as-whole-women-as-parts

BrianW
07-29-2012, 12:05 AM
I haven't visited SA in quite awhile.

Peerie Maa
07-29-2012, 04:45 AM
Interesting and quite telling that it is a learned trait that can be unlearned. Except that is rebutted by the gender bias in the behaviour. If it were learned then why not equally across genders?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
07-29-2012, 05:11 AM
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow.

William Shakespeare; emphasis mine...

purri
07-29-2012, 05:36 AM
I don't deconstruct other than those respective parts intersect and determine the whole persona.
(fashionable and well cut clothes excluded)

I'm smart enough to know my place on the latter.

George Jung
07-29-2012, 07:11 AM
The obvious implications are there, but extrapolate a bit - if in fact this is a media construct - and then consider the violence we've seen of late, and over the past 15 years, something we hadn't seen previously. I'm thinking Columbine-like events, relative to the violence in movies, as well as the daily dose on TV.

LeeG
07-29-2012, 08:28 AM
The obvious implications are there, but extrapolate a bit - if in fact this is a media construct - and then consider the violence we've seen of late, and over the past 15 years, something we hadn't seen previously. I'm thinking Columbine-like events, relative to the violence in movies, as well as the daily dose on TV.

Positive feedback more than a media construct