PDA

View Full Version : Look Out, Norm, Your daily cuppa is saying bad things about you!

Peter Kalshoven
06-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Your choice for a daily caffeine fix could be correlated with your political leanings, a recent report from Buyology Inc. suggested.

Republicans ranked Dunkin' Donuts as their "most desired coffee shop," the study of 4,000 Americans' neurological reactions to various brands showed. Democrats chose Starbucks as their favorite chain for a cup of coffee.

According to the report, there was a fair amount of disagreement between Republicans and Democrats on a number of companies.

On fast food restaurant preferences, Democrats said Wendy's while Republicans said Subway. On cars? Democrats went for Jeep, while Republicans sprung for BMW. Democrats and Republicans couldn't find agreement on professional sports either, with left-leaning respondents picking the National Football League and those on the right going for Major League Baseball. And HBO fans were more likely to be Democrats, according to the study, while Showtime followers more frequently identified as Republicans.

ABC News spoke with Buyology CEO Gary Singer, who attempted to explain the results using the example of the difference between two car insurance brands. According to Singer, Republicans choice of Allstate as their preferred brand could have something to do with its ad slogan, "Mayhem is everywhere."

From ABC News:

The Republican Party uses a similar fear-based tactic, telling voters that four more years of President Obama would be a disaster for the country. Republicans may be attracted to Allstate because both the party and the product build off of a similar emotion, said Buyology CEO Gary Singer.

Democrats chose Progressive, perhaps not surprising considering the brand name.

There was some agreement between the two political groups, however. Respondents at both ends of the political spectrum agreed on Coca-Cola as their most desired beverage, Apple for technology company and Google for internet brand.

Check out Buyology for the entire breakdown.

Peter Kalshoven
06-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Okay, it made me laugh... Sorry! :) :) :)

David G
06-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Politically, I'm slightly left of center... with some redneck/libertarian sympathies. Buying choice, though, tend to be Republican - according to Buyology.

Peter Kalshoven
06-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Feh.....

I'm a DD addict, so I guess I'm bucking the trend. I HATE Starbucks coffee.

It's funny, I like the coffee, hate the chain. Had a problem with them, and they handled it horribly. So, no more money for them. DD coffee is pretty good, but I actually prefer Krispy Kreme's Dark Roast. Good stuff.

Then again, my daughter works at DD, so I'm surprised I don't get more stuff there!

Keith Wilson
06-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Jeep???

I drink tea.

B_B
06-19-2012, 12:13 AM
... Democrats and Republicans couldn't find agreement on professional sports either, with left-leaning respondents picking the National Football League and those on the right going for Major League Baseball...
Not a credible study, no mention of NASCAR for right-whingers. :D

pipefitter
06-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Why would followers of either party opt for Starbucks, or Dunkin Donuts instead of making it themselves? Something as simple as making your own coffee can save a substantial amount of money per year. And we wonder why neither the Republicans or the Democrats can help the economy, or control government spending, when they both flunk basic economics before they even walk out the door in the morning.

crawdaddyjim50
06-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Why would followers of either party opt for Starbucks, or Dunkin Donuts instead of making it themselves? Something as simple as making your own coffee can save a substantial amount of money per year. And we wonder why neither the Republicans or the Democrats can help the economy, or control government spending, when they both flunk basic economics before they even walk out the door in the morning.

Absolutely! DD doesn't let you put your own stuff in it and I am NOT ever going to say the words Venti to get a cup of coffee. I make my own and savor every sip of it. Must be a FL thing.

Keith Wilson
06-19-2012, 09:42 PM
I am NOT ever going to say the word Venti to get a cup of coffee. Damn right! Y> Small, medium and large, you pretentious bastards!

bobbys
06-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Starbucks gives me one dollar cawfee now as im a Senior over 55.

When they ask if i want room for milk I say no i want room for Geritol so i make sure i get it for a buck..

elf
06-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Democrats buy Toyotas and Subarus, not jeeps. They know better than to buy inefficient gas guzzlers like jeeps.

As for coffee, Dunky's is brown water, not substance there at all. And Starbucks is pretentious expense. Home made coffee, or Green Mountain from the local grocery store, is the way to go.

Decent Democrats go to Panera for fast food. Subway's bread is all air and the meats are all salty junk.

B_B
06-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Damn right! Y> Small, medium and large, you pretentious bastards!

Yep, it blows their minds to order a "medium size, medium roast, black".

They always (phrases are chain specific, but the attitude seems universal) come back with a, for example "venti, ethiopian, no room, sir?" and I always come back with a "medium size, medium roast, black, you figure it out."

Pretentiousness isn't it. It's marketing and marketing and more marketing cloaked in pretension and superiority.

Peter Kalshoven
06-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Yep, it blows their minds to order a "medium size, medium roast, black".

They always (phrases are chain specific, but the attitude seems universal) come back with a, for example "venti, ethiopian, no room, sir?" and I always come back with a "medium size, medium roast, black, you figure it out."

Pretentiousness isn't it. It's marketing and marketing and more marketing cloaked in pretension and superiority.

Amen and amen! Mine is large, strong, and black. Or was, until I decided to quit going. When you're selling coffee at huge mark-ups, and you screw up, and you admit you screw up, telling the customer that "We're wrong, but we won't make it right" really doesn't cut it. I can always find a good cup somewhere on the road.

(I know a very short guy who likes to brag, "In Starbucks, I am Tall!" Shows the ridiculousness of the thing.)

George Jung
06-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Funny how 'they' were able to take something as basic/simple/downtoeartch as coffee, and turn it into what we have today. Funnier still how that 're-birth' has turned it into an expensive beverage, with cachet and capable of recruiting the young/getting them to pay ever-more higher prices. Marketing at it's 'finest'.

B_B
06-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Funny how 'they' were able to take something as basic/simple/downtoeartch as coffee, and turn it into what we have today. Funnier still how that 're-birth' has turned it into an expensive beverage, with cachet and capable of recruiting the young/getting them to pay ever-more higher prices. Marketing at it's 'finest'.
Yep. The story goes that the second largest franchise in Canada selling upmarket coffee, Second Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Cup), started as an airport coffee shop - after months of losing money the owner brought in a marketing guy who recommended charging $4 a coffee instead of the $1 they were charging and changing product names to sound European. These places sell image as much as product.

Being Canadian the usual alternative for coffee is Tim Hortons and I hate that stuff with a passion (everyone orders it "double double" - double cream double sugar - 'cause that's the only way it can be stomached). When on the road and in need of coffee I prefer McDonald's, failing to find one I'll look for a Second Cup, failing to find that I'll look for a Starbucks, failing that I find a truck stop. Anything other than Timmies, yuck! :D

bobbys
06-20-2012, 09:54 AM
They give out free cheap bad stale cawfee at the lumberyard.

Curtism
06-20-2012, 10:55 AM

Pipefiddy nailed it here. Good job . . .