PDA

View Full Version : Ray Bradbury has died

Shang
06-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Ray Bradbury has died. Another great one gone.

George Jung
06-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I almost dread scanning the Obituary section of the Times these days.... we're seeing a generation of front-pagers pass very rapidly now. But it does give us a bit of perspective, doesn't it?

botebum
06-06-2012, 09:56 PM
But it does give us a bit of perspective, doesn't it?One might hope but the outlook isn't very promising.
It seems that the visions he and his peers envisioned might come true in the worst scenarios.

Doug

Vince Brennan
06-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm gobsmacked! I thought him dead long since!

Well, Ave et Vale, old fellow. As a Science-Fiction writer, the man had no peers at all... check that... Peers a-plenty, but betters? None.

As a screen-play writer (there HAS to be a technical term for that.... Hack? Sycophant? Plagarist?) he did a fair-to-middlin' job of getting one of MY favourite books (Moby Dick) onto the screen while keeping as much of the original as "Mr.-Cut-and-shoot" (John Huston) would stand still for.

(Still one of my all-time favourites as they've got "Bert" Lloyd singiing the "Red Roses" Chanty with a silly eyepatch and a funny hat!)

Farenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles, "Don't talk about it; write."

A whole man... a rarity, much like Antony Boucher, Cyril Kornbluth and Poul Anderson.

He will be missed.

Keith Wilson
06-06-2012, 11:47 PM
"Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades":d:D:D