PDA

View Full Version : automatic answer claims a victim

Phillip Allen
06-07-2012, 10:18 AM
as the granddaughter is leaving the house to go home, I asked if she got everything and remembered things like her phone charger... "Yes" she says.
this morning she wants me to bring her phone charger to her.
so, who does she think should bear the consequences for her automatic answer?

wardd
06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
did you bring the charger?

Phillip Allen
06-07-2012, 10:35 AM
nope

wardd
06-07-2012, 10:38 AM
then it's what you thought that prevailed

Mad Scientist
06-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Drop it in the mail - I bet USPS is the cheapest way to get it there.

Tom

Glen Longino
06-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Drop it in the mail - I bet USPS is the cheapest way to get it there.

Tom

Bingo, Tom!
Quit being such an Iron Arse, Phillip!;)
Send her the danged charger and tell her you love her and everybody makes mistakes.
You're her grandfather, not God Almighty!

Phillip Allen
06-07-2012, 06:59 PM
I'll likely go out there in the next day or two

B_B
06-07-2012, 07:13 PM
nope
Remember this the next time you make a mistake. You're getting old, Phillip. You're going to need all the friends you can muster as life gets harder to live on your own; if this is the hill you want to die on, go right ahead.

botebum
06-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Bring her the charger as soon as you get a minute. Find out from her mom or dad when the phone is dead so the kid gets a taste of what happens when she screws up. Then get a minute.

She won't be "being punished" by anyone but herself that way and it's quite possible that she'll learn a lesson taught by herself.
You'll also be a hero for showing up after "I've been without my phone for HOURS! Thank you so much Grandpa!"

Doug

Phillip Allen
06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Remember this the next time you make a mistake. You're getting old, Phillip. You're going to need all the friends you can muster as life gets harder to live on your own; if this is the hill you want to die on, go right ahead.

if you guys think I"m going to make a 50 mile round trip so she can blow off questions like "did you get your charger", you are wrong

you will note that her parents did not come and get the charger either

Ron Williamson
06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
The I-told-you-so isn't necessary,either.
She already knows, so a wry smile and a snicker should do it.
R

Phillip Allen
06-07-2012, 09:01 PM
The I-told-you-so isn't necessary,either.
She already knows, so a wry smile and a snicker should do it.
R

I didn't tell her that. I'll take it to her the next time I go out there but I won't make an extra trip that long

her 'reminder' will come the next time she gives me a dismissive answer like before... children must be taught to be responsible and it's a process that doesn't happen at one 'telling'

Ron Williamson
06-07-2012, 09:09 PM
I didn't mean to imply that you told her so.
It's much more better if they learn it for themselves than to have Grumpa ragging on them.
Not unlike telling a kid to wear his coat because it's cold out.
He knows its cold out,but he wants a fight.
R

Glen Longino
06-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Lucky for you I'm not your grand-daughter!
I can think of a hundred places to tell you to shove that goldanged charger!:D

Phillip Allen
06-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Lucky for you I'm not your grand-daughter!
I can think of a hundred places to tell you to shove that goldanged charger!:D

if you were, we'd get along much better :)

I can remember my mother asking me: "Who was your servant this time last year?"

pumpkin
06-07-2012, 11:22 PM
if you guys think I"m going to make a 50 mile round trip so she can blow off questions like "did you get your charger", you are wrong

you will note that her parents did not come and get the charger either

Depending on what you drive, the fuel for a 50 mile trip is worth more than a cheap genaric charger.

Glen Longino
06-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Depending on what you drive, the fuel for a 50 mile trip is worth more than a cheap genaric charger.

It's a matter of principle with Phillip, not money!
You see, Phillip thinks it's his duty to be an icon of power and control and perfection for his weak, imperfect, and needy grand-daughter!
Someday, she'll tell him to go fly a kite(as she should)and Phillip will show up here whining that she is inappreciative and irresponsible after all his efforts.
Woe is me!

Phillip Allen
06-08-2012, 12:39 AM
It's a matter of principle with Phillip, not money!
You see, Phillip thinks it's his duty to be an icon of power and control and perfection for his weak, imperfect, and needy grand-daughter!
Someday, she'll tell him to go fly a kite(as she should)and Phillip will show up here whining that she is inappreciative and irresponsible after all his efforts.
Woe is me!

wow, you have read volumes into a pretty simple thing

B_B
06-08-2012, 10:30 AM
wow, you have read volumes into a pretty simple thing
Not to beat you up, Phillip, but I got a similar impression. Your tone in the OP and subsequently, or the tone I've projected for your posts, is one of superiority and condescension. If she reads it the same way then the only thing she'll learn is that Gramps is a Grump, but we knew that already ;) :D

Phillip Allen
06-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Not to beat you up, Phillip, but I got a similar impression. Your tone in the OP and subsequently, or the tone I've projected for your posts, is one of superiority and condescension. If she reads it the same way then the only thing she'll learn is that Gramps is a Grump, but we knew that already ;) :D

to say it as simply as I can think of right now:
I asked her if she remembered to get the charger
she said yes
then called the next morning and wanted to have me stop what I was doing and bring it to her right then

I don't think it is good to encourage a child to act in such a way... plus, I really didn't feel like making the trip even if it was free

Bobby of Tulsa
06-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I agree with you Phillip. There was a bad wreck on the hiway by my daughters house one morning. Traffic backed up for miles, I knew if she got on that road she would be at least two hours late for work. So being the nice guy that I am, I called her up. When she answered the phone she said who ever this is better have a major emergency calling me at this hour of the day. So I just hung up the phone. I think she got to work before noon. Later that day she ask me why I didn't tell her about backup.:)

Paul Pless
06-08-2012, 11:38 AM
children must be taught

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Glen Longino
06-08-2012, 04:47 PM
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Heheh!:D:D