PDA

View Full Version : forest fire is 3 miles west of the boat shop

switters
06-11-2012, 02:32 PM
All that beetle kill was going to burn sooner rather than later. My friend who owns the property where I lease a modest bit of his barn was putting water on the pasture last night in case the wind carried embers into LaPorte. I saw a lot of that yesterday afternoon, well restrictions be damned. Lots of good friends are homeless, but it hasn't sunk in yet. Going back out tonight to see what a poor one armed guy can do.

B_B
06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Best wishes to you and those around you.

Paul Pless
06-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Lots of good friends are homeless, but it hasn't sunk in yet. Going back out tonight to see what a poor one armed guy can do.

Y'all stay safe!

skipper68
06-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Best wishes to you. Looks horrible on the news. 60 miles I thought it said. Be safe out there.:(

Mrleft8
06-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Be careful..... Got an indian pack?

jack grebe
06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
best wishes.......and remember, Nothing material is worth a life,
don't be afraid to walk (run) away if things seem bad.

skuthorp
06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
I feel for you, living in the bush as we do. Take care and don't get too close.

Bob Adams
06-11-2012, 03:46 PM
What Jack said....be safe amigo.

switters
06-11-2012, 04:09 PM
I live very safely in town (fort Collins), just the boat shop is on the edge of LaPorte, but thank you all for your thoughts. Right now I am concerned about those that lived up the canyon.

Last year over the same weekend we were all wondering how much higher the river was going to get and a few parts of the next town downstream flooded. Ya just never know.

From the looks of things chip-skiff may be getting the worst of the smoke this afternoon.

Glen Longino
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Best wishes to you and yours!
Be safe!

J P
06-11-2012, 04:44 PM
All that beetle kill was going to burn sooner rather than later. My friend who owns the property where I lease a modest bit of his barn was putting water on the pasture last night in case the wind carried embers into LaPorte. I saw a lot of that yesterday afternoon, well restrictions be damned. Lots of good friends are homeless, but it hasn't sunk in yet. Going back out tonight to see what a poor one armed guy can do.

Good luck. Can you get sprinklers on the barn roof?

The beetles are taking their toll here too (MT). I read recently where the local fed bug experts thought the current epidemic has peaked. We'll see.

Got an indian pack?

Unfortunately, this doesn't help Switters and friends any .... but, I just scored a bunch of firefighting gear this weekend from a fire contractor who is getting out of the biz. Piss pump was one of the items. He had a pile of them. He has a nice skid unit pump setup that I can't justify buying but sure would like to have.

JimD
06-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Fingers crossed.

CEFeighn
06-11-2012, 07:09 PM
BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use your head if things look bad get out, fire is nothing to take for granted, it does not care who or what it burns.

seanz
06-11-2012, 07:55 PM

Good Luck. + what other people said about people being more important than friends. Don't get yourself hurt or worn out 'saving' stuff, you'll be needed in good condition to look after people when they come around for a shower and some smoke-free food.

The smoke and cinders really gets in your eyes........

Mrleft8
06-11-2012, 08:25 PM
The modern pressurized indian packs do a great job of putting out embers and spot flare ups before they become fires. It's true that they're like spit in the ocean on a fire bigger than a Weber kettle grill, but they can help keep a roof from catching....

Canoez
06-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Keep safe Switters. Things are just that - things.

Steve McMahon
06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Yikes. Fire is bad. Keep safe and good luck. Risk nothing to save nothing.

Paul Pless
06-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Update?

switters
06-13-2012, 09:37 AM
fire is not any closer to town (east side of fire) and the winds have been reasonably low, the west side is expanding though. It is an odd fire in that the entire area shown on the maps is not burned. There are several big pockets of unburned trees that could still blaze up if the winds shift again. Meanwhile the community pulls together. The smoke is pretty bad in town this morning.

Paul Girouard
06-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Good luck, stay safe.

MiddleAgesMan
06-27-2012, 10:39 AM
So what's happening out there at the boat shop/farm?

I hope all is OK but the news from your area sounds pretty bad.

switters
06-27-2012, 10:53 AM
The boat shop/farm has been on the upwind side of the fire for a while now so it is safe, but the down wind side has been burning houses. Right now they think they have it about 55% contained and no homes have burned in about two days. Hopefully the wind stays calm and some rain comes soon. Lots of people hurting up the canyons. The community is pulling together and fire fighters are treated like royalty. I was driving back from LaPorte last night along part of the same route and at the same time the firefighters use to get to their camp in town. "thank you fire fighter" signs line the streets and people were out in groups on street corners cheering when each crew truck drove by ( I was behind a few of them). The air quality in town isn't great, but they have not evacuated anyone for smoke in about two weeks, so that is a relief for those that are down here.

thanks for asking,

MiddleAgesMan
06-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Hopefully being upwind has provided a nice firebreak on the chance the wind turns toward you. Glad to hear your shop and friend's barn are safe.

AussieBarney
06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
I,m a volunteer firefighter here in Australia. The rule is, if the the fire commander says "Bug out", that is what you do immediately. No arguements. Stay safe and I hope your gear does not burn.