PDA

View Full Version : New Woodenboat Website

john l
06-08-2012, 11:37 PM
it seems like it's been up for a few weeks now and that should be enough time for a website transition to take place, so i'm ready to complain.
1 - visually speaking, there is no brand connection to the magazine -
2 - clumsy interface = not interested in navigating.

i've been a reader of the mag since discovering it in '76. this new website is of serious concern to me. what's going on?

Carl Cramer
06-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks, John. We're trying to make it better.

Can you please be more specific about the two items you mention above?

Thanks, Carl

Dick Wynne
06-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I just don't know where I'm supposed to look on the new homepage as everything has equal prominence, and stuff popping up unbidden as I move the mouse (without even clicking something) doesn't help. I'm sure a lot of work went into it, but although it might have looked a bit tired before, I don't think it was functionally broken, which I think any user interface psychologist (if they exist) would tell you it is now. A graphical refresh is probably all it needed.

Wayne Jeffers
06-11-2012, 11:30 AM
. . . and stuff popping up unbidden as I move the mouse (without even clicking something) doesn't help. . .

That is my biggest complaint. This site is not the worst in that regard, but I find it akin to land mines. Having to click to activate something is not nearly so much of a burden/nuisance as having things pop up unintended and often block what I'm trying to reach.

Another complaint: things I frequently use (like the search back issues function) now being buried under another tab. I'll re-learn where things are, but it's still a PITA for a while until I do.

Wayne

Carl Cramer
06-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Do you mean when your cursor passes over the "Community" or "Forum" tab, and the menu for that pops down? Or is this something else (of which I am not aware)?

Thanks, Carl

Wayne Jeffers
06-11-2012, 04:16 PM
That's it. The four tabs at the top of the red area. It's a pain if I'm moving the cursor to the links in red-highlighted area and pass over one of the tabs above it, however quickly, the drop-down menu for that tab drops down blocking the links in the red area. I have to move the cursor away until the drop-down goes back up, then approach the red area link from below.

I'm old and maybe I'm set in my ways, but I would rather have to click on the tab (or hold the cursor over the tab for a full second or two) to get the drop-down menus rather than have things drop down with a hair-trigger blocking what I'm aiming for.

Wayne

Tom Jackson
06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
I have found it useful to bookmark the parts of the site that I use frequently. The WB index search page, for example, lives on my bookmarks bar.

Hunky Dory
06-13-2012, 11:14 AM
I am actually finding it easier to navigate once you get the hang of how the dropdowns work. I have found myself looking at stuff I didn't know was even offered. Or is there just more stuff there?

Old Dryfoot
06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
I like the new look, the color scheme doesn't work for me though. As for the menu, I can see it being annoying for some, it doesn't bother me but maybe a change from onMouseOver to onMouseClick?

Either way great job Scot and crew!

Carl Cramer
06-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Due to space considerations, not all our links are immediately visible. Thus, the drop-downs.

Or you can view the footer (at the bottom of the page) to find all the links.

Yes, I think Scot did a great job!

TR
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
The on-line index was simple to find in the old "Research" section (I think that's what it was).......It's hidden away now (in the footer) though I did find it. For me this is a "most important" tool. Every issue of WoodenBoat is under one end of my drawing board, the index makes this a workable library.......Otherwise the new face looks great......

Tom Jackson
06-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Tad,
The index reference isn't just in the footer, it's also in the "WoodenBoat Magazine" tab, > "Back Issues" > "Search Back Issues Index". I think what you say about the footer, however, is true for the Register of Wooden Boats.

TR
06-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks Tom.........Obvious now I know where to look.......