PDA

View Full Version : Photo question

John Smith
06-14-2012, 09:05 AM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/jdanton/davidgraduates013.jpg

This is my grandson getting his graduation certificate. I had carefully focused on the principal and held that until he stopped to get his certificate and shake her hand. He's NOT moving.

Anyone have a theory as to why he's so out of focus?

This was taken with a long zoom

Paul Pless
06-14-2012, 09:10 AM
He moved and there was probably some camera shake too, as even the principal, the foreground, and background are not what I what call 'sharp'. You were using way too slow a shutter speed, and/or you had your camera's image stabilization mode turned off. Your EXIF data will give you the details.

Curtism
06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Nah, if it was camera shake, the whole pic would be blurry.

Digital camera I presume? I'll bet it was the split second delay between the time you push the button and the picture being taken. Some cameras are way worse than others, incidentally. You said the young man wasn't moving, John, and he probably wasn't when you snapped the shot but it looks like in the time it took the delay, it looks like you caught him just as he started to turn or walk away.

Paul Pless
06-14-2012, 10:01 AM
I'll bet it was the split second delay between the time you push the button and the picture being taken. Really good point. Increasing the shutter speed would have helped make the photo sharper though. I still don't consider the rest of the photo to be exceptionally sharp. . .

Curtism
06-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Yea, it looks like flourescent lights too, which are known to play havoc with digital cams.

John Smith
06-14-2012, 03:34 PM
This was taken with my shirt pocket fitting Lumix, and I was a pretty good distance. No practical way to get any closer, and, of course, no flash, which would have been useless at that distance. Camera has an almost unnoticeable delay. He did the same thing all the other kids did: walk to that spot and stand there for maybe three seconds while he shakes her hand and gets the certificate.

Sure made a strange shot.

Shang
06-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Paul is correct.

Fodder Wing
06-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Another photo question: How do I access where I upload my avatar pic? Thanks, JD

Donn
06-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Near the top of the page:

Forum Actions/Edit Profile

Paul Pless
06-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Another photo question: How do I access where I upload my avatar pic? Thanks, JDGo to 'Forum Actions' then 'edit profile'. The 'Forum Actions' button is found about an inch below the Wooden Boat Forum Banner.