PDA

View Full Version : Emancipation Day

Ian McColgin
06-19-2012, 05:54 AM
On this day in 1865 Union General Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston and announced the emancipation of the slaves.

Former slaves began celebrating the day and the movement spread.

Today forty one states mark “Juneteenth” as Emancipation Day: DC and Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

The significance is that this holiday is from the community up, not from leaders down.

David G
06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Ian... you had me worried with that headline. I thought maybe you were going to discuss boats... or girlfriends. Instead - I'll gladly join with you in celebrating Juneteenth!

David W Pratt
06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Part of the significance of June 'teenth is that Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863

bobbys
06-20-2012, 11:20 AM
I had to look up Oregon as i did not think it was a State then.

The Oregon Territory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Territory) was created in 1848, and Oregon became the 33rd state on February 14, 1859..

Course Mr Baxter and DavidG and Dave were drinking brew pup beer and playing soft jazz even back then...

Paul Pless
06-20-2012, 11:36 AM
The significance is that this holiday is from the community up, not from leaders down.uhhh. . .
On this day in 1865 Union General Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston and announced the emancipation of the slaves.

David G
06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
I had to look up Oregon as i did not think it was a State then.

The Oregon Territory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Territory) was created in 1848, and Oregon became the 33rd state on February 14, 1859..

Course Mr Baxter and DavidG and Dave were drinking brew pup beer and playing soft jazz even back then...

More RWW propaganda and personal slander. I was drinking Root Beer back then, made from real spruce roots!

bobbys
06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
More RWW propaganda and personal slander. I was drinking Root Beer back then, made from real spruce roots!.

Last year we went to the Sunday Market in Astoria and i bought Root beer made from spruce from a guy that brews it.

I just had to try it very much good.