PDA

View Full Version : new brake pads tomorrow

Phillip Allen
06-07-2012, 09:17 PM
my nephew is coming over to help. Changing pads is simple but my hunkers just don't work very well any more.

The Bigfella
06-08-2012, 12:14 AM
What's a hunker? Part of your brain?

Phillip Allen
06-08-2012, 12:38 AM
What's a hunker? Part of your brain?

gettin close to the ground to get at the works of the wheel... butt close to the ground and knees at your ears... these days it hurts a lot more than it used to

hokiefan
06-08-2012, 12:41 AM
gettin close to the ground to get at the works of the wheel... butt close to the ground and knees at your ears... these days it hurts a lot more than it used to

That's what buckets are for. Either that or just sit your butt on the ground.

Cheers,

Bobby

Phillip Allen
06-08-2012, 12:44 AM
That's what buckets are for. Either that or just sit your butt on the ground.

Cheers,

Bobby

Bobby, nothin bends the way it used to did... I would eventually got it done but it's damned uncomfortable

hokiefan
06-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Bobby, nothin bends the way it used to did... I would eventually got it done but it's damned uncomfortable

Oh I understand completely. Thats why I've learned about buckets, sitting on my butt, and spreading out a tarp so I can lie down to reach stuff. Getting older sucks, but it beats the alternative.

Nephews with young bodies work too. :D

Cheers,

Bobby

The Bigfella
06-08-2012, 01:20 AM
I've been doing brake pads galore on my trip into Asia. Last ones I had to pull out and deglaze on some concrete after a mechanic bled the brakes and got fluid on the new pads. I couldn't even lock the brake on a bitumen road covered in sand.

btw Phillip.... if your brake fluid is 2 years old.... change it. (dont use DOT 5....... use 3, 4, or 5.1.... increasing levels of performance with the higher numbers... BUT DOT 5.... is not glycol based - I think its silicone (?) and I'll bet it'd stuff your truck's brakes).

Brake fluid is hydroscopic... absorbs water. Don't change it and you risk losing all braking just when you need it. Ask me how I know this... something to do with a Ford company car I had... brake pedal went to the floor coming down Dorrigo Mountain. A definite Oh Sh!t moment.

Phillip Allen
06-08-2012, 01:34 AM
I've been doing brake pads galore on my trip into Asia. Last ones I had to pull out and deglaze on some concrete after a mechanic bled the brakes and got fluid on the new pads. I couldn't even lock the brake on a bitumen road covered in sand.

btw Phillip.... if your brake fluid is 2 years old.... change it. (dont use DOT 5....... use 3, 4, or 5.1.... increasing levels of performance with the higher numbers... BUT DOT 5.... is not glycol based - I think its silicone (?) and I'll bet it'd stuff your truck's brakes).

Brake fluid is hydroscopic... absorbs water. Don't change it and you risk losing all braking just when you need it. Ask me how I know this... something to do with a Ford company car I had... brake pedal went to the floor coming down Dorrigo Mountain. A definite Oh Sh!t moment.

Heck, I didn't know there there was anything else except DOT3

The Bigfella
06-08-2012, 05:27 AM
I use DOT 5.1 but had to use DOT 4 in Sumatra - and I bought the only bottle of that that I could locate. It will still be DOT 4 here unfortunately. I've got to replace it again, it appears to bave boiled. Once brake fluid has boiled, its stuffed. I'll be bringing new disks back with me too - front and rear. My new, genuine KTM, rear disk only lasted 5,000 km.

Paul Pless
06-08-2012, 05:44 AM
and spreading out a tarp so I can lie down to reach stuff. Replace your tarp with a 3' x 6' piece of anti-fatigue mat; makes working on the ground most tolerable! I have a small piece 2' x 2' piece just for times when I have to work on my knees like plumbing projects and such. . .

Donn
06-08-2012, 05:57 AM
I have a small piece 2' x 2' piece just for times when I have to work on my knees like plumbing projects and such. . .

Not to mention begging for forgiveness.

Phillip Allen
06-08-2012, 07:16 AM
I use DOT 5.1 but had to use DOT 4 in Sumatra - and I bought the only bottle of that that I could locate. It will still be DOT 4 here unfortunately. I've got to replace it again, it appears to bave boiled. Once brake fluid has boiled, its stuffed. I'll be bringing new disks back with me too - front and rear. My new, genuine KTM, rear disk only lasted 5,000 km.

must be all that 'in town' driving... :)

Rich Jones
06-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Well, Philip, you and I don't share the same political views, but we do share the same aches and pains! I finally joined AAA because there's no way I'd be able to change a tire by myself anymore.
And with one shoulder so much weaker than the other, I tend to row my boat in circles.

Phillip Allen
06-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Well, Philip, you and I don't share the same political views, but we do share the same aches and pains! I finally joined AAA because there's no way I'd be able to change a tire by myself anymore.
And with one shoulder so much weaker than the other, I tend to row my boat in circles.

you think you have it bad... I"ve been rowing MY boat in circles all my life! :)

The Bigfella
06-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah... towns like this. Didn't actually use the brakes much here... it was engine off, in gear, let the clutch out to brake. The slope doesn't show... but I dropped 5,000' in 12 miles on this crap... in a thunderstorm. Couldn't use the brake because both feet were down, stopping falls.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/Last%20Java%20and%20Sumatra/060-4.jpg

The Bigfella
06-08-2012, 09:29 AM
btw... note the Garmin screen... pure white. Great map they sold me.

Paul Pless
06-08-2012, 09:32 AM
btw... note the Garmin screen... pure white. Great map they sold me.rofl!

Canoez
06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Not to mention begging for forgiveness.

It's a well-worn pad...

Phillip Allen
06-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Wow, that was easy... I just stood and watched and it took him about 20% of the time it would taken me and my back didn't even hurt. He even brought his own tools includilng floor jack and knee pad