PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Obama get above 50% in the swing states?

genglandoh
06-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I just looked at the RCP polls for the swing states and noticed that Obama can not get above 50%.

Does this mean anything?

Examples are

State

Obama

Romney

Undecided

CO

FL

MI

NC

OH

PA

VA

WI

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/nc/north_carolina_romney_vs_obama-1784.html

ljb5
06-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Is there anyone else who can't get above 50% in swing states?

Tom Montgomery
06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
To date the vast majority of Americans are not yet paying attention to the electioneering.

Like me, they intend to enjoy their summer and tune in come Autumn.

Chip-skiff
06-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Raw Money.

tigerregis
06-20-2012, 12:39 AM
"Swing low sweet chariot comin' for to carry me home" I hope it is DC, but if Chicago let it be. He has, what it takes and I don't know, if enough can see him through a victory. Keep the faith brothers.

John Smith
06-20-2012, 07:38 AM
It only matters who gets the most votes of those who vote on election day.

Romney has, so far, avoided getting anywhere near specific on most anything.

When he has, he's taken all positions at one time or another.

This country's biggest problem is the voters who don't take the time to do their own math. Everyone loves tax cuts, but tax cuts come with a cost.

Could we have put the man on the moon with today's tax rates? I think that's an important question. As is: in what categories do we lead the world? When you honestly answer those questions, then ask yourself why you're proud to be an American?

Telling yourself this is the greatest nation in the world doesn't make it so. How long have we been outsourcing jobs? Hint: long before NAFTA. Maybe all those years of outsourcing jobs is why we have so few. Neither Obama or Romney can change that part of our history very quickly, if at all.

I don't think he can get above 50% because most Americans are impatient and want instant fixes and we face problems that cannot be fixed instantly. I think expectations of this president were too high, mainly in the belief the Republicans would work with him. Had he gotten cooperation from the republicans, millions of Americans would be working today rebuilding our bridges and our water mains (did you know there are 700 water main breaks in this country every day?).

The American voters are actually stupid enough to elect Romney. Then I wonder how long into his term will he blame Obama.

LeeG
06-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Does this mean anything?

Obama is ahead in 6 out of 8 swing states?

spirit
06-20-2012, 08:13 AM
There are still a great many people who believe in angels, and don't pay attention to a president who is providing the most thoughtful, sensible and rational government possible, in the face of politicians, bankers, and others with obstructionist agendas.

genglandoh
06-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Is there anyone else who can't get above 50% in swing states?

One would expect that a President who has been in office for 3 1/2 years would have over 50%.
The country knows who he is and what to expect.

Romney is an unknown so I would expect he would be below 50%.

I just do not know if being below 50% is normal for a sitting president.
Does anyone know if this is normal?

Does anyone know if this means anything?

Rum_Pirate
06-20-2012, 08:03 PM
One would expect that a President who has been in office for 3 1/2 years would have over 50%.
The country knows who he is and what to expect.

Romney is an unknown so I would expect he would be below 50%.

I just do not know if being below 50% is normal for a sitting president.
Does anyone know if this is normal?

Does anyone know if this means anything?

It does not mean anything (particularly on this forum) if it is negative against Mr Obama. :D

ljb5
06-20-2012, 10:27 PM

That seems like speculation, not reasoning.

When the economy is tough, people tend to blame the incumbent (regardless of if he truly deserves the blame.)

So I don't think it's logical to assume that the incumbent has (or should have) an advantage. Being the incumbent might actually be a disability.

It certainly seems like that's what Romney is hoping for, because he has no ideas of his own, so he can do nothing other than bash Obama.

The only thing you can conclude from those polls is that Obama seems to be beating Romney (at least right now.) No matter how you factor in the "advantage" of being the incumbent or the "disadvantage" of being the incumbent... the polls still show Obama beating Romney.