PDA

View Full Version : Caledonia? Alba?

Kermit
06-15-2001, 02:38 PM
I'll be in Scotland for the last half of July and the first five days of August, after a week of English canals, traveling slowly up the east side--Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, points norther, and then to Skye and home from Glasgow. Anyone knowing of festivals (music or marine), distilleries, museums, pubs, people, whatever that you can recommend, I'd like to hear your recommendations and experiences. This is NOT a first trip, but I'd like to find some things I might have missed on previous trips. Gimmie y'r ideas, lads and lassies!

Stu Fyfe
06-15-2001, 09:31 PM
Check out the Topic "Trip to Scotland With Boats in Mind". I was there in April and was looking for similar things.

Andrew
06-19-2001, 09:33 AM
For music check the "Tron" pub in Edingburg on the Royal Mile. There's also another pub on the left corner a few blocks downhill from the Tron which has a Celtic jam on Fri or Sat nites. If your into instruments check BlackFriar Music, again just of the Royal Mile. In Inverness, check out the piping center on the far side of the footbridge over the river, on the right. They often have music in the pub downstairs. In Glasgow try the haggis in the resturant in the Piping College, finest kind (no kidding).

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 06-19-2001).]

Hugh Paterson
07-07-2001, 10:03 AM
I Can think of tons of places for you to go,
but suggest in the first instance you look at a publication called "Sail Scotland", available from the Scottish Tourist board.

regards

Shuggie.

Ross Faneuf
07-11-2001, 08:22 AM
Is there a restaurant in the College of Piping? Or do you mean the Piping Centre (Glasgow has both). If you like piping, catch one of the Friday night recitals at the Piping Centre - a perfect venue and world-class piping - and a bar.

Andrew
07-12-2001, 01:09 PM
Ross, re college/center. Now you have me wondering. Which ever has the little museum of piping has a resturant also. I'll pay attention next time.