PDA

View Full Version : Slugs as dishwashers

katey
06-25-2012, 08:53 AM
For Pacific Northwesterners only:

I discovered this technique by accident a few years ago, when I tossed what I thought was a hopelessly encrusted with burnt something-or-other cookie sheet out the front door. The next morning, the slugs with their little raspy tongues had completely cleaned it off!

So now I do it deliberately. A couple of weeks ago, I went camping and re-heated an 8-quart vat of macaroni and cheese over an open fire. Of course there were burnt crusty bits on the bottom. I've been soaking it in soapy water ever since, and it's pretty clean, except for around the edges, so last night I took it outside, selected a large slug, tossed him in, and slammed on the lid. Bon appetit!

Since I've started doing this, I haven't had to use my angle grinder on any kitchenware!

People in other parts of the world, you may need more than one slug. I know you -think- you have slugs, but if they aren't at least as big around as your thumb, you don't.

Canoeyawl
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I find that craw-dads will do the same thing...
Just lower your cookware over the side for the evening and when you pull them up in the morning? Voila - cleaned.

(Cast iron stuff will double as stern anchor).

2MeterTroll
06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
LOL.... yep it works a treat. I miss those big ol mobile mouths. something to think about is that slugs can be trained a little. if you put something out for them in the same place for a few weeks then stop, the slugs will continue to check the spot for the next month or so.

beernd
06-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Good tip, it will save an enormous amount of elbow oil and dirty lanuage :ycool:

David W Pratt
06-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Now, can you use them instead of a belt sander to sharpen chisels?

Paul Pless
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Good tip, it will save an enormous amount of elbow oil and dirty lanuage :ycool:Unless your wife catches you doing this.

Canoez
06-25-2012, 11:55 AM
LOL.... yep it works a treat. I miss those big ol mobile mouths. something to think about is that slugs can be trained a little. if you put something out for them in the same place for a few weeks then stop, the slugs will continue to check the spot for the next month or so.

Lefty outta read this. Maybe he'd move his garden around. ;)