PDA

View Full Version : Neil Diamond Sucks

Paul Pless
06-16-2012, 09:04 PM
But its inpossible not to sing along when Sweet Caroline comes on the radio. . .

Larks
06-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Now you've done it, you've gone too far this time!!! I'm gonna have to go and stick on my ND's greatest hits!!!

David G
06-16-2012, 09:13 PM
You're gonna make bobbys really mad.

Next you're gonna start crackin' wise about Slim Whitman... and he'll show up on your doorstep with a hot pot of roofing tar. You DON'T want that!

Peter Malcolm Jardine
06-16-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm going to see the Beach Boys this coming tuesday in Toronto.

Nicholas Scheuer
06-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Wife and I really like him. Of course we're Liberals, and you're not.

skipper68
06-16-2012, 09:29 PM
YOU TAKE THAT BACK! Girl, you'll be a WOMAN soon. I'm telling! ;P

Larks
06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Turn it up Paul.......I dare ya!!
<br>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&amp;v=gUCe3kUsCq8

purri
06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
I refer to it as "Neil Diamante" or as Frank Zappa so eloquently put it as Mediocrates of Pedestrium's "hot moves with the mike wire".

Steve McMahon
06-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Larks: you have given me a new respect for Neil Diamond!

MiddleAgesMan
06-16-2012, 09:45 PM
From a flaming liberal, I agree with the original premise, ND sucks.

Try singing his "Long Fellow Serenade" the next time you're out with some new hot chick and see how quickly you get popped in the caboose.

skipper68
06-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Tell him. I cant dance like I used to-(ankle) BUT I dance with my Captain no matter WHAT, with his better songs. :D Romance<3

Jim Bow
06-16-2012, 09:48 PM
A while back, CBS followed Neil around for a bit. Showed him riding his Harley with a group of friends. It started raining, and we discovered that Neil, et al, were being followed by his driver in a 2 ton International with a tailgate lift. Loaded the bikes, and climbed in the truck (double cab) for the ride home. He wasn't in the least embarassed.

Tough guy.

MiddleAgesMan
06-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I say he sucks, but only half as much as his old neighbor, oh, what's his name? It's right on the tip of my tongue...Christie Brinkley's ex...the Piano Man...?

L.W. Baxter
06-16-2012, 09:55 PM
I saw The Last Waltz at the Bagdad Theater in an altered state of consciousness about 20 years ago, and "Dry Your Eyes" was easily the trippiest part. Not the best, mind you, just the most.

Diamond is the Cheese Master, but his entire existence is justified in three minutes of supreme, oblivious, ridiculous charisma on Thanksgiving Day, 1976.

Dave Gray
06-16-2012, 10:10 PM
The wife likes him. I even bought her the Christmas CD. Me, on the other hand, would rather hear nails scraping across a blackboard. But then I am not much for Tom Jones, Gary Puckett, et al. Can't sing so singers aren't what I cotton to too much...

skipper68
06-16-2012, 10:15 PM
I was wrong. Young. Carry on..

purri
06-17-2012, 01:47 AM
The wife likes him. I even bought her the Christmas CD. Me, on the other hand, would rather hear nails scraping across a blackboard. But then I am not much for Tom Jones, Gary Puckett, et al. Can't sing so singers aren't what I cotton to too much...

Often referred to as Gary #uckitt and the Union $rap...

skuthorp
06-17-2012, 05:17 AM
I put Hot August Night and other such obscenities in the 'pot boiler' class. He was a much better musician than that but given popular 'taste'.............................
Private enterprise, capitalism and all that you know.

Mrleft8
06-17-2012, 06:41 AM
I like Neil Diamond...... And Neil Young..... Neil Sedaka I could do without.....

John Smith
06-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Ah, the variance of taste.

Mrleft8
06-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Ah, the variance of taste.

You like Neil Sedaka?

Rich Jones
06-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Oh great, now I'm gonna have "Sweet Caroline" running through my head all day...

Flying Orca
06-17-2012, 09:19 AM
The African portion of Tap Root Manuscript is quite interesting from a musical (and musicological) perspective. He anticipated Graceland by quite a few years. That's enough, for me, to earn him some respect I wouldn't waste on Tom Jones or the incredibly creepy Gary Puckett.

Lew Barrett
06-17-2012, 01:05 PM
I like Neil Diamond...... And Neil Young..... Neil Sedaka I could do without.....
Pless nailed it.
Neil Diamond sucks. I was forced to attend one of his overblown, overdone concerts about six years ago and I thought it was a joke. A hundred people onstage (literally) supporting a croaking old guy and backed by hundreds more off stage! The audience was even more difficult to watch.....a bunch of people at least as old as me who stood up and swayed back and forth with their arms in the air. They knew the lyrics to every tune! Very, very disturbing!

pipefitter
06-17-2012, 02:00 PM
My mom liked him alot. So much so, that when I was little, she found a barber to cut my hair that fancied himself a ND impersonator, and would have to start every haircut session with his guitar and a ND medley. Even dressed in the same style, same hair. . .and then the haircut would have to take 3x longer than most, for having to ND his way through it with ND trivia. I wonder if this has enlightened my mom as to why or how I may have been emotionally damaged in my youth.

I think that ND is possibly what caused the birth of that angry heavy metal music.

Lew Barrett
06-17-2012, 03:39 PM
My mom liked him alot. So much so, that when I was little, she found a barber to cut my hair that fancied himself a ND impersonator, and would have to start every haircut session with his guitar and a ND medley. Even dressed in the same style, same hair. . .and then the haircut would have to take 3x longer than most, for having to ND his way through it with ND trivia. I wonder if this has enlightened my mom as to why or how I may have been emotionally damaged in my youth.

I think that ND is possibly what caused the birth of that angry heavy metal music.

Many laughing emoticons!

John Bell
06-18-2012, 09:04 AM
About 15 years ago someone gave us tix to a ND concert. I wasn't all that excited about going, but went anyway out of respect for the folks who gifted us the tix.

We wound up having a great time at the show and singing along to a surprising number of songs. He's quite the performer and has a very deep catalog of songs that you'll remember fondly if you're like me and grew up in the 70's listening to AM pop radio.

ND has my respect.

Paul Pless
06-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Even cheesier than the Diamond version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y00vd5HM_08

Gerarddm
06-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Neil Diamond was good for his first hit, Solitary Man, but then...

Neil Sedaka's I Miss the Hungry Years​ is a small gem.

bobbys
06-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Pless nailed it.
Neil Diamond sucks. I was forced to attend one of his overblown, overdone concerts about six years ago and I thought it was a joke. A hundred people onstage (literally) supporting a croaking old guy and backed by hundreds more off stage! The audience was even more difficult to watch.....a bunch of people at least as old as me who stood up and swayed back and forth with their arms in the air. They knew the lyrics to every tune! Very, very disturbing!.

Are you sure you were not at a John McCain rally?

Phillip Allen
06-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Pless nailed it.
Neil Diamond sucks. I was forced to attend one of his overblown, overdone concerts about six years ago and I thought it was a joke. A hundred people onstage (literally) supporting a croaking old guy and backed by hundreds more off stage! The audience was even more difficult to watch.....a bunch of people at least as old as me who stood up and swayed back and forth with their arms in the air. They knew the lyrics to every tune! Very, very disturbing!

a CROAKING guy??? Have you heard the croaking being done by other singers and groups... there's thousands of them and very popular... the guy is in business to make money... so what?

some of the yelling and screaming that passes for music is astonishing

switters
06-18-2012, 11:17 AM
The Sons of Science. Now that Paul has a new bike he should look up the new bicycle related video from Sons of Science. It is called I'm on a bike or something similar. The similar part is why I'm not posting a link.:d

Pretty funny though.

John Bell
06-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Croaking = John Hiatt

BrianY
06-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Neli Diamond most certianly DOES NOT suck.

However, the song 'Sweet Caroline" most certianly DOES suck...especially when a crowd of drunken Boston Red Sox yahoos are bellowing it out at the top of their lungs because it's the Red Sox' song...even though it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Red Sox in particular or baseball in general.

Neil Young doesn't suck. Not at all. Sometimes he's not good, but he never sucks. Even when he's not good he's great.

Neil Sedaka ALWAYS sucks. ALWAYS. Even when you're drunk. He has no redeeming qualities and his music should be banned for the good of all humanity.

Tom Jones is so far beyond any human notion of good or bad that he renders all such proclaimations totally meaningless. It's like calling the sky "good" or "bad" - totally meaningless. He is to music as Siddhartha Guatama is to enlightenment. In this, he joins Barry White in the very limited pantheon of musicians that have transcended physical existence and become far more than human. They exist on another plane truly beyond our understanding. All we can hope to do is to listen to their music and hope that we are worthy enough to begin to understand a little of the cosmic truths contained therein.

Paul Pless
06-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Bump :D

ron ll
06-25-2015, 02:45 PM

i thought about putting Kentucky Woman in the thread of things I like about the south. :D

Rum_Pirate
06-25-2015, 02:53 PM
My vote is with the pro Neil Diamond support

Norman Bernstein
06-25-2015, 03:03 PM
But its inpossible not to sing along when Sweet Caroline comes on the radio. . .

Who knew you were a Red Sox fan?

"So good, so good, so good..." :)

Paul Pless
06-25-2015, 03:05 PM
**** the red sox

John of Phoenix
06-25-2015, 03:05 PM
I saw him in concert a few years ago and his voice was great but I was surprised that so many songs sounded so similar. I guess that happens without the benefit of a studio.

paulf
06-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Like Neal Diamond, you'll love this! Ear worm extraordinar!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_049Ioo-5O4

CWSmith
06-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Sorry, Paul. I saw him in about 1978 and it was by far the best concert I have ever seen. He rocked the house.

I have lost interest in every prima dona rocker who struts and can't sing a note. Diamond's band is the best in the business and he moves an audience like I have never seen.

ron ll
06-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Paul's just trying to bring me down on a day when it can't be done. I've finished the Neil Diamond album now, maybe I'll put on The Partridge Family or something. :D:D:D

CWSmith
06-25-2015, 04:56 PM
Paul's just trying to bring me down on a day when it can't be done. I've finished the Neil Diamond album now, maybe I'll put on The Partridge Family or something. :D:D:D

Sorry, Dude. You're on your own now. :)

bobbys
06-25-2015, 06:51 PM
ND was the forerunner to the blues, no ND, no blues, No ND , no heavy metal, no ND, no taylor swift, no ND, beatles white album, no ND, no blues brothers no ND, no American idol. No ND, no vegas Elvis, No ND, no ZAppa, no ND, no rappers., no ND, no snoop doggie, no ND, no deAn Martin, no ND, barber shop.

Paul just does not get this.

CWSmith
06-25-2015, 07:01 PM
Frank Zappa had something to say abt hot moves with the mike wire using the alternative name Mediocrates of Pedestrium.

I wasn't a big fan of Zappa, but I appreciated his humor. There is a story about The Chieftains and Tom Jones in Zappa's studio recording Tennessee Stud that apparently had Zappa rolling on the floor. It sounds surreal.

Virgin Gal
06-25-2015, 07:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3sEauiatoM

bobbys
06-25-2015, 09:24 PM
I'm not gay but if I wuz........

Old Dryfoot
06-25-2015, 10:49 PM
He sucks, and he's a thief too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZNt3ESnf8Q

Old Dryfoot
06-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Now listen to this, hear anything familiar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq7kbJ6m-1E

Still. . . it's kinda catchy.

Lew Barrett
06-25-2015, 10:54 PM

LOL!

Glen Longino
06-25-2015, 11:16 PM
I'm not gay but if I wuz........

"I'm not gay"...
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!:) :)

bobbys
06-26-2015, 03:03 AM
"I'm not gay"...
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!:) :).

So ?.

Now I'm afraid to say I like Michael Bolton?.

Glen Longino
06-26-2015, 03:23 AM

So ?.

Aw hell! Michael Bolton?
Some woman must have influenced you.
Hell, I don't blame you!
I've done worse things to impress women with how tolerant I am of mediocre talent, strained and screechy voices, and lame lyrics.

Glen Longino
06-26-2015, 03:33 AM

So ?.

Ha! Don't give me that!
You're not afraid of anything!
I've watched you for years coming in here with gobbledygook, miserable whines, and woe is me poor bobbys!
But I never saw you afraid! Nobody around here wants you to be afraid of anything.
We are your friends, regardless of our disdain at rare times!:)

epoxyboy
06-26-2015, 04:09 AM
Slow day in Hell, huh?

Pete

CWSmith
06-26-2015, 07:40 AM

You probably should be.