PDA

View Full Version : Poison ivy and dogs......



Mrleft8
06-20-2012, 10:18 AM
It sure looks like Aldo has a screaming case of poison ivy.... Anyone got any remedies besides trying to keep a 6 month old puppy from running through the poison ivy?

Phillip Allen
06-20-2012, 10:21 AM
It sure looks like Aldo has a screaming case of poison ivy.... Anyone got any remedies besides trying to keep a 6 month old puppy from running through the poison ivy?

doggie-be-gone sprayed on the ivy might help

Plumbtex
06-20-2012, 10:40 AM
The rash from poison ivy is an allergic reaction. What your puppy has might be an allergic reaction but I would be surprised if poison ivy was the cause. Dogs are often allergic to fleas so make sure that's not a problem. Mange mites can also present like a skin allergy. I've had good luck using happy jack kennel dip for both.

Paul Pless
06-20-2012, 10:41 AM
I've never seen a dog with 'poison ivy', but what do I know. . .

David W Pratt
06-20-2012, 10:47 AM
I've heard of people getting PI from dogs.

Plumbtex
06-20-2012, 11:24 AM
I've heard of people getting PI from dogs.

They can carry the oil from the leaves on their fur which can trigger the reaction in people that come in contact with it and suffer from pi allergy. ( Not all people are allergic to pi, I don't seem to be)

Mrleft8
06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
It's not fleas..... He is a Beageiller.... (Pronounced Beguiler) Not a Fleagle......

JimM
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Symptoms of Poison Ivy in DogsSymptoms of Poison ivy reactions to the skin in dogs can include raised bumps or swelling of the skin. The dog may become very itchy, and the skin may also become inflamed. The raised bumps may start to blister and ooze clear fluids. If a dog ingests Poison ivy, the dog may experience sudden vomiting or diarrhea.
If your dog begins to show any of these symptoms, a prompt visit to the veterinarian is highly recommended. Any type of sudden allergic reaction can be dangerous if the reaction progresses to a condition called anaphylaxis. During an anaphylactic episode, a strong reaction to an allergen can cause swelling of the airways and respiratory system.
While reactions to Poison ivy in dogs do not occur often, it is still a good idea to keep your dog away from this plant. If you are walking your dog in an area that may have Poison ivy, take the time to look up the plant and memorize what it looks like. Many dogs are protected from Poison ivy’s urushiol oils through their fur. However, if the oil is on dog’s fur it is possible for a person to come into contact with the oils by petting the dog.

Or it may be a moist dermatitis (called a hot spot) and also needs vet treatment, it can spread. If it is a hot spot, the vet will provide inexpensive treatement.

Mrleft8
06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Not hot spots. This looks just like the poison ivy rashes that my father used to get..... I'll start out with a little cort-aid cream to alleviate the itch, and keep an eye on it...... I don't walk the dog.... He's free range with-in the confines of his invisible electric fence..... Take the time to look up the plant?..... :D I've known what PI looks like since 1963.... I rarely get it myself, but my father just had to be near someone who said the word, to get a massive oozing rash that required medical attention on numerous occasions, but thank you for your advice.

elf
06-20-2012, 03:45 PM
How do you believe the poison ivy actually touched the dog's skin? I doubt he'd get the rash if it didn't.

Mrleft8
06-20-2012, 04:28 PM
How do you believe the poison ivy actually touched the dog's skin? I doubt he'd get the rash if it didn't.

He's a puppy. He chases balls, birds, bats, bilge rats, cats, imaginary bezzleblats...... Pretty much anything that moves, and some things that don't. There's poison ivy all over the place here.... He charges full tilt, headlong into the underbrush, and sometimes the underbrush is poison ivy.....