PDA

View Full Version : Is the Web Driving You Crazy

Sam F
07-22-2012, 04:27 PM
It is for some...

The difference was striking, with the Web users displaying fundamentally altered prefrontal cortexes. But the real surprise was what happened next. The novices went away for a week, and were asked to spend a total of five hours online and then return for another scan. “The naive subjects had already rewired their brains,” he later wrote, musing darkly about what might happen when we spend more time online.
The brains of Internet addicts, it turns out, look like the brains of drug and alcohol addicts. In a study published in January, Chinese researchers found “abnormal white matter”—essentially extra nerve cells built for speed—in the areas charged with attention, control, and executive function. A parallel study found similar changes in the brains of videogame addicts. And both studies come on the heels of other Chinese results that link Internet addiction to “structural abnormalities in gray matter,” namely shrinkage of 10 to 20 percent in the area of the brain responsible for processing of speech, memory, motor control, emotion, sensory, and other information. And worse, the shrinkage never stopped: the more time online, the more the brain showed signs of “atrophy.”

... maybe all.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/07/08/is-the-internet-making-us-crazy-what-the-new-research-says.html

Peerie Maa
07-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh, the irony :D

Like The Daily Beast on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/thedailybeast) and follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/thedailybeast) for updates all day long.

seanz
07-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Sanity starts at home.
:)

Mad Scientist
07-22-2012, 07:39 PM
I became crazy without any help from the Internet!:D

Tom

Sam F
07-22-2012, 07:58 PM
One explanation is that people are crazy and the Internet attracts them. Perhaps as a sort of self-medication.
Nevertheless there is a fair amount of the cognitive impairment mentioned to be seen in this Forum and many if not most other Internet venues.

seanz
07-22-2012, 08:02 PM
One explanation is that people are crazy and the Internet attracts them. Perhaps as a sort of self-medication.
Nevertheless there is a fair amount of the cognitive impairment mentioned to be seen in this Forum and many if not most other Internet venues.

That is one explanation And a very brave one too, I might add.

TomF
07-22-2012, 08:23 PM
No Sam, it's not the internet that drives me crazy. Just some folks on it. :D

George Jung
07-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Actually I've seen a few studies that confirm what SamF is saying. A likely corollary to 'you are what you eat'.

Peerie Maa
07-23-2012, 06:03 AM
The parent studies do confirm that our brains rewire themselves as we learn. It would be interesting, especially when you consider the amount of unused capacity, to quantify whether the losses described are actually large enough to be noticeable.

George Jung
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
I dunno, Norman..... there's an awful lot of 'material' to study here..... and SamF likely reads as much as you - and most anyone else - here. I'm just saying - it could be!

Kaa
07-23-2012, 11:09 AM
You really shouldn't get neurobiology news from tabloids...

Kaa

Sam F
07-24-2012, 09:19 AM
No Sam, it's not the internet that drives me crazy. Just some folks on it. :D

Funny yes - but you've missed the point.
If I may remind you of something a famous Canadian said: "The medium is the message."

Sam F
07-24-2012, 09:20 AM
We knew you were an expert in Catholicism.... didn't know you were an expert ..

Could you please try to stay on topic and eschew the ad hominem for once?

Waddie
07-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Ordinarily, I might agree with you.... except that it's pretty clear that anyone who disagrees with SamF's opinion is suffering 'cognitive impairment'.... his neurological criteria doesn't admit the notion of honest disagreement of opinion.

That's funny....and ironic..... criticizing SamF for the same type of intolerance you are showing to him...... :)

regards,
Waddie

George Jung
07-24-2012, 05:08 PM
We all have our blind spots.... I'm 'looking' for mine now! (No hints!)

TomF
07-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Funny yes - but you've missed the point.
If I may remind you of something a famous Canadian said: "The medium is the message."
No, I haven't missed the point. I actually rather agree with it - it would be odd, actually, to expect that repeating a particular activity over and over wouldn't bring about some changes in one's brain. That's why we practice the piano, after all - it's our brains and neural systems more than our fingers that "learn."

I'm not convinced that it is necessarily always a bad thing - it's a new medium, prompting new habits and types of fluency (and dysfunction) to be sure - but the same worries were expressed about television. And radio. And novels. I don't think that any of these media were without their serious down-sides, but neither were their undoubted effects as pernicious as some worried.

No Sam, I was making a different point. But you knew that! :D

Sam F
07-26-2012, 09:46 AM
No, I haven't missed the point. I actually rather agree with it - it would be odd, actually, to expect that repeating a particular activity over and over wouldn't bring about some changes in one's brain. That's why we practice the piano, after all - it's our brains and neural systems more than our fingers that "learn."

I'm not convinced that it is necessarily always a bad thing

Nobody said it necessarily was. But it's not an unalloyed good either:

When the new DSM is released next year, Internet Addiction Disorder will be included for the first time, albeit in an appendix tagged for “further study.” China, Taiwan, and Korea recently accepted the diagnosis, and began treating problematic Web use as a grave national health crisis. In those countries, where tens of millions of people (and as much as 30 percent of teens) are considered Internet-addicted, mostly to gaming, virtual reality, and social media, the story is sensational front-page news. One young couple neglected its infant to death while nourishing a virtual baby online. A young man fatally bludgeoned his mother for suggesting he log off (and then used her credit card to rack up more hours). At least 10 ultra-Web users, serviced by one-click noodle delivery, have died of blood clots from sitting too long.

TomF
07-26-2012, 10:56 AM
The internet doesn't kill people, people kill people. ;)