PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Where's my 'I'm taking a nap' thread?

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 06:08 PM
What was wrong with that?

Glen Longino
06-22-2012, 06:12 PM
:D:D

Donn
06-22-2012, 06:12 PM
What 'I'm taking a nap' thread?

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 06:15 PM
I said: ... and I don't care if it H-L's every cow in Texas

so far as I know that is pretty mild stuff... surely not?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Who? What? Where?

Sorry, I just woke up.

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Phillip, that is a very offensive term you are using. Please stop.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Phillip, that is a very offensive term you are using. Please stop.
I have never thought of it as offensive... don't pull my leg... my mother used to say that... never heard anyone else say it

I thought about it and why it might possibly be thought of as offensive and I thought maybe someone has a relative with a cleft palate... my high school friend George used to make jokes about his OWN cleft palate... he is a nice and well respected man and has never referred to others as temporarily enabled... which I thought was mildly offensive the first time someone in a wheel chair said it to me... Mildly, and I thought if that's all he's got, it ain't much and walked away

but if you guys can convince me it really is offensive and not just more politically correct affectation, I’ll go clean it up

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 07:06 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMAahLHnLaaZrVpOwhxsEmHVRWX3rru FXbKqwjpKfm_lWIWLg34g

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 07:08 PM
http://media2.picsearch.com/is?pO0CkVc6xZaEwW3ailwuI8h-tYebMitT0fEYcbNNVI8

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Do you have any idea what life has in store for these kids? What was that name again?? What if it were your grand kid?

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 07:27 PM
... and I said COWS... are you sure you're not mining for offense... what if I had said H-L hares?
those babies do NOT have H-L... they have cleft palates...

the things we like to be offended at are FREQUENTLY random... has any of those 'People of Wal-Mart' pictures offended anyone? do they get poofed? They are certainly a lie if they are meant to convey the notion that they are typical of Wal-Mart’s patrons

There isn’t a day that goes by in the bilge that someone doesn’t DELIBERATELY insult or offend someone with words or phrases deeply meant to be used as epithets… how about ‘Aw-Shucks‘… is it meant to be friendly by it’s original user down here? I think not… today an old white man used that very phrase (old white man) to insult and offend others… was that poofed?

‘H-L cows’ is CERTAINLY not intended to refer to any human at all… I’m surprised that was not obvious to all

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Do you have any idea what life has in store for these kids? What was that name again?? What if it were your grand kid?

yes I do... read it in one of my posts above... and read this: I said cow not human or baby. Is the term H-L now the offencive equivilant of the 'N' word? Is there not a place where it may be used without court action or it's social equiviliant?

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 07:35 PM
I have lots of childhood memories of people with 'handicaps' that I haven't seen in years and years... how about a hunchback... went to school with him... just another kid to me but odd looking and I NEVER-EVER said a damn thing to him about it (nor to anyone else, they could see for themselves)

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 07:36 PM
there are many down here who go around with 'their pistol cocked'... and there is another potential offense in THAT phrase

Here endeth the reading of todays rant... (back to humor)

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Maybe some day you will hear something and it will just click.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Maybe some day you will hear something and it will just click.

it won't be like it's never happened before :)

hokiefan
06-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I have never thought of it as offensive... don't pull my leg... my mother used to say that... never heard anyone else say it

I thought about it and why it might possibly be thought of as offensive and I thought maybe someone has a relative with a cleft palate... my high school friend George used to make jokes about his OWN cleft palate... he is a nice and well respected man and has never referred to others as temporarily enabled... which I thought was mildly offensive the first time someone in a wheel chair said it to me... Mildly, and I thought if that's all he's got, it ain't much and walked away

but if you guys can convince me it really is offensive and not just more politically correct affectation, I’ll go clean it up

Phillip, he's not pulling your leg.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Phillip, he's not pulling your leg.

so, Bobby, refering to H-L cows is code for making fun of people with cleft palates... who knew?

I hope you answer this directly

Vince Brennan
06-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Give it up, Phillip. You were wrong. Live with it.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Give it up, Phillip. You were wrong. Live with it.

how do you make that out?... I referred to cows... again, is that code? Are you trying to insinuate my motives were different than what I thought they were?... are you omniscient?

bobbys
06-22-2012, 08:20 PM
I had no idea what Phillip was even talking about.

Course i know nothing about farm animals..

I got on a horse once in my yute and it pooped buckets and whizzed for 5 minutes.

B_B
06-22-2012, 08:21 PM
...I hope you answer this directly
Not to pile but I don't have a clue what you mean by answering directly - Lord knows you've evaded dozens of requests to do so - e.g. "Venture an opinion, what do think Phillip?" Paul Pless - to the extent I don't think you even know what you're asking for here. Why don't you demonstrate what you mean so we're all clear.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Not to pile but I don't have a clue what you mean by answering directly - Lord knows you've evaded dozens of requests to do so - e.g. "Venture an opinion, what do think Phillip?" Paul Pless - to the extent I don't think you even know what you're asking for here. Why don't you demonstrate what you mean so we're all clear.

in the south, to do something directly means, 'right away'

B_B
06-22-2012, 08:30 PM
in the south, to do something directly means, 'right away'
As to Pless's request - you didn't (answer directly in any definition). No light bulb.

Yet in this thread he (Bobby) did, using your definition of directly. Yet no light bulb.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 08:32 PM

the 'pile-on' is what I requested... that is, more than one source... so the old term 'H-L' is now the 'h-l' term along with the 'n' word and the 'f' word and perhaps some others. It puts me in mind of what the ancient Egyptians did to formers leaders they didn't like... they erased the names where ever they could find them... like burning the books and other forms of denial... well, I guess it certainly passes for old fashioned

B_B
06-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Further to Bobby's post - google "hare-lipped cow" images and see what you get.

What the hell, you're too damned lazy to look anything up, just click this link: "hare-lipped cow (https://www.google.ca/search?q=hare-lipped+cow&hl=en&rlz=1C1SKPC_enCA325CA327&prmd=imvnsb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QRzlT-38Msmi2gXasqjaCQ&ved=0CEYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=905)"

What do you see pictures of? Cows?

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 08:39 PM
well, I still don't agree with the affected sensitivity but I cleaned my references up just the same

B_B
06-22-2012, 08:39 PM
I said: ... and I don't care if it H-L's every cow in Texas

so far as I know that is pretty mild stuff... surely not?
If you have no feelings one way or the other with regard to the phrase why edit your post?

Glen Longino
06-23-2012, 12:22 AM
What was wrong with that?

Your self-righteous, presumtious ego, perhaps?

Phillip Allen
06-23-2012, 03:10 AM
If you have no feelings one way or the other with regard to the phrase why edit your post?

because a bunch of people got on my case for a humorous remark and made a huge issue out of it... their reasons are their own but I looked up the term and it was an accepted scientific term until recently when the 'preferred' term became cleft lip (odd considering the term ‘cleft‘ has many vulgar uses itself, fashion comes and it goes)... but I didn't think I could teach reason to the unwilling and more importantly, the opportunity for a laugh was killed by the foolishness. Rather than just be stubborn about it I will not use the term outside of scientific connotations from now on. I won't miss tghe term but I already miss any chance at a light hearted approach to life

Peerie Maa
06-23-2012, 04:12 AM
Philip, you were told that you had given offence. In stead of apologising for the unintended effect of your action you chose to try to show that the person that you had offended was in the wrong. That is unacceptable.
For example, in the UK, in industry, persisting in repeating the same action when asked to stop because it is offensive is a disciplinary issue.

Phillip Allen
06-23-2012, 04:41 AM
Philip, you were told that you had given offence. In stead of apologising for the unintended effect of your action you chose to try to show that the person that you had offended was in the wrong. That is unacceptable.
For example, in the UK, in industry, persisting in repeating the same action when asked to stop because it is offensive is a disciplinary issue.

I have been offended... what say you now?

Peerie Maa
06-23-2012, 04:51 AM
I have been offended... what say you now?
Who by? Tell them how and they should apologise.

unless of course you are just being awkward for the hell of it.

Phillip Allen
06-23-2012, 05:08 AM
Who by? Tell them how and they should apologise.

unless of course you are just being awkward for the hell of it.

they won't apologize and I wouldn't require it of them... an apology extracted is no apology at all and believed only by foolish people.

by the way... there was an entire chapter about this childishness of 'I'm offended!' stuff in the book 'Kidnapped' so it ought to look familiar to you.

and now I'm gonna try once more to get to sleep... it's after 0500 and I haven't slept a wink and I'm expecting company this morning... I feel tired but still not sleepy... perhaps some manifestation of my recently acquired diabetes.

Peerie Maa
06-23-2012, 05:13 AM
they won't appologize and I wouldn't require it of them... an appology extracted is no appology at all and believed only by foolish people

by the way... there was an entire chapter about this childishness of 'I'm offended!' stuff in the book 'Kidnapped' so it ought to look familiar to you

If you are referring to the Walter Scott novel, you are referring to a time when "Honour" meant fighting to the death over one wrong word or a funny look. You only get such idiocy from psychopaths and drunks these days.

Phillip Allen
06-23-2012, 05:17 AM
If you are referring to the Walter Scott novel, you are referring to a time when "Honour" meant fighting to the death over one wrong word or a funny look. You only get such idiocy from psychopaths and drunks these days.

and the bilge :)

Peerie Maa
06-23-2012, 05:22 AM
and the bilge :)
Are you demonstrating an inability to accept advice? Or has the conversation moved on in your mind?

Phillip Allen
06-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Are you demonstrating an inability to accept advice? Or has the conversation moved on in your mind?

right now (these days) I"m being advised on who to vote for... no way I can win there because I will fail to take the advice of at least SOMEONE

Paul Pless
06-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Come on Phillip, get a clue. The Great Scot obliterated your thread after three posts, and 99.9% percent of bilge rats agree that you're being argumentative dork. Let it go. . .

B_B
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM
...99.9% percent of bilge rats agree that you're being argumentative dork. . .
99.9 % of pots call kettles black? ;)