PDA

View Full Version : Employment and education snap shots: H-1B visas up, education down & unemployment up.

Ted Hoppe
07-18-2012, 01:30 PM
The state The 2012 and 2013 H1-B visas are already capped out as companies requesting them say there are no americans who can do the jobs they need filled. When we look at unemployment rate which is officially is 8.1% but is that the real number of people out of work in America. In April, the percentage of adults working or looking for work fell to the lowest level in more than 30 years. Adding college graduates in low-skill positions, like counter-work at Starbucks, and the unemployment rate is likely closer to 18 percent.

International Enrollment Rising Faster
For the fifth year in a row, international enrollment is on the upswing. International students comprised 3.5 percent of total university enrollment in 2010-11. Last year, more than 723,000 foreign students studied in the United States – 32 percent more than did so a decade ago. New enrollment increased 6 percent, compared to 1 percent the year before.
New International Students, by Enrollment Category as of Fall 2011

Total 2010-11
1-year increase
5-year increase

Undergraduate
6.5 %
37.8 %

Graduate
5.8 %
39.3 %

Non-Degree
3.7 %
133.1 %

Total
5.7 %
50.1 %

With increased reliance by business and requirements on advanced degrees, not all college graduates are equal... For example, schools such as Harvard, Princeton, University of Pennsylvania, University of Miami, Ithaca College, Cornell University, John Hopkins, University of Chicago, and University of Oregon all offer aid packages to foreign students. These schools are often seeking a population which is culturally, economically, socially, and geographically diverse. Graduate students may have more luck with financial aid. This is because graduate and teaching assistantships are offered on the basis of academic achievement, regardless of citizenship.
---------------------------------------------------------

It is my opinion that our publicly funded education system has its hand in unraveling permanent employment picture in a modern economic reality.

Interested to see your point of view on these snap shots. What say you?

Kaa
07-18-2012, 01:43 PM
What say you?

I say that is an excellent deal for the US to get the best and brightest from other countries to come here and work.

Kaa

Ted Hoppe
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
I say that is an excellent deal for the US to get the best and brightest from other countries to come here and work.

Kaa

Two points - What makes you think they will stay? Is it fair for the US tax payer subsidize a non citizen graduates studies when the cost of post education is going up by 20 percent a year?

Kaa
07-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Two points - What makes you think they will stay?

Most try to :-)

Is it fair for the US tax payer subsidize a non citizen graduates studies when the cost of post education is going up by 20 percent a year?

I don't believe the US taxpayer is subsidizing the education of non-US citizens. If you look at your list of schools offering aid packages to foreign students, you might notice that these schools are rich :-) And I'm pretty sure these aid packages do not include federal dollars.

Kaa

tigerregis
07-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Ithaca College, one of my alma maters offered these "scholarships" in the 60's. Everyone I met was African and related to a Prince or high government official. It was a joke then and I don't know, if things have changed. These were tied to the current "interests" of the day. Remember, it was immediately after the Cuban problem and the cold war was rampant. They all were black and the school had a prohibition on "bus rides and demonstrations". It was one year after Goodwin,Chaney etc.