PDA

View Full Version : working even one hour of each week is just too much

Paul Pless
06-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Click and Clack (Tom and Ray Magliozzi) retiring at the end of the fall season.

Uncle Duke
06-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Well, they're in their 70's and they probably haven't heard anything new in 15 years. I'll sure miss them, though!
I tried to time my Saturday errands so that I could hear them on the radio - always great stuff.

Gerarddm
06-08-2012, 11:15 AM
NO NO NO!!!!!

Say it ain't so.

ron ll
06-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I just coincidently posted this in Misc. Didn't know about their retirement.

There was an absolutely great episode of Car Talk several years ago where one of the astronauts called in from the shuttle. Tom and Ray didn't know that. He went on and on about how his government issued truck was making a terrible racket and vibration for the first two minutes, then it would smooth out and be quiet. Tom and Ray spent several minutes asking him questions about his "truck" before they finally figured out what his truck was. I tried to find an audio or transcript of it, but no luck.

John of Phoenix
06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
The most popular show on NPR.

"And even though Republican members of the House of Representatives brush up on their slash public broadcasting speeches whenever they hear us say it, this is NPR."

Lew Barrett
06-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Great people know when to gracefully move along. If anybody didn't think these guys were great before, now they can add retirement at the top of their game to their list of accomplishments. Bravo Zulu!

David W Pratt
06-08-2012, 12:36 PM
I am constantly amazed at their cleverness.

Ian McColgin
06-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Hadn't know of their retirement but at Pease during morning break we were fantasizing the brothers "Block" and "Tackel" (Brad and Mike) doing a show. We phoned in questions like "I'm on the starboard tack in a moderate breeze. Which way should I turn to miss the rock dead ahead?"

NPR will be rerunning them for another 25 years.

Mrleft8
06-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Good show... I don't know if I could tell the difference between a show taped in 1987, and a show taped last month, but somehow I think I will miss the live aspect of the show....

McMike
06-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Bummer…

Phillip Allen
06-08-2012, 03:22 PM
I just coincidently posted this in Misc. Didn't know about their retirement.

There was an absolutely great episode of Car Talk several years ago where one of the astronauts called in from the shuttle. Tom and Ray didn't know that. He went on and on about how his government issued truck was making a terrible racket and vibration for the first two minutes, then it would smooth out and be quiet. Tom and Ray spent several minutes asking him questions about his "truck" before they finally figured out what his truck was. I tried to find an audio or transcript of it, but no luck.

I must have missed that one... let us know if you find it

elf
06-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Dewey, Cheetham and Howe.

Tom Montgomery
06-08-2012, 03:55 PM
All good things eventually come to an end.... *sigh*

NPR could certainly package a "best of" broadcast covering general problems rather than specific vehicles.

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I am constantly amazed at their cleverness.

They are both graduates of MIT. One has a PHD in physics.

johnw
06-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Well, I'll miss 'em. It doesn't matter if you care about the problem at hand, they're just great to listen to.

Jim Bow
06-08-2012, 09:56 PM
One of my faves: The kid who "borrowed" his father's Mercedes limo in Switzerland and drove to Berlin. He had a backhoe operator place an 800 pound piece of the Berlin wall into the trunk and drove home. He couldn't figure out how to get it out.

Then there was Arup Gupta.

bobbys
06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
I know how they feel , My wife wants a couple of hours a day but she does not understand Glenn needs me right here!