PDA

View Full Version : from the shooting range

Phillip Allen
06-21-2012, 06:23 PM
there were two men doing the machinegun thing with a significant difference

one had his license to own the things and had a .22 full auto he was shooting in very short bursts (2,3 and 4 round). He was at the next bench and I laughed at him suggesting that it might be a bit hard to keep his groups very small. He agreed with a smile. He was a nice, older fellow.

The other guy was nice too (cop) but young. he didn't have a full auto but was doing what he called 'bump firing' by allowing his finger/hand to remain sort of stationary while holding a heavy semi auto with his left hand and getting the thing to jumping in a spastic way and setting off strings of non-aimed fire... all over the hillside.

one guy was trying to keep his .22 in a small area of the target
the other guy (the cop) was spraying his .308 rounds all over in a random way

guess who I kept an eye on? :)

Bobby of Tulsa
06-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Well Phillip, this was my fathers day gift.http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/Bobby450/IMGP0002-2.jpg

Bobby of Tulsa
06-21-2012, 06:46 PM
This too.http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/Bobby450/IMGP0001-1.jpg

Phillip Allen
06-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Well Phillip, this was my fathers day gift.http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/Bobby450/IMGP0002-2.jpg

be careful... ya know that all those fellas killed with them things back in the middle 1800's are STILL dead

(don't forget to grease your balls)

Bobby of Tulsa
06-21-2012, 06:56 PM
be careful... ya know that all those fellas killed with them things back in the middle 1800's are STILL dead

(don't forget to grease your balls) Phillip, careful what you say dude.:):):)

Paul Pless
06-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Philco, do you ever take that FN FAL of yours out?

Phillip Allen
06-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Phillip, careful what you say dude.:):):)

comon... ya know ya got to put grease over the balls in the cylinder to lube and to prevent chain firing :)

Phillip Allen
06-21-2012, 07:00 PM

not much... got it dialed in and put it away

today it was 50 rounds of 40-65 and a few 45-70's (the cop was amused at my black powder smoke)

Bobby of Tulsa
06-21-2012, 07:11 PM
comon... ya know ya got to put grease over the balls in the cylinder to lube and to prevent chain firing :)
I know, but I am not sure about Scot. Just kiddin guy. Quick question for ya, .451 or .454 ball? They say one is just a little small the other a little large, and will shave a little bit of lead off when loading. What says you?

Phillip Allen
06-21-2012, 07:22 PM
I know, but I am not sure about Scot. Just kiddin guy. Quick question for ya, .451 or .454 ball? They say one is just a little small the other a little large, and will shave a little bit of lead off when loading. What says you?

it was always told to me that the combination was best if a small ring of lead was shaved off the bal... it MUST be tight

those old colts and their copies are sighted such that if you want to hit a charging cossak on a horse, aim for the horse's knees

Bobby of Tulsa
06-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks for that info, shoot for the knees right? How about cans??

Phillip Allen
06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for that info, shoot for the knees right? How about cans??

wait for the cossak to be going the other way :) (or did you mean tin cans?)
put the tin can of a fence poost and shoot for the base of the post

Phillip Allen
06-21-2012, 07:36 PM
in all seriousness, they shoot incredibly high... may need to have a taller front sight put on it... try it out first, of course

Bobby of Tulsa
06-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Heck Phillip, I was just going to draw that thing and start fannin that hammer. Never thought about aiming it. :)

Todd Bradshaw
06-21-2012, 08:32 PM
451s work fine in my 44. The ram will shave off some, but there doesn't seem to be any reson to go bigger. I'm generally using about 28 grains of 3Fg. Back in the old days, I used a plastic calking tube which had been refilled with Crisco to seal the cylinders. Recently, I bought some "Wonderseals" (small hockey-puck-like things made of white goo). They work, but their 44-45 cal size is undersized enough that you need to take a hunk of dowel or something to squish them a bit to really get a decent seal - which seems kind of dumb. I might find a proper size piece of brass tube and try making my own from SPG lube. I've been seriously tempted to try miniature marshmallows, but wasn't sure I wanted to add burned sugar to the fouling in the barrel.:) At least the bad guys would get a pleasant whiff of toasted marshmallows right before the ball hit them.

As Phillip said....start with a big target (like a 4x8 sheet of plywood) as it will take a bit to find out where the heck it's shooting.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Music%20stuff/1851.jpg

B_B
06-21-2012, 08:43 PM
The FN R1 was the second weapon I'd ever fired, after about a half dozen rounds with a .22. It kinda put me off shooting things for a while. At 12, and inexperienced, it wasn't the best weapon to 'learn' on...

Paul Pless
06-21-2012, 09:07 PM
The FN R1 was the second weapon I'd ever fired, after about a half dozen rounds with a .22. It kinda put me off shooting things for a while. At 12, and inexperienced, it wasn't the best weapon to 'learn' on...My first gun was a .22. Then a 20 gauge for a long time. Then, once without my dad around my older brother talked me into shooting his 12 gauge pump, with a long barrel and a full load of buckshot. I think I was about eleven or twelve. He got in a lot of trouble for that!:D

B_B
06-21-2012, 09:36 PM
My first gun was a .22. Then a 20 gauge for a long time. Then, once without my dad around my older brother talked me into shooting his 12 gauge pump, with a long barrel and a full load of buckshot. I think I was about eleven or twelve. He got in a lot of trouble for that!:D
The FN has a selector gauge at the rear, IIRC (it's been nigh on 30 yrs), which controls the kickback to a certain degree. I don't know if the one on that particular gun was malfunctioning but I sure as shooting couldn't tell the difference...and my multi-coloured shoulder the next day didn't either.

I'm sure you with your 12 gauge pump didn't get off more than a few shots before you wised up...I had a 20 round magazine, IIRC, and I wasn't gonna pu$$y out.

Phillip Allen
06-21-2012, 10:57 PM
The FN has a selector gauge at the rear, IIRC (it's been nigh on 30 yrs), which controls the kickback to a certain degree. I don't know if the one on that particular gun was malfunctioning but I sure as shooting couldn't tell the difference...and my multi-coloured shoulder the next day didn't either.

I'm sure you with your 12 gauge pump didn't get off more than a few shots before you wised up...I had a 20 round magazine, IIRC, and I wasn't gonna pu$$y out.

if we're talking about the same rifle, the 'gauge' is near the front and doesn't control recoil at all... it's for adjusting the ejection for different types of ammo so that it won't jam

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 04:02 AM
451s work fine in my 44. The ram will shave off some, but there doesn't seem to be any reson to go bigger. I'm generally using about 28 grains of 3Fg. Back in the old days, I used a plastic calking tube which had been refilled with Crisco to seal the cylinders. Recently, I bought some "Wonderseals" (small hockey-puck-like things made of white goo). They work, but their 44-45 cal size is undersized enough that you need to take a hunk of dowel or something to squish them a bit to really get a decent seal - which seems kind of dumb. I might find a proper size piece of brass tube and try making my own from SPG lube. I've been seriously tempted to try miniature marshmallows, but wasn't sure I wanted to add burned sugar to the fouling in the barrel.:) At least the bad guys would get a pleasant whiff of toasted marshmallows right before the ball hit them.

As Phillip said....start with a big target (like a 4x8 sheet of plywood) as it will take a bit to find out where the heck it's shooting.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Music%20stuff/1851.jpgNice collection you have there, and thanks for the information. I can see I will need to get me holster like that.:) I mean after November and the open carry law starts, that should go over real well with the 9mm crowd.:)

BrianW
06-22-2012, 04:21 AM
Nice collection you have there, and thanks for the information. I can see I will need to get me holster like that.:) I mean after November and the open carry law starts, that should go over real well with the 9mm crowd.:)

Can you identify the rifles in the picture?

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 04:39 AM
Can you identify the rifles in the picture? Is this a test?

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 06:29 AM
give it a try, Bobby... (I can get pretty close)

Nicholas Scheuer
06-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Third from the right is a Winchester '73, probably 44-40. Second from right is a Winchester '94, 30-30.

I need to locate a gunsmith who can tell me whether my vrey knocked around 38-40, '73 is OK to shoot.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 07:18 AM

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Music%20stuff/1851.jpg

Okay…

From near to far (not counting the revolver):
A couple of Henry’s (similar to a Marlin action, not of ancient design)
Sharps
‘76 Win
(original) ‘94 “Win
High wall/low wall (can’t see the upper receiver)

How’s that?

skuthorp
06-22-2012, 07:29 AM
That's a very nice looking piece bobby. Combined with Todd's belt and holster etc it's something that as a boy I dreamed about.
(Always liked cowboy films, though living about 40 miles fro the nearest cinema a lot of the time I didn't see many).

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 07:35 AM
That's a very nice looking piece bobby. Combined with Todd's belt and holster etc it's something that as a boy I dreamed about.
(Always liked cowboy films, though living about 40 miles fro the nearest cinema a lot of the time I didn't see many).

too bad you missed a lot of it... simpler times it seemed

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Phillip, my remebery function is broken.:( My best guess is they belong to Todd Bradshaw.

Todd Bradshaw
06-22-2012, 11:55 AM
That's pretty good Phillip
Left to right"
- Henry Silverado and Golden Boy, both in 22 Long Rifle - just plain old fun to shoot.
- Charles Daly Little Sharps in 17HMR. My wife is deadly with that one, so I'd better behave.
- Navy Arms/Uberti 1873 Winnie in 44-40 that I shoot BP hand loads with.
- 1907 Model 1894 in 30WCF - Still surprisingly accurate.
- and a Cimarron 1885 Low Wall in 22 Mag with a Lyman #2 rear sight and a tunnel front sight.

out of the photo is the other rack with:
- Pedersoli Sharps #3 in 45-70 (I load 500 grain Lyman 457-125 slugs with about 65 grains of Swiss 1.5 Fg and SPG lube)
- Ithaca Hawken 50 cal
- My 45 cal flintlock poor-boy
- and a Traditions Crockett Rifle (32 cal percussion) that I built from a kit. Probably the best "cheap" BP rifle I've ever shot. The balance is wonderful. In factory stock configuration, it looks kind of phony, like any other factory low end gun. The stock is Beech, which looks awful when stained unless you go really light or really dark. I went for dark. I weathered all the shiny brass to tone it down, burned off the case hardening color on the lock, replaced the metal ramrod and browned the lock and barrel. The result was a pretty respectable rifle that's accurate and really holds on target nicely. If somebody is looking for a small caliber BP rifle that's really fun to shoot, the Crockett is worth checking out.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Music%20stuff/00b2.jpg

This is my "Buffalo Hunt" movie that we made last winter just for fun.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/sailaddict/albums/2190545cb4a742f5828f2c93eabd384e/view#807222ed1d684964a5e908fbd073baf5

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 12:25 PM
I really like your buffalo hunt, I could do a bunch of different hunts like that. Thanks again .

Phillip Allen
06-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Left to right"
- Henry Silverado and Golden Boy, both in 22 Long Rifle - just plain old fun to shoot.
- Charles Daly Little Sharps in 17HMR. My wife is deadly with that one, so I'd better behave.
- and a Cimarron 1885 Low Wall in 22 Mag with a Lyman #2 rear sight and a tunnel front sight.

- Pedersoli Sharps #3 in 45-70 (I load 500 grain Lyman 457-125 slugs with about 65 grains of Swiss 1.5 Fg and SPG lube)
- Ithaca Hawken 50 cal
- and a Traditions Crockett Rifle (32 cal percussion) that I built from a kit. Probably the best "cheap" BP rifle I've ever shot. The balance is wonderful. In factory stock configuration, it looks kind of phony, like any other factory low end gun. The stock is Beech, which looks awful when stained unless you go really light or really dark. I went for dark. I weathered all the shiny brass to tone it down, burned off the case hardening color on the lock, replaced the metal ramrod and browned the lock and barrel. The result was a pretty respectable rifle that's accurate and really holds on target nicely. If somebody is looking for a small caliber BP rifle that's really fun to shoot, the Crockett is worth checking out.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/sailaddict/albums/2190545cb4a742f5828f2c93eabd384e/view#807222ed1d684964a5e908fbd073baf5

If we were to catch you around our camp fire lookin like ya just walked out of the store in that outfit, there would be a fight until we had rolled you back and forth across the camp fire enough to 'season' that outfit :) ... pilgrim

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 04:06 PM
If we were to catch you around our camp fire lookin like ya just walked out of the store in that outfit, there would be a fight until we had rolled you back and forth across the camp fire enough to 'season' that outfit :) ... pilgrim You got to admit Phillip, he shore was purty. Was that him singin? I could listen to some more of that.:)

Todd Bradshaw
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
That would probably piss off the nice Native American woman in Utah who made that coat. The gals I know all complain when they see the video that my jeans are too baggy. I tell them that they're LL Bean fleece-lined jeans because it was about 15 degrees outside when we shot that video. I'd been shooting the flintlock and my fingers were so cold from loading that I could hardly bend them when we decided to put Buff out and blast him with the Hawken. Baggy jeans were not at the top of my list of stuff to worry about.

Here are a few shots with the big Sharps. I was shooting at a milk jug on a stump, just to the right of Buff. I figured it would burst when hit and that I was missing it, but when we finally got up there, it had several big holes in it.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/sailaddict/albums/3c42b42b71294766a6255e0a5da3208f/view#76bb3c630ee1467aa6baad7b6920cba6

This is a really short one showing a gong hit with the Sharps. Pretty impressive hitting power.
http://www.photoshop.com/users/sailaddict/albums/21af0fa14fc743449deb7793552db352/view#586fc5a54e704d0d8cc6da2d96664971

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 04:53 PM
That would probably piss off the nice Native American woman in Utah who made that coat. The gals I know all complain when they see the video that my jeans are too baggy. I tell them that they're LL Bean fleece-lined jeans because it was about 15 degrees outside when we shot that video. I'd been shooting the flintlock and my fingers were so cold from loading that I could hardly bend them when we decided to put Buff out and blast him with the Hawken. Baggy jeans were not at the top of my list of stuff to worry about.

Here are a few shots with the big Sharps. I was shooting at a milk jug on a stump, just to the right of Buff. I figured it would burst when hit and that I was missing it, but when we finally got up there, it had several big holes in it.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/sailaddict/albums/3c42b42b71294766a6255e0a5da3208f/view#76bb3c630ee1467aa6baad7b6920cba6 So you just ignoring me.:) Was that your music?? and I thought you looked fine

Todd Bradshaw
06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
It's an old John Sebastian song, but that's me playing and singing it. The damned drum loop will drive you crazy after a while, but it was one of the first songs I'd recorded in 35 years when I finally bought a digital deck and I didn't have any better percussion options available at the time.

bobbys
06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Left to right"

- Ithaca Hawken 50 cal

That was better then our last 4 Netflix movies...

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2012, 05:03 PM
It's an old John Sebastian song, but that's me playing and singing it. The damned drum loop will drive you crazy after a while, but it was one of the first songs I'd recorded in 35 years when I finally bought a digital deck and I didn't have any better percussion options available at the time. Well you can play some more of it in the pub, we likes good music, and your video too.

Mad Scientist
06-22-2012, 07:29 PM
The FN has a selector gauge at the rear, IIRC (it's been nigh on 30 yrs), which controls the kickback to a certain degree. I don't know if the one on that particular gun was malfunctioning but I sure as shooting couldn't tell the difference...and my multi-coloured shoulder the next day didn't either...

The FN C1 had a gas regulator ring near the muzzle. It had 8 settings which covered or uncovered an exhaust for the gas mechanism. We were told that it would allow adjustment to compensate for wear in the barrel. '4' was the usual setting. But, our rifles in boot camp were cleaned with wire brushes to the point that my barrel was too worn to hold enough gas to operate the ejection.

Oh well, it could have been worse. One of the other recruits managed to assemble his rifle incorrectly, so his gas plug, piston and spring were shot down the range. Our NCOs never did figure out how he did that.

Tom

Todd Bradshaw
06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Donn, the house is from 1920 and was pretty much trashed inside when we bought it. There was one small original oak-trimmed window frame, one original door frame and a tiny chunk of original oak baseboard. Everything else had been replaced with typical, modern, Home-Depot-style, pre-finished oak and looked pretty cheap. So we tore it all out, sanded most of the old oak floors and replaced all the trim with something close to the original stuff. The baseboards are oak 1x6 boards, sanded, slightly rounded on the corners and stood on edge. At the floor level, there is an additional hunk of 3/4" inside corner molding. Doors and windows also got wide oak frames (1x4s plus a 1/2" filler to match the original dimensions, and outside corner moldings over the filler). Since it's so old, nothing is straight, square, or plumb. The the best mitre box made would be pretty much worthless, so you do the best you can to fudge the angles where needed. Trim around vents, floor level changes and other odd spots was pretty much just seat of the pants construction with whatever came to mind and various bits of oak. I'd love to add crown moldings, but the wall/ceiling joints are pretty wavy and they might just call attention to it.

We did most of the work in the winter when my work was slow, so we used water-based stain and varnish on everything to keep the fumes down. The stain isn't quite as transparent as oil stain (or as easy to blend) and the varnish isn't quite as smooth as oil-based, but they worked OK and have held up well to our 110 lb. black lab and me crawling around making sails on the wood floor. Funny though....ever since we bought this place my boat building time has gone right down the tubes. It's always something that needs rebuilding and most seemingly simple jobs usually wind up with us going all the way down to bare studs and starting over.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Music%20stuff/baseboards.jpg

Todd Bradshaw
06-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Here you go Bobby. No videos, but mp3s of a couple covers I recorded in my office when I was supposed to be making somebody a sail.
a Jimmy Webb tune
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Music%20stuff/Highwayman.mp3

and this one, which was just fun to do. Kilts - wear 'em if you got 'em!
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Music%20stuff/LLx2.mp3

Bobby of Tulsa
06-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Here you go Bobby. No videos, but mp3s of a couple covers I recorded in my office when I was supposed to be making somebody a sail.
a Jimmy Webb tune
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Music%20stuff/Highwayman.mp3

and this one, which was just fun to do. Kilts - wear 'em if you got 'em!
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/Music%20stuff/LLx2.mp3 Thanks I enjoyed that.