PDA

View Full Version : a dingo got my baby

Paul Pless
06-13-2012, 05:03 AM
So do y'all antipodeans think Meryl Streep did y'all justice on the big screen???

stevebaby
06-13-2012, 05:17 AM
So do y'all antipodeans think Meryl Streep did y'all justice on the big screen???I've only heard one actor get an Australian accent right, and that was Dominic West (The Wire) when he played Professor Howard Florey. Not only did he get the accent right, but he got it right for the time and and appropriate for a man of Florey's education and class.
I thought the film pretty average. Streep's accent doesn't sound quite right to me, and it jarred all through the film.

purri
06-13-2012, 06:35 AM
Streep sounded like a cross between a Seth Effrican and a K1W1. Monumental FAIL.

Ian McColgin
06-13-2012, 06:48 AM
But meanwhile, the fourth coronor's inquest rules that it was dingos and the Chamberlain's feel vindicated.

skuthorp
06-13-2012, 06:54 AM
The original investigation was totally incompetent, prejudiced and maybe downright corrupt. Rumour has it that both counsel were astounded when she was found guilty, but the press had convicted her right at the start and it stuck. Being a 7th day adventist didn't help in a place like the Northern Territory was at that time.
Film was a shocker, waste of time watching it.

Mrleft8
06-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Where is Shane these days anyway?
(Or rather....... Where the flappdoodling whazaboot wingding blabbety scooddle little nipperz peekin' outta her blousey thingy whoop bing! boing! whooohaaaaaa! is that Dingdang blinkedy whhhhhhooooooooo PZZtttttthhhhhh! anyway? :D :D :D ;) :ycool:)

skuthorp
06-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Touting for tourists in Broome I think. Rumour has it that Facebook can find him. He still has a look round now and again.

The Bigfella
06-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Funnily enough, Shane's in the Northern Territory just now.

As for the dingo.... a nine year old kid (Clinton Gage) who'd been in my son's soccer team for several years was killed by a dingo in 2001. I think that was the start of the realisation that maybe, just maybe, the dingo was capable of killing a baby.

MiddleAgesMan
06-13-2012, 08:25 AM
....Being a 7th day adventist didn't help in a place like the Northern Territory was at that time....

I have always wondered about that. Seventh-day Adventists are viewed as pretty mainstream nowadays, in this country, fairly typical fundamentalist Christians. How are/were they seen in Oz at that time? Has that changed?

I grew up in the SDA church, btw, but I grew out of it.

Paul Pless
06-13-2012, 09:11 AM
I think that was the start of the realisation that maybe, just maybe, the dingo was capable of killing a baby.Isn't this something that Aboriginal Australians have known for a long time?

skuthorp
06-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Yeah, but you think a prejudiced whitefela policeman was going to take any notice of that? Things have moved on somewhat but there is still resistance.

David W Pratt
06-13-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm no expert, but Paul Hogan's accent seemed pretty genuine.

bobbys
06-13-2012, 03:32 PM
When your from Jersey any accent seems believable although Brad Pitt did not seem real at all in that Movie where he kills Germans as a southern guy..

Course i only met a few Southern guys with heavy accents so who knows?.

MS seemed pretty hot as a Eyetalian girl in The Bridges of Madison County, Her Accent i guess was Ok but who knows the only Eyetalian goils i knew had jersey accents or Long Island accents , So there we go again, Im easily fooled everytime..

Hey i just found out HOUSE is a English guy .

Gerarddm
06-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I know, Hugh Laurie's American accent is amazing, I am always surprised to hear his real voice. I'm gonna miss House.

Paul Pless
06-13-2012, 05:31 PM
I know, Hugh Laurie's American accent is amazing, I am always surprised to hear his real voice. I'm gonna miss House.

Damian Lewis as Dick Winters blew me away.