PDA

View Full Version : how important is college football

Paul Pless
06-14-2012, 05:38 AM
One of Jerry Sandusky's alleged accusers, testified that he had not come forward before now, because Sandusky had provided him with free tickets to Penn State football games.

John Smith
06-14-2012, 06:45 AM
For the record, I don't think any of these trials should have daily reports on the news. Leave it to the jury and tell me when there's a verdict. Yesterday they broke into regular programing to tell us Edwards would not be retried on the other counts. That would have waited until the news hour.

As to your question, the importance of college football is money. In that respect, it is extremely important.

Phillip Allen
06-14-2012, 06:48 AM
For the record, I don't think any of these trials should have daily reports on the news. Leave it to the jury and tell me when there's a verdict. Yesterday they broke into regular programing to tell us Edwards would not be retried on the other counts. That would have waited until the news hour.

As to your question, the importance of college football is money. In that respect, it is extremely important.

isn't this attitude in conflict with the 'early' bilge trial of Zimmerman? Why would that be?

David W Pratt
06-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Tell me again how sports build character.

StevenBauer
06-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Not at all important to me. I have absolutely no interest in minor league...oops...I mean college football.

Steven

hokiefan
06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
I love college football, more specifically Va Tech football. I spend (waste!) a lot of time following our team, reading about our players, learning our strengths and weaknesses. As well as those of our upcoming opponents. I watch the games, rewatch the highlights, argue about what we should have done differently. That said, it is entertainment and not particularly important. At the end of the game I either smile or say, "That sucked..." and move on.

Cheers,

Bobby

S.V. Airlie
06-14-2012, 10:15 AM
It's really all about money..I watch a few college games with no regularity though. When I see a college professor make the equi. of a reasonably good coach, I'll let you know.

Captain Intrepid
06-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Exactly equivalent to pro American football. So on a scale of 0-100, where 100 is the creation of Man and 0 is the likelyhood of Romney creating a moderately decent federal healthcare law, I'd say about 2.

Paul Pless
06-14-2012, 10:52 AM
where 100 is the creation of Man So you believe in intelligent design?:d

Captain Intrepid
06-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Aye, a creator that used evolution as a tool to create man in their own image.

Mad Scientist
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
For many people in north America, the answer is 'More Important Than Life Itself!!!'

But, not to me. When I think of college football, I think of jokes like 'Building a School that the Football Team can be Proud Of'.

I have an old copy of Sports Illustrated that quotes a study stating that schools with first-rate football programs tend to get less money from alumni than schools with more modest programs. But, that study was done about 20 years ago, and things might have changed.

Tom

Lew Barrett
06-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Zero worth in my world. Possibly negative value.

JimD
06-14-2012, 09:22 PM
College football helps keep teenage high school boys from going straight into the pros and getting their skulls caved in. So I'm in favour of the maturing process college ball promotes. As the for the boy who accepted the tickets, that's starting to sound like payment for services rendered.

pefjr
06-14-2012, 10:43 PM
You, of all people, and a native from Alabama, ask a question like that. It's not as important as O2, but it's fun to watch, fun to have a team to cheer for, and fun to watch future Tebows and Vicks. It ain't going away because of Sandusky. There are probably some more Sanduskys out there that haven't been exposed yet, and some that never will be.

Phillip Allen
06-14-2012, 11:11 PM
bread and circus...

pefjr
06-18-2012, 12:37 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/football.gif

BrianY
06-18-2012, 01:50 PM
I just cannot understand the American obsession with college football and basketball. I CAN understand being interested in it, following you alma mater's teams. etc. but the way that these two meaningless college sports dominate the lives and minds of such vast numbers of Americans and how obsessive people get over them is simply incomprehensible. It's also pretty disturbing.

Chris Coose
06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Thinking here..... I have never watched a whole episode of college football and I can't recall ever having a face to face discussion regarding the merits of the TV show. I'd rate it up there Little House on the Prarie.

TomF
06-18-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't find college sports of any description enthralling enough to follow. But I was once led to understand that a large reason that they're were (and maybe still are) so popular in the US is betting. It's about money - not money among players/coaches or even money funnelled to the schools - but money in gambling circles. The number of games, the number of ways to bet ... on wins, on point spreads, etc. ... means a lot of money can change hands.

pefjr
06-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Tom , do you remember when the drop kick was used in College Football?

TomF
06-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Do tell? Gave an opportunity for an unforced error?

Paul Pless
06-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Maybe this thread will get legs tomorrow when Sandusky's lawyers begin their 'histrionics' defense. Though, if that's the best they can come up with my suggestion would be for Sandusky to skip bail; this dude is not prison material. Where does Pennsylvania send sixty year old rich white pedophiles anyway?

TomF
06-18-2012, 02:48 PM
...Where does Pennsylvania send sixty year old rich white pedophiles anyway?The legislature? :D

pefjr
06-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Do tell? Gave an opportunity for an unforced error?No, not exactly, this is a football, not a tennis ball. Be a good research project for you or others that care little about the game. Then you could come back and give us the history of the drop kick. You will run across Bobby Bare, jesus, and Doug Flutie.

Waddie
06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Yep...imperfect systems in an imperfect world....

Don't a lot of minor sports, especially the "Title" sports, like most of the women's sports, depend on the revenues brought in by the particular school's major money making sports, like men's basketball, football and sometimes baseball?

Don't big revenue sports with national exposure help student recruiting overall?

Isn't the revenue from major revenue producing sports where the money comes from for scholarships for all those other sports?

regards,
Waddie

PS. Aren't there lots of countries just nutty over soccer?

pefjr
06-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Damn, .....I thought I was gonna hook Tom on College Football, instead I ran him off.