PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment and Frustration!

CapnJ2ds
07-23-2012, 09:33 AM
I'd been hanging out for the August WB (#227) which seems to have taken longer than usual to make its way down here. The reason I was so impatient for this particular issue was the teaser that's been headlining the web page - the picture of "Benito".

Your "downeasters" appear to be handsome and able craft, but in depth details, especially lines plans are scant indeed, perhaps because they are built from half models. I was hoping the article on "Benito" would put some of this right. Alas I was doomed to disappointment.

When I at last got my hands on the issue, the first article I turned to was Bruce Stannard's one on "Benito". To my intense frustration, the item consisted almost entirely of the peripheral background on how the boat came to be built. There was almost nothing on the vessel herself!

The only real information about "Benito" was that her model was stretched to 13.4 metres from an earlier one of 12.8. No other measurements or statistics - beam, draught, displacement etc etc. No mention of what she was powered with, her fuel capacity or drive train. No description - let alone drawings - of her accommodation. We were told that, on launching, the engine was started, but not a word on how she performed or how trials went. We were also told that it was "arranged for naval architect Spencer Lincoln to some scale drawings from the half model to help plan the layout"; in other words the hull lines were taken off the model and drawn out either on paper or in a computer. So, what happened to them? And to the subsequent accommodation plan?

Not all WB articles can be winners, of course, but this one was a shocker!

Not your best work, WoodenBoat!

Hwyl
07-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Nice pictures though

CapnJ2ds
07-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Mmm..... but they don't give a good look at the hull shape, and interior photos are misleading without a cabin plan to compare them to.