PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Penn State

Vince Brennan
07-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Could have been worse.

$60 million is nothing... the big slap is voiding all win records from '07 to '11. A direct slap at JoePa.

No bowl games? Hurts the Alumni and fundraising, but Happy Valley has NEVER had a problem with that.

Probation and the rest are all window dressing.

Move along, nothing to see.

Paul Pless
07-23-2012, 08:25 AM
The four year bowl ban combined with the loss of ten scholarships for each of the next four years effectively kills their ability to be competitive within the Big Ten. The sanctions will have long long lasting effects and on their own would probably prevent Penn State from competing at the top BCS level for a decade or more.

I would have been interested in seeing what Penn State would have come up with on their own. Not that I don't think the NCAA should have been involved but I think they are preempting Penn State to gain positive press for themselves.

Nanoose
07-23-2012, 03:24 PM
It seems excessive to me in that the innocent members of a team, current and future, are paying a price here - innocent until proven guilty?

I agree with Norm: "The punishment should be applied to the guilty..."

Nicholas Scheuer
07-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Punishment was metered out to the guilty by the Prosecutor (jail time) and by the Administration (firing, etc). Now the NCAA is disciplining the school for how athletic programs were run.

B_B
07-23-2012, 10:39 PM
It seems excessive to me in that the innocent members of a team, current and future, are paying a price here - innocent until proven guilty?

I agree with Norm: "The punishment should be applied to the guilty..."
Sometimes the guilty get off Scot free.

Vince Brennan
07-23-2012, 11:00 PM
O.K.: Allow me to change my tune.

YES: NCAA should have and did exercise its privilege to discipline a signatory member school for perceived and actual actions which they should have (and probably would have) taken to correct so egregious a situation as the Sandusky scandal...

Vacating the win record from '97 to present (2011 season) definitely was a squib in the eye of JoePa as a consequence of his failure to perform his NOW perceived duties (as Sexual Hall Monitor.... OK, that's unfair. Of course he should have reported Sandusky's conduct as soon as it was known to him, 'cept that's just NOT how those things are handled until some lower-echelon squab decides to 'peach on everyone, is it?) to report such conduct, but....

I was not aware of the collateral damage this would produce until I was speaking this evening to a long-time friend who is an alumnus of the PA football Programe and who reveres JoePa as... well, he doesn't have an actual altar to the man, but damn near...

His son was in contention for an assistantcy position as coach at a "Very Prestigious Eastern Ivy League College's" Football Program here in Philly, and he got a call explaining that 'the vacation of wins involved in the Penn State sanctions had ruled him out as a contender for the position.' (Note that this was THREE freakin' hours after the sanctions were delivered.)

Now, THIS is not acceptable to me.

Punish Penn State.

IMPALE (I REALLY like this alternative to supporting his perverted personage at "Club Fed") Sandusky and all his ilk.

Vilify Paterno and his cohorts who decided that "The Old Boy Network" (Oh, I say, Old Man, that means you sha'an't enjoy Thursday nights either!!) could and would correct the 'incivilities' implicit in the accusations.

NAIL everyone involved in this disgusting exemplar of "I've done my time, now it's “your-turn-itis”, or the "Old Boy" network at "School"..

But: Where is the justice in condemning those who were solely involved in this as a path to the NFL or to a coaching career?

Do we imagine that EACH and EVERY one of these people had some knowledge of J.S's predilections and chose to remain silent? Did they ALL join in in finding a “Safe Harbour” for their respective...ahhh.... ‘dinghies’?

Do we imagine that merely belonging to the football programme of Penn State should taint them forever?

Do we accuse them of knowing what was going on and, by their very participation in the Football programme during those years, of being compliciit in the abuses engendered by such control being placed in "the Master's Hands"?

These are (mostly... except for those who [of course] endorsed and enabled the behaviour so condemned) now victims, no less than the small boys to whom (at least!!!) Sandusky taught the rubric, "B.O.H.I.C.A.

(If you don't know what that is, ask a Catholic Altar Boy.)

It's immoderate.

It's unfair... BUT:

Wow! It sure as hell is "Politically Correct"!