PDA

View Full Version : mast repairs?

galatea1931
07-03-2012, 09:18 AM
I am preparing to remove the rig from my 40 ft yawl. The main mast has dry rot around the upper spreaders, and goes through the hollow section. The plan is to cut off the aft wall to inspect all 60 ft, repair the rotted area by scarfing in new spruce with west epoxy. Providing the remainder is ok, I want to seal the inside and replace the aft wall with a couple wedge seams to make up the saw cuts.And should i use oil or epoxy to seal the inside?

I have a bit of experience but am open to any additional ideas or options ??

thanks, kev

wizbang 13
07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
You are going to open up the whole 60 feet? Is the back "wall" a simple plank ?
If you were leaning towards epoxy to seal it, I would use CPES.
If you were leaning to oil , I would use wood preservative.
I might leave that final decision to see what it has now.
not sure what you mean by "wedge seams" . If the aft wall can be cut off carefully, ( thin blades and luck) , it may be able to go back on.
As usual, pics!! Gotta use a site like "flickr" or "photo bucket ".

boattruck
07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Galatea, Your mast repairs are likely to be a little more extensive than you might reckon, the aft wall will likely have either battens nailed to its inner surface or a rabbit cut in it, so that a skilly cut will generally not let the back come off as a section, much as we wish it would. Likely a better plan would be to cut/rout out the damaged sections, ending in a nice scarf and replace with like.
I have never found that treating the interior changes the long term outcome, I have taken apart spars for repair that had no treatment, that we know are at least 60-70 years old with bare, healthy spruce on the interior...to me that indicates that treatment clearly insn't necessary. Let us know how it works out. Cheers, Steve/BT

galatea1931
07-03-2012, 10:31 PM
thanks wizbang. The reason i want to attempt to open and inspect is because there are other areas where the glue join has slightly opened. I just want to know what i have from top to bottom before going to all the trouble to do the repair? This is my first time doing this , so I am sure my simple plan wont turn out to be so simple. Thanks for your input, I will get some pics out soon. It is coming out on Saturday.
kev

galatea1931
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Hey Steve, thanks for you input !! I like the sounds of that idea. Keeping it simple. There are some glue joins opening up along the way , do you think I should rout those out and glue a spline in , or just fill with epoxy?

chuckt
07-04-2012, 06:26 AM
We want to see the boat too! :d

galatea1931
07-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey Wizbang ! what I meant about a wedge seam was to use thin, bevelled strips of wood to replace the missing wood from the saw blade.But now Im thinking of taking Steve s advice and not trying to remove it( aft wall ) .I will strip it down and sound it and have to be happy with that i guess. And just focus on the areas that need the obvious attention. Thanks for the tip on that CPES epoxy though, i have never used it but it sounds like good stuff.
cheers Kev