PDA

View Full Version : Data Mining

Larks
06-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Is now the more politically correct (or justifiable) term for "web browsing", or so I've now been told anyway.

skipper68
06-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm walking away from FB. Takes 10 minutes to read all who are mining when I look at my grandkids and family. They can email updates. Creepy.

Ian McColgin
06-14-2012, 04:44 AM
"Web browsing" is more about objective information while "data mining" is about collecting personal intelligence for commercial, political or security goals. At least by connotation, web browsing may well involve the use of search engines of varying degrees of sophistication but besides the notion that it's about knowledge, even if biographical, rather than "intelligence" - if you catch the connotive drift here - web browsing has more user choise of interest to it. Data mining pulls up corrolations - how many WBF members buy CPES from Jamestown and order hardware from Toplicht - that might not strike the conscious mind.

Flying Orca
06-14-2012, 02:42 PM
"Web browsing" is what you do. "Data mining" is what the people who run all the pages you visit do.

skuthorp
06-14-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm walking away from FB. Takes 10 minutes to read all who are mining when I look at my grandkids and family. They can email updates. Creepy.
I could never understand why anyone would expose themselves to FB personally. It's not as if there isn't too much personal info out there already courtesy of the health, tax and banking systems.

Stiletto
06-14-2012, 09:26 PM
I could never understand why anyone would expose themselves to FB personally. It's not as if there isn't too much personal info out there already courtesy of the health, tax and banking systems.

I agree.