PDA

View Full Version : DEA chief unwilling to say heroin worse than marijuana

Gerarddm
06-21-2012, 06:38 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/21/michele-leonhart-dea-crack-heroin-marijuana_n_1615270.html

Beyond stupid. Fire her butt right now. What a laughingstock.

elf
06-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Catch 22.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Sadly, there is more controversy here than you might think. That may not be her reason for staying silent, but the long term damage from heavy marijuana use is still not definitively known.

elf
06-21-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm sorry, that sort of argument just doesn't fly with me. Just because it's not "definitively" known is no reason to waste millions of dollars on police, courts, incarceration etc when we definitively know the long term effects of alcohol consumption and give people 4 and 5 OUIs before finally, at least here in MA, trying to make a feeble effort to keep them from driving.

Her reason for waffling and simply being unwilling to admit that dope is much less, and possibly not at all, addictive is because she has to uphold administration policy.

What the hell is the woman supposed to say? Administration policy is the enforce drug laws as they now stand. She obviously wouldn't be doing her job if she admitted the law was nuts.

The sad part is that she couldn't figure out how to point out to the Democratic congressman from Colorado that it was up to him and his colleagues to change the law.

Arizona Bay
06-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Administration policy is the enforce drug laws as they now stand. She obviously wouldn't be doing her job if she admitted the law was nuts.
Exactly

Canoeyawl
06-22-2012, 01:20 AM
the long term damage from heavy marijuana use is still not definitively known.

Only because no ones talkin'
To admit you are a criminal would be stupid No?

Any long term use of anything will ultimately lead to death.

Gerarddm
06-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Yeh, like... Air, for example. ;-)

skuthorp
06-22-2012, 03:53 AM
"What the hell is the woman supposed to say? Administration policy is the enforce drug laws as they now stand. She obviously wouldn't be doing her job if she admitted the law was nuts."

Precisely, it's a political problem not a beaurocratic one. But as I've said before there's too much money being made on both sides of the law for anything much to change.

Paul Pless
06-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Administration policy is the enforce drug laws as they now stand. She obviously wouldn't be doing her job if she admitted the law was nuts.That's ridiculous. Our drug laws already recognize that various drugs are different. Possession of an ounce of marijuana carries far less a penalty (almost none in some districts) than does possession of an ounce of crack cocaine. You don't always have to be the insufferable apologist for Obama and his administration.

RonW
06-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Making things illegal creates a lot of jobs and revenue for our misguided government...

Maybe we should make more things illegal to help with the $5 trillion dollar deficit added in the last 3 years......

skipper68
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Shouldn't they DEA stop putting pot users in their target's, and go after the "Bath Salt" users with that $500,00.00 a minute they spend? This crap coming from China is the worst thing to ever hit the USA. Here is a Bath salt zombie my daughter sent a pix to me of-2 blocks from my grandsons school. Last day of Middle school. 7:30 AM. Why she drives him..http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m622/cvan6856/bathsaltwalker.jpg

PhaseLockedLoop
06-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Sadly, there is more controversy here than you might think. That may not be her reason for staying silent, but the long term damage from heavy marijuana use is still not definitively known.

Long term damage from heavy use of anything is still not definitively known. Anything!

Paul Pless
06-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Long term damage from heavy use of anything is still not definitively known. Anything!Well I'm still betting that long term use of marijuana is less harmful individually and societally than say long term crack cocaine or crystal meth use. . .

PhaseLockedLoop
06-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeh, like... Air, for example. ;-)

Good one. I stand corrected, though I might insist that moderate use is best.

Old Dryfoot
06-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Someone else can start a thread on this it they want, I'll just drop a link here for anyone reading.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/06/22/kelly-mcparland-uruguay-government-to-be-the-first-to-legalize-and-sell-marijuana/

Uruguay government to be the first to legalize and sell marijuana

hokiefan
06-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Well I'm still betting that long term use of marijuana is less harmful individually and societally than say long term crack cocaine or crystal meth use. . .

There aren't many living long-term users of crack or meth...

Bobby

Gerarddm
06-23-2012, 12:54 AM
It is one thing to say that all Schedule 1 drugs are bad news. Whatever, it's the law, blah blahblah. But how she can avoid saying that heroin is worse that marijuana is just plain ridiculous. Evidently she has never seen The Panic in Needle Park.

JMAC
06-23-2012, 06:41 AM
In my opinion, whatever the illegal drug, it is more about money than about the user's high. If you go a couple of steps up the supply chain you get to people that will do very bad things if the money doesn't flow. Also, there is no quality control over any manufactured illegal drug, no requirement that it actually is what the dealer says it is. And it wouldn't bother me if marijuana and hemp were legal cash crops.

jack grebe
06-23-2012, 07:18 AM
tell it to tommy chong..................man

Mrleft8
06-23-2012, 07:23 AM
You don't always have to be the insufferable apologist for Obama and his administration.

And you, Slim, don't always have to be the annoying dweeb who stirs the kettle of... spit....
You bring this crap up constantly, then sit back and say "Who, me?... I'm just an innocent country boy from Alabama, I don't know about your big city, northrin ways...."
BS!

Paul Pless
06-23-2012, 07:31 AM
And you, Slim, don't always have to be the annoying dweeb who stirs the kettle of... spit....
You bring this crap up constantly, then sit back and say "Who, me?... I'm just an innocent country boy from Alabama, I don't know about your big city, northrin ways...."
BS!

In case you missed it Lefty, this is a political thread. . .

Mrleft8
06-23-2012, 08:00 AM
In case you missed it Lefty, this is a political thread. . .

Oh..... Wait..... Where does it hurt?..... QUICK! Somebody call a WAH-mbulance!!!!!! Slim got a boo-boo on his widdle toe!..... :D