PDA

View Full Version : Biology at the Speed of Light?

pefjr
07-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Possible?
http://www.edge.org/conversation/biology-at-the-speed-of-light

Ted Hoppe
07-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Yes, it is possible to have a diner where famous people in their fields and billionaires ask each other questions. biology no, changing the world through implied scientific funding - quite likely.

Carl Sagan wrote years ago that in the near future a new species of human would be created by labs. Here we can see the peripheral directional growth in that exploration. the dinners that Ventor, a geonome map maker who likes to claim neutrality is hosting a get together is just tacitly confirming it.

Curtism
07-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Must be alright since I didn't see David Icke's name on the guest list . . . and no mention of crop circles at the web site. ;)

pefjr
07-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Must be alright since I didn't see David Icke's name on the guest list . . . and no mention of crop circles at the web site. ;)It might be the most important 30 min video you will ever see......this week.

Kaa
07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Synthetic life is a really interesting and a really important topic.

Kaa

pefjr
07-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Synthetic life is a really interesting and a really important topic.

KaaIt looks very interesting, and I think I might like his book also.

Steamboat
07-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Two thoughts:
1) Many of us who have worked for many years in the field of molecular biology and biotechnology view Craig Venter as the P.T Barnum of science. (And I thought I was being original until I Googled "Craig Venter as the P.T Barnum of science".)
2) Most biologists will sit down with just about anyone for a free meal!

pefjr
07-23-2012, 12:37 PM
2) Most biologists will sit down with just about anyone for a free meal!Especially one loaded with billions of spicy microbes.