PDA

View Full Version : WoodenBoat Mag and the Port Townsend WBF

PaulGrun
07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
A question I've been pondering off and on for a few years now. Every year following the Port Townsend WoodenBoat Fest I find myself perusing the forthcoming issues of WB mag looking for any reporting on this premier West Coast event. And yet I never seem to find it. Am I simply missing it, or is there some more sinister explanation?

Oldad
07-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Oldad would be happy to be sent out west as a correspondent for WB, Carl, are you listening, a tourist class ticket would be acceptable, I have my own camera and laptop.

Carl Cramer
07-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Generally, Paul, we don't write articles about boat shows.

Even our own.

But I'm sure the editors will read your comment.

A question I've been pondering off and on for a few years now. Every year following the Port Townsend WoodenBoat Fest I find myself perusing the forthcoming issues of WB mag looking for any reporting on this premier West Coast event. And yet I never seem to find it. Am I simply missing it, or is there some more sinister explanation?

Carl Cramer
07-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks, OldDad. That's very kind of you to offer.

We send our editors -- and make them hitchhike or ride the 'hound.

Oldad would be happy to be sent out west as a correspondent for WB, Carl, are you listening, a tourist class ticket would be acceptable, I have my own camera and laptop.

Oldad
07-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks, OldDad. That's very kind of you to offer.

We send our editors -- and make them hitchhike or ride the 'hound.

Oh well, worth a shot, wonderful show so I hear, never been, a long way from Vermont

PaulGrun
07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Sorry...I didn't really mean "sinister" in the sense of foreboding music and dark and stormy night. I was just having fun when I wrote the post. :-)

PaulGrun
07-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Generally, Paul, we don't write articles about boat shows.

Even our own.

But I'm sure the editors will read your comment.

Thanks for the reply Carl. Now I can stop my relentless search of the archives. :-)

MPM
07-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi Paul--
As Carl noted, we do attend the PT Festival each year, and love it. And we always walk away from it with a file full of article ideas that we develop over the subsequent months. But as Carl also noted, we report on shows and other events only occasionally. We publish six issues per year, and an annual report on every worthy show would displace too much of our other content.

That said, what did you have in mind? What sort of report would you like to see on the Festival? And would you like to read about other festivals, in other places? (Other readers should feel free to chime in here, too.)
Thanks--
Matt Murphy

Canoeyawl
07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Pictures...

Gerarddm
07-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Yeh, summary pics would be nice.

Oldad
07-26-2012, 08:27 AM
A page or two of pictures would be great

PaulGrun
08-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi Paul--
As Carl noted, we do attend the PT Festival each year, and love it. And we always walk away from it with a file full of article ideas that we develop over the subsequent months. But as Carl also noted, we report on shows and other events only occasionally. We publish six issues per year, and an annual report on every worthy show would displace too much of our other content.

That said, what did you have in mind? What sort of report would you like to see on the Festival? And would you like to read about other festivals, in other places? (Other readers should feel free to chime in here, too.)
Thanks--
Matt Murphy

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Matt...given six issues per year and the way you explained it, I can readily understand. The festivals themselves, which are wonderful, wonderful events, don't really seem conducive to being the center of a detailed article. As a few others have suggested, I'd think a page or two of photos would be most welcome. To say it's a target-rich environment would be a bit of an understatement.

My .02...thanks for listening!

landlocked sailor
08-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a perfect feature for the "In Focus" column. Rick

rbgarr
08-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Many wooden boat festivals now have their own websites for advertising purposes. I'd be surprised if they didn't post galleries of photos.

John How
08-01-2012, 08:04 PM
I think that's what this forum is for and we usually get several reports. I'd rather see stuff an bout making and using wooden boats. Not that we don't get that here too.

Peerie Maa
08-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Lots of wooden boats at Brest, I'm sure that your editors would walk all the way if you let them. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?89378-Brest-IFOS-2004