PDA

View Full Version : A new era of madness: Up to $125 million on Wisc. recalls

johnw
06-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Well, it's got to be some sort of stimulus for the Wisconsin economy. And a lot of the money came from out of state, so that's got to help.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/06/new-era-of-madness-over-125-million-likely-spentin-total-wisconsin-recalls.php?ref=fpnewsfeed
The recalls in Wisconsin are finally over — but tallying the mammoth sum of money spent on them in the past year is not.

“It’s a moving target, and we continue to track the money,” said Mike McCabe, executive director of the campaign finance watchdog group Wisconsin Democracy Campaign. “It’s gonna be well into July before we can put a final price tag on the race, because post-election reports filed by the candidates aren’t filed until July 5.”

So far, at least $66 million in spending has been accounted for in the recall races that took place Tuesday, for the gubernatorial recall, the lieutenant governor race and four state Senate races, said McCabe. “Based on what we’re seeing, we expect that the total is going to be in the ballpark of $80 million or more, by the time everything is accounted for. And then if you combine that with spending in last year’s recalls, the overall recall election spending in 2011 and 2012 is gonna be between $125 and $130 million.”

“We’re in a new era of madness, if you ask me,” McCabe said.

However, the campaign spending that has been tracked so far only goes up through the May 21 filings, McCabe said. Of that amount that has been accounted for, Walker spent $29.3 million, and Barrett spent only $2.9 million. Walker was aided by the fact that the state’s campaign finance law allowed him to take in unlimited contributions starting from the time when recall petitions were first circulated in November 2011, up through when the election was officially triggered in late March 2012.

On top of that, Republican-allied groups spent $18 million, and Democratic groups spent $15.5 million, for a total of about $66 million.

ccmanuals
06-07-2012, 06:33 PM
It was a boon to WI radio and TV.

BrianW
06-07-2012, 07:35 PM
I understand the Democrats helped out the hotel industry in Illinois too. :)

wardd
06-07-2012, 08:02 PM
This was nearly 100 % the blame of the unions..They want what they want and thats it...fortunate for us that they did not get what they want
Next ,I'd like to see someone go after the teachers union !! what a bunch of cry baby leeches feeding from the public trough..

i say get rid of all the teachers

johnw
06-07-2012, 09:01 PM

I hope they spent some of it on newspapers. Newspapers are really hurting.

skuthorp
06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
I say to pay them a salary that is equal to their worth,Many would receive a raise ,,,many would get $9.00 an hour ,which is what many are actually worth..My daughter in law is a teacher amd a good one ...but their are many who are not worth their weight in piss
There will be those of course that think their teacher daughters are the ants pants and your DIL a do nothing layabout, or worse.
And their opinion is of as much value as yours. Teaching is, or should be, an essential service.

Phillip Allen
06-07-2012, 09:13 PM

maybe there should be a windfall profits tax? :)

Shang
06-07-2012, 09:28 PM
I say to pay them a salary that is equal to their worth,Many would receive a raise ,,,many would get $9.00 an hour ,which is what many are actually worth..My daughter in law is a teacher amd a good one ...but their are many who are not worth their weight in piss

CONTEST:
I counted seventeen errors in ripley's post, anybody count more?
Was it the fault of ripley's teacher, or of ripley's teacher's student?

wardd
06-07-2012, 09:35 PM
political advertising has to be sold at the lowest rates which drives down advertising income from other sources

johnw
06-07-2012, 11:56 PM
It's a load of money, any way you cut it. Now, to the presidential election. The most expensive presidential election on record, relative to the size of the economy, was the McKinley-Bryan contest of 1896:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TaANfNMb3Ms/T1EpnE6wJCI/AAAAAAAACbE/DXdff4ZM7FE/s320/cost+of+elections+gdp.png

It was a content between Bryan's advocacy of "free silver" and McKinley, who was backed by the financiers and stood for the gold standard. Hard money tends to transfer wealth to creditors, soft money transfers it to debtors. In 1896, about 60 cents out of every $1000 spent in the economy went to pay for the campaigns, with most of it spent on McKinley's behalf. I wonder how much we'll see spent this time around.

hokiefan
06-08-2012, 12:28 AM
What you seem to be hinting at is that there are some good and some not so good and to leave well enough alone..how about we test them every two years so we don't get the quality of teacher who screamed at the kid in school for saying that obama is not the bees knees ,.she ripped him apart ..try to listen to that ignorant bi#ch !!! she should not be fired she should be shot !

P.S. I have ny own rules for punctuation

And they are not correct. Neither is your spelling for that matter.

Cheers,

Bobby

feebly filling in for Donn :-)

LeeG
06-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Did Ripley just call you an ignorant bitch or the teacher an ignorant bitch? As another poster commented this country can't afford any more stupidity but there's always more ready to declare their righteous indignation.

Keith Wilson
06-08-2012, 07:39 AM
FWIW, 1896 was the last election corporations could give money directly to candidates. The other major issue was imperialism; we were on the verge of annexing Hawaii and moving toward war with Spain.

Another way to look at it; dollars per vote.

http://www.floatingpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Dollars-spent-per-vote-cast.png

Shang
06-08-2012, 07:48 AM
What you seem to be hinting at is that there are some good and some not so good (Missing comma ) and to leave well enough alone..(Extra period ) h(First word of sentence not capitalized )ow about we test them every two years so we don't get the quality of teacher who screamed at the kid in school ( Run-on sentence ) ( Odd sentence structure ) for saying that obama (Name not capitalized ) is not the bees knees(Missing period ) ,.(Comma and period )s(First word of sentence not capitalized )he ripped him apart(Missing period ) ..(Two extra periods )t(First word of sentence not capitalized )ry to listen to that ignorant bi#ch ( Extra space ) !!! ( Two extra exclamation points ) s( Missing capital ) he should not be fired she should be shot( Extra space ) !

P.S. I have ny ( Spelling ) own rules for punctuation ( Missing period )

Perhaps that is your right, we're all idiosyncratic here, but don't expect to be taken seriously.

David G
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
I certainly won't take you seriously,,, So sorry you don't have an actual life with things to do and somehow be a productive member in todays society... Nothing better than to check spelling and punctuation eros on the internet where everyone knows that speeling and typos don't count...Prolly count the blades of grass in your lawn and make sure they all lean left also !

I don't think it takes a lot of higher education in order to be able to have clear, cogent ideas (though it certainly helps). I know from a lifetime's experience that some very sharp folks have had very little formal education.

On average, though, a lack of clarity in writing is reflective of a lack of clarity of thought. And the celebration of ignorance is a sad and ugly thing.

bobbys
06-08-2012, 10:42 AM
I never thought of losing, but now that it' s happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life.
Muhammad Ali (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/muhammad_ali.html)

David G
06-08-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't think it takes a lot of higher education in order to be able to have clear, cogent ideas (though it certainly helps). I know from a lifetime's experience that some very sharp folks have had very little formal education.

On average, though, a lack of clarity in writing is reflective of a lack of clarity of thought. And the celebration of ignorance is a sad and ugly thing.

I never thought I would agree with you David on anything ,But you are correct in your statement...
Most of the others: As all democrats do , if you can't criticize the idea or solutions of a republican you always criticize the person for reasons that have nothing to do with the original idea.That is the way of all Democrats.

Well... that's nice. I wonder, though, if you read both paragraphs?

David G
06-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I never thought of losing, but now that it' s happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life.
Muhammad Ali (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/muhammad_ali.html)

Sometimes you make me proud that I invented you!

I do have to note that - if the huge imbalance in spending had been in favor of 'my' side - I wonder if I'd be as upset. Probably not. But I am still very much concerned about the Citizen's United and other campaign contribution laws that allow the richest among us to have an outsized voice in our electoral life. I think it just perpetuates the concentration of wealth and power into fewer and fewer hands. I think this concentration is at the very root of the Great Recession that we are - ever so slowly - finally climbing out of now.

Joe Dupere
06-08-2012, 11:36 AM
she should not be fired she should be shot !
Really? Words fail me. Perhaps when the time comes, she should just stand her ground.

Shang
06-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I never thought I would agree with you David on anything ,But you are correct in your statement...
Most of the others: As all democrats do , if you can't criticize the idea or solutions of a republican you always criticize the person for reasons that have nothing to do with the original idea.That is the way of all Democrats.

Evidently you missed the point, ripley. You were criticizing teachers, although your comments had nothing to do with the original purpose of the thread. So it seemed appropriate to point out that you appear unqualified to comment on the educational system or its teachers.

Paul Pless
06-08-2012, 12:18 PM
. . .the celebration of ignorance is a sad and ugly thing.Dude, I'm stealing this from you!

David G
06-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Dude, I'm stealing this from you!

Feel free. Spread it around. Maybe it'll catch on.

johnw
06-08-2012, 01:49 PM
FWIW, 1896 was the last election corporations could give money directly to candidates. The other major issue was imperialism; we were on the verge of annexing Hawaii and moving toward war with Spain.

Another way to look at it; dollars per vote.

http://www.floatingpath.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Dollars-spent-per-vote-cast.png

Hey, on those terms, we could set a record this year!

But will it be one we're proud of?

Since Wisconsin is on peoples' minds, I should say that part of Walker's advantage was timing. Not only did he have early money with which to define his opponent, he started going after Barrett while Barrett was still in the primary. Barrett had a much shorter window in which to make his case, and the late deciders seem to have broken heavily for him in spite of the money difference, so some of the factors in this election were particular to the structure of Wisconsin recalls. But the extra time would have done little good for Walker if he hadn't had the money to put up ads, so money played an important part in the outcome.

We all have a right to speak, but money helps you be heard. And given how often politicians lie, a disparity in money can lead to lies being heard and corrections to lies not being heard.