PDA

View Full Version : A man of principal

ccmanuals
06-20-2012, 05:56 PM
So I guess Ron Paul is a man of principle, or not. :)

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) may rail against Social Security insolvency in the public eye, but that hasn't stopped him from accepting the government checks.

The libertarian-leaning Republican and former presidential candidate admitted Wednesday that he accepts Social Security checks just minutes after he called for younger generations to wean themselves off the program, in an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

"I want young people to opt out of Social Security, but my goal isn't to cut," he said.
The Huffington Post's Sam Stein then asked Paul, "A bit of a personal question -- Are you on Social Security? Do you get social security checks?"

Paul admitted he does, stating, "[It's] just as I use the post office, I use government highways, I use the banks, I use the federal reserve system. But that doesn't mean that you can't work to remove this in the same way on Social Security."

Gerarddm
06-20-2012, 06:08 PM
*principle, BTW.

ccmanuals
06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
thanks

Paul Pless
06-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Ron Paul is a hypocrite, has always been a hypocrite, and always will be a hypocrite.
He's lived his entire adult life in the lap of luxury among the 1%, while trying to appeal to the most ignorant of the 99%.maybe not the most ignorant. . .

Captain Intrepid
06-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Why shouldn't he take the checks?

True principles and backbone.

So I guess that explains why he's taking them.

wardd
06-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Ron Paul is a hypocrite, has always been a hypocrite, and always will be a hypocrite.
He's lived his entire adult life in the lap of luxury among the 1%, while trying to appeal to the most ignorant of the 99%.
psssst...don't tell pefjr I said it, okay?
Don't want to burst his bubble.

to paraphrase stiglitz, the wealthy have become very successful at getting others to fight for them

Arizona Bay
06-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Just another politico without any integrity... imagine that. But then again, Libertarianism is a justification of selfishness, me and mine, rather than the community.

RonW
06-20-2012, 07:17 PM
And the rest of the story........Ron Paul also said he is still paying into the social security system and pays in more then he takes out.....

So what is he doing, limiting his taxation ...........

Nanoose
06-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Principal or principle?

Captain Intrepid
06-20-2012, 07:37 PM
He and his employer paid into the system under penalty of law throughout his working life.
Just because he wants to change the system doesn't mean he should decline checks from a system he was forced to participate in.

A friend of mine was recently elected onto a city council. One of the first things she did was refuse the raise the previous city council had voted themselves, and unlike Ron Paul she is far from a millionaire. Ron Paul is entitled to the cheques, and it's fine if he takes them, but he could be taking a symbolic stand against what he believes is wrong. It doesn't mean he's a bad person, just he cares more about money than principles.

I truly believe that a person's actions speak far louder than their carefully crafted rhetoric.