PDA

View Full Version : Dog phobias

Dave Gray
06-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Ever since we have moved into our new house, our dog gets manic around five in the morning. He is frightened out of his few wits and wants to climb in bed with us. At 74 pounds he is not a small dog and not welcome in the bed. It has been rather irritating as I am a light enough sleeper as it is.

He doesn't like fireworks, backfires, loud noises, or pretty much any noise. Fireworks drive him crazy. I put him in the basement with music once and found him four feet off the ground, climbing over boxes.

This morning I think I figured out what is going on. Birds. Yep, a towhee sits in the tree outside and greets the dawn with a loud "bree!" sound which almost sounds like a football or track coach giving signals. Our other house sported starlings, sparrows, and pigeons, rarely a towhee. So now I need to address Mr Phobia by giving him access to a fairly soundproof room in the morning.

JimD
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
... So now I need to address Mr Phobia by giving him access to a fairly soundproof room in the morning.How big are his ears?

Bobby of Tulsa
06-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Scoot your butt over and let him in bed.:) He just wants to be by you. Just kidding, Hope you can help him with this.

David G
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
My dog's only phobia is of being late for dinner.

Dave Gray
06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I miss my golden retriever. His only worry was food and lots of it. Although this guy did get into his dry kibbles once and his stomach distended about twice its normal size. He was very thirsty for a couple of days.

JimM
06-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Dave
To help your dogs get your dog and anxiety wrap. https://anxietywrap.com/default.aspx The wraps do seem to help dogs with minor fear problems like thunder or birds cherping. If he is startled awak the wrap will help him calm down. Sounds strange but works for some dogs.

Chip-skiff
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Ruby. . .

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-c7aQhXLGlk4/TU3X1HW4crI/AAAAAAAABGI/K2XujURteDk/s300/arubydog.jpg

is terrified by thunder, gunshots, whistles (cops and referees in movies), Arab guys yelling (on the radio), and occasional manifestations that we cannot perceive.

She believes that the safest places are a) on a couch, or b) inside a car. When thunder rolled, she once leaped through the open door of a UPS van, to the dismay of the driver. While she loves riding on my boat while running whitewater, she once tried to leap off when we floated by a skeet-shooting gun club.

There's a pill (Pro-Quiet) which is mostly an enzyme found in turkey (tryptophan?) that calms her nerves. Somewhat.

botebum
06-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Your dog is stupid.
I have a stupid dog too.
Love him. It won't make him any smarter but you'll both feel good about yourselves.

Doug