PDA

View Full Version : Garrison Keillor

Paul Pless
06-03-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't get it.

Is he for real? I mean does he really think that he can sing? or is it all just a big (and lame) joke like the rest of his show?

Phillip Allen
06-03-2012, 11:09 AM
some of both, I think...

Chris Coose
06-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Keillor's voice is equivelent to his looks.

In either case, does it seem likes he gives a **** for critics? That's what I like about him and others who sing and dance and don't care who is watching or listening.

It'd be alright with me if he was limited to one harmony per show though.

Phillip Allen
06-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Don't know. I tried listening to that show twice a few years ago. Wondered to myself, "Is this supposed to be entertaining????"

I get the feeling that he's just so full of himself, he can't see how bad he is.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-03oevRA6jjg/TWcKzIUiv3I/AAAAAAAADdU/ZGteZZySgC0/s320/man_in_the_mirror.jpg

years ago, he never tried to sing much. I think he must do it to carry the message that it's an old fashioned radio show and one should sing and not care. I started listening to him back in '85 I think... so long as he and his guests seemed to be having a good time, then it was what I wanted for myself at the time... it was good therapy for me

David G
06-03-2012, 12:19 PM
I, too, applaud his enthusiasm and willingness to sing out in spite of very limited vocal skills. I, too, would be quite happy for him to not do it EVERY show.

pefjr
06-03-2012, 01:20 PM
One of the few entertaining Shows left. Great musical talents every week.

Chip-skiff
06-03-2012, 01:40 PM
He's not a bad harmony singer if the person singing lead has a good sense of pitch. If the lead is shaky, then it's a wreck. And to hear Keillor singing a lead is a trial to my ears. He actually moos the notes.

I used to enjoy the show, but got tired of the repetition and the ersatz rural shtick.

Keith Wilson
06-03-2012, 01:56 PM
He can't sing well at all. I wish he wouldn't try, at least not take the lead. He's quite a good storyteller, though, if a bit uneven. At his best he's brilliant; at his worst - meh.

Eddiebou
06-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm a big fan of the PHC. I'm gonna miss it if/when it is no longer on the air.

Paul Pless
06-03-2012, 03:58 PM
He can't sing well at all. But the question is, "does he think he can?"

wardd
06-03-2012, 04:06 PM
He can't sing well at all. I wish he wouldn't try, at least not take the lead. He's quite a good storyteller, though, if a bit uneven. At his best he's brilliant; at his worst - meh.

he's a liberal he can't be brilliant everytime

Bob Smalser
06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Most of the teenagers who work part-time for us are afflicted with one thing or another, mostly ADD and bipolar. Betty teaches math at an Alternative School and providing the experience of paid work is part of what we do.

Keillor is usually harmless enough, but last week he did 9 minutes mocking those afflicted kids with a skit titled "The ADHD Band". Watching those kids faces sag as they heard that come over the radio was heart-breaking. They need all the help we can give them in feeling good about themselves, and I couldn't believe my ears of how downright mean that skit was.

Keillor should be glad he was 3000 miles away.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2012/05/26/

ron ll
06-03-2012, 04:36 PM
But the question is, "does he think he can?"

I don't think he does. I haven't listened in a while but I distinctly remember years ago that he was dragged kicking and screaming into singing. He really didn't want to but others on the show insisted. But he should have proven his point by now.

SamSam
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
He's not too bad but he needs to have his teeth filed and get rid of that whisssstling essss ssssound he'ssss alwayssss making. That drivessss me nutssss.

Shang
06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Years ago, when he first began PHC, Garrison's singing was horrible--well, if not horrible, maybe about as good as yours or mine. He made an ongoing stage joke about it, but he was obviously embarrassed about his lack of skill. Then, somewhere along the line, between one season and the next...Garrison must have taken singing lessons because his delivery improved markedly. He still isn't a professional voice and probably never will be, but I doubt that he cares much about that. The talent that is booked on the program is wonderful.

Perhaps he is setting an example for us, that songs were meant to be sung, and professional quality isn't essential.

You and I are not professional singers either, but I happen to know all of the lyrics to Clear The Track, Let The Bulgine Run, so we could harmonize, as long as we did it in the car, with the windows rolled up.

crawdaddyjim50
06-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Most of the teenagers who work part-time for us are afflicted with one thing or another, mostly ADD and bipolar. Betty teaches math at an Alternative School and providing the experience of paid work is part of what we do.

Keillor is usually harmless enough, but last week he did 9 minutes mocking those afflicted kids with a skit titled "The ADHD Band". Watching those kids faces sag as they heard that come over the radio was heart-breaking. They need all the help we can give them in feeling good about themselves, and I couldn't believe my ears of how downright mean that skit was.

Keillor should be glad he was 3000 miles away.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2012/05/26/

Sorry your kids had to go through that Bob. I don't listen to the guy as the whistling sounds he makes drives me to listen to commercials.

Nicholas Scheuer
06-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Suggestion; tune in an alternative. Some of us like Keilor. Same goes for Donnnnn.

bobbys
06-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Back in the days I was calling on bookstores in Minneapolis/St. Paul, he was actually banned from some of them. He was obnoxious to customers and a general turkey.

I haven't liked him since he did a skit about playing in mud puddles, which busted my gut..

Strange here is a comment from Arts links.

I met Garrison Keillor twice when I worked in bookstores in New York. He was poisonous, suspicious, arrogant and personally abusive on both occasions, and for completely different (and trivial) reasons.
— John.

The Man HATES Books!

Hank Rearden
06-03-2012, 06:33 PM
He's just a goofy old lib. His audience is made up of goofier and/or older libs.

Lew Barrett
06-03-2012, 06:50 PM
But the question is, "does he think he can?"

It seems to me we've had this discussion before.

I am absolutely convinced he believes he is a talent. If he is joking, the humor became stale fifteen years ago. Why would such a croaker sing with every musician who comes to the podium? Because he believes he adds something, that's why!

I can no longer listen to the program because of his dreadful intoning. Guy Noir is not enough to male up for Keillor's ongoing ego, and the waste of a perfectly good medium that could be used to showcase real musicians who do have something to offer.

I've been told that nobody in the business has the stones to tell GK just how lousy his gift to us really is.

The man is the living incarnation of the fable of the Emperor's new clothes. Cue the sound effects.........

Hank Rearden
06-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Where is that video Donn, is it on youtube? How would I find it?

Google "moby nick's ballad". It's a HOOT!!!

JMAC
06-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Try the Vinyl Cafe for a really good storyteller with great music too.

bobbys
06-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I have never heard the show.

I suppose i could be one of the few .

Radio reception is terrible here.

I have to walk around the house and yard all day just to get my tawkin points from Rush.

pefjr
06-03-2012, 07:12 PM
I have never heard the show.

I suppose i could be one of the few .

Radio reception is terrible here.

I have to walk around the house and yard all day just to get my tawkin points from Rush.http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/

Nicholas Carey
06-03-2012, 07:17 PM

I can say with some authority, having a brother-in-law who used to work for PHC, that Mr. Keillor is almost certainly bipolar and possibly ADHD to boot. My B-I-L had some run-ins with him over rather trifling matters that resulted his being cashiered from PHC. I don't want to go into details as the pool of people meeting that description is rather limited in size.

Lew Barrett
06-03-2012, 07:46 PM
At the public radio network I listen to most the on air hosts are employees of the state university education department and they appear to have defacto tenure. No matter how bad they are [ or good] they just keep on with their program and get paid the same. What are the ratings on the stations compared to commercial radio? Public radio here refuses to participate and pay for a rating program that releases ratings to the public. Public radio here says the ratings are misleading since they serve a different audience.

Another gov't program that refuses to be held accountable.

I have a lot more respect for public radio than to condemn the package based on Keillor's offerings alone. I also believe, but can't prove, that PBS has a huge subscribed base of very loyal listeners. The simple truth is likely that Keillor swings as much weight as he does because, like many programming options, my opinion (or yours) of what constitutes real value isn't shared by the faithful, so Keillor commands ongoing support. No matter; I just tune him out and listen to other stuff or log on here during his rants for equally opinionated musings.

PBS doesn't get the bulk of it's funding from the government, nor is it a "government program." I haven't checked lately, but last time I looked, about 15% of public radio's funding came directly from the Feds more or less as grants to the arts from NEA. Local affiliates may get more or less of their funding from various government agencies. This is especially so when as is frequently the case, the local affiliate is attached to a major public or state funded university. But here's the thing: so many of the engineers, voice talent, production folks have been schooled through PBS and PBS affiliates that their programming services really represent only a portion of the educational benefits they provide. I have no quibble with the systems by and large, but feel that the package provides many benefits on balance. Every now and then something slips in that is either not to my taste or my interests. So be it.

PBS would, I think, survive without government funding; just not nearly as well. I have a hunch that PBS's listener base is (justifiably) enormous; I am repeating myself.....

Some of what they offer is sterling, some less so, but on balance, I still think they provide the best overall programming on the air, so for me, they are worth the investment. And, despite the purse string attachment, PBS is not a government program any more than other grants issued to other art or science programs are. They get a portion of their operating money from the government in the form of grants. The rest is up to them.

PHC? Seems to be funded mostly privately, or by the American Ketchup Board as far as I can tell........

Nicholas Scheuer
06-03-2012, 07:49 PM
The ballad was posted by another low-life just like yourself, Donnn. Enjoy!

Paul Pless
06-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Well over 1/2 of the state public radio stations budget I listen to comes from tax revenue, state and federal and in kind support from the state university system.Which radio station?

elf
06-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Let's see, now. Keillor is going to be 70 in August. His voice probably finished about 8 years ago. His program is a cash cow for Public Radio and he has huge financial interest in MPR and other "Public" radio projects.

He has always had a slightly "earthy" edge to his humor and that seems to have gotten more pronounced as the show has aged. He ran out of story lines about 15 years ago. His talent offerings are very limited compared to the show's glory years. I hope he said something nice about Doc Watson last night.

If one studies the life stories of creative people it's quite clear that most of them would be considered bipolar or ADHD now. Just among musicians whose life stories I know I can cite Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, Wagner, Shostakovich, Bartok, Chaikovskii, Lully, Rameau. All suffered and managed deep senses of inferiority, poor life management, a need for isolation, alcohol problems, addictions to sex or scatalogical humor, chronic unwillingness to be healthy or live healthily, domineering behavior.

Then there are photographers. Ansel Adams was so hyper that his parents gave up on formal education for him. Galen Rowell was never at rest.

The diagnosis of ADHD is a catastrophe for the creative in humanity. Imagine the result of doping up any of those people whose names I have just listed.

Yeadon
06-03-2012, 11:02 PM
The guy is a genius. He created something new and original yet familiar, which can only be copied at this point. I haven't listened in about eight years, though. So there's that.

bobbys
06-04-2012, 12:16 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YdwmIhUxTJY/SHLq8LkzSHI/AAAAAAAAAnw/qcbxbACPlh0/s400/Jumping+the+Shark.jpg

Yeadon
06-04-2012, 12:23 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YdwmIhUxTJY/SHLq8LkzSHI/AAAAAAAAAnw/qcbxbACPlh0/s400/Jumping+the+Shark.jpg

You broke character ... bobbys doesn't do irony.

pcford
06-04-2012, 12:25 AM

someone will have to explain all of this to me.

bobbys
06-04-2012, 12:47 AM
someone will have to explain all of this to me..

I think he means stay in my dimwitted boring antagonistically :dDavidG character..

On Sundays and Thursdays i break out for a hour or so and hit the Irony happy hour!

pcford
06-04-2012, 01:04 AM

I think he means stay in my dimwitted boring antagonistically :dDavidG character..

hmmm, certainly no advantage to that...if I am understanding correctly.

skuthorp
06-04-2012, 02:34 AM
He's an acquired taste, but I like the show for it's quirky relaxed style. We get occasional seasons on non-commercial radio here but nothing regular. I think they buy a package of programmes when their schedule is getting a bit thin.

Hank Rearden
06-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Thats the guy from the http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi forum!

Some posts of his there have resulted in great mirth among the other posters.

I think he is just a trying to play dumb for a laugh.

Why else would he post such dumb stuff?

I first saw the video when it was posted on Sailing Anarchy.

Bob Smalser
06-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Musical variety is new and fresh and Keillor is a genius for inventing it? Please. As Glen Campbell gags and Minnie Pearl, Lawrence Welk, Ed Sullivan, Johnny Cash, Porter Wagoner and a few dozen others roll over in their graves.

Plus PHC no longer holds a candle to Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe for easy listening. Better storytelling, no political hackery, and no mean-spirited jokes ot skits like poking fun at ADD kids.

Garret
06-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Another gov't program that refuses to be held accountable.

What a distortion! It may be that your local affiliate is higher in subsidized $ than most - but it's anything but a "gov't program". My local station gets about 10% or their budget from the Nat'l Endowment for the Arts. As was said, most stations would get along without the $ - but not as well.

Plus NPR is the least biased news source in this country.

Finally - GK cannot sing his way out of a paper bag - but he does get some good talent.

Lew Barrett
06-04-2012, 11:40 AM
This is pure personal opinion of course, but I'm not a Stewart McLean fan either. I'm sure he is a nice enough man, but public radio never seems to do popular music that well, and Stewart McLean is boring (again, understood that is pure personal value judgement). Very hit and miss when it comes to bringing talent on board, I find him just as Keillor himself is when it comes to actually selecting music. And it's mostly miss, I think.

To be honest, I don't find Keillor all that political compared to say, Ira Glass and "This American Life." His satire about "Lutherans" and such might be offensive to some; I have always just reckoned he was born a Lutheran and within his rights (more or less). But he has become boring, repetitious, irrelevant and, increasingly (to my view) a victim of his success just as all yahoos who overstay their welcomes are. I get that he has a liberal bent but I don't even find him interesting from a political perspective. I think he's pure pablum; ketchup you might say.

They're (public radio) better when they are focused on what they can do well. Pop music has never been their medium but for each arse there is a seat; clearly why Keillor (and McLean) have such big followings. Playing 24/7, well that's a lot of air space to fill with unique programming. There are bound to be some dogs.

Overall, nobody does radio better.

Shang
06-04-2012, 11:49 AM
For Pete'sake, if you don't like Garrison Keillor, there is a knob on your radio that permits you to tune in some other station.

I don't like Rush, but that same knob provides alternatives.

Hank Rearden
06-04-2012, 11:52 AM
For Pete'sake, if you don't like Garrison Keillor, there is a knob on your radio that permits you to tune in some other station.

I don't like Rush, but that same knob provides alternatives.

Last time I checked Rush's program wasn't subsidized with borrowed Federal money.

Shang
06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Last time I checked Rush's program wasn't subsidized with borrowed Federal money.

As stated several times already, Keillor's program is "subsidized" by a relatively tiny bit of Endowment funding. Most of the money which supports the program comes from listeners' donations.

Rush's program is financed with advertising dollars provided by companies who believe that they can make even more money by enabling Rush's slimey, sleezy political stance.

bobbys
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
As stated several times already, Keillor's program is "subsidized" by a relatively tiny bit of Endowment funding. Most of the money which supports the program comes from listeners' donations.

Rush's program is financed with advertising dollars provided by companies who believe that they can make even more money by enabling Rush's slimey, sleezy political stance..

Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

Garret
06-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

No, it's not.

Nicholas Carey
06-04-2012, 01:12 PM

someone will have to explain all of this to me.

Jumping the Shark
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark)

Hank Rearden
06-04-2012, 04:19 PM
No, it's not.

So you think it's a good idea for the Federal government to borrow money to fund this nonsense? I don't care how small the amount, it's a waste that should be stopped.

fishrswim
06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I love GK. I've listened to him for so long that his singing doesn't bother me any more. It's just like one of my friends dropping by for one of our summer jam sessions. We don't expect perfection, but it's fun. Sorry you folks take all this so seriously.

Garret
06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
So you think it's a good idea for the Federal government to borrow money to fund this nonsense? I don't care how small the amount, it's a waste that should be stopped.

Damn sight better than borrowing money to invade other countries. Substantially cheaper too.

I'll go along with no $ for the National Endowment for the Arts right after we stop our overseas wars, stop stationing troops in other countries at our expense, & after we stop funding the Israelis.

Hank Rearden
06-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Damn sight better than borrowing money to invade other countries. Substantially cheaper too.

I'll go along with no $ for the National Endowment for the Arts right after we stop our overseas wars, stop stationing troops in other countries at our expense, & after we stop funding the Israelis.

So what's Barry been waiting for? If he's waiting for his second term it's looking like he's gonna be SOL.

MiddleAgesMan
06-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't mind his singing so much as his penchant for toilet humor. I was a regular listener 10 or 15 years ago and don't recall such stuff but the few shows I've heard recently had an abundance of gross jokes about toilet functions and farting. If I was sitting in the audience when he started that s...t I would get up and leave.

It's not funny, Mr. Keillor, it STINKS!

Shang
06-04-2012, 07:35 PM

And what are your qualifications to sit on the board of The National Endowment for the Arts?

Lew Barrett
06-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Sorry you folks take all this so seriously.

It's just discussion, and of course, why people come here. "Serious" is a heart attack or losing your job of 20 years to outsourcing (or whatever).

In the meantime, this is a pass time.

Anyway it's not about us taking ourselves seriously, it's about Keillor taking himself seriously! I do take NPR sort of seriously though......one of my favorite sources. I have no idea how much of my tax money goes to it, but I'm all for whatever pittance it is they give them. I get a benefit I enjoy. What a concept!

elf
06-04-2012, 07:48 PM

Don't make opinions about things you can't comprehend - like a sense of humor. Leave that to people who can.

Hank Rearden
06-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Don't make opinions about things you can't comprehend - like a sense of humor. Leave that to people who can.

Do you comprehend budget deficits and wasteful government spending? If so, and if you like Garrison Keillor why donation to PBS so the taxpayers who don't like him don't have to.

Lew Barrett
06-04-2012, 09:00 PM
"Hank,"

It might help you to understand just how much of the money NPR needs to operate comes from grants (not all of them government funded) and corporate and private sponsorship if you read their statement here. (http://www.npr.org/about/aboutnpr/publicradiofinances.html#financials)
You will come to see that NPR and it's associated operations and entities are largely self supporting and your concern about their operation, and who funds Keillor, really can't be laid at the feet of our tax dollars. In fact, even as a GK detractor, I still would wager that he nets MPR and NPR more private cash than just about anybody on their program roster. I will be so bold as to say that PHC is one of the most successful radio programs on the air in the truest sense of capitalism. That is, it operates as a self sufficient entity.

Some programs, operating without Keillor's inflated draw, probably need tax support more. Those likely include the astronomy shows, the smaller features and the like. You know....the truly educational, apolitical content. Programs with an axe to grind almost always find their own funding. Take Rush for instance....

Garret
06-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Lew - don't try to confuse things with facts & logic. They fly in the face of previously held beliefs.

Ya hafta give him some leeway - as his world view is rather distorted seeing things from the Vineyard....

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-05-2012, 05:50 AM
I don't get it.

Is he for real? I mean does he really think that he can sing? or is it all just a big (and lame) joke like the rest of his show?

Keillor is an American icon, bubba. Because he is very talented he gets to do what he likes. Everyone on those shows knows they have to key on whatever Keillor does. And he often changes gears without notice yet everything comes off with no one the wiser.
Sorry his talents are not to your taste, but what is?

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-05-2012, 05:55 AM

I don't care you don't care, Hank. Art ain't for dummies.

Hank Rearden
06-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't care you don't care, Hank. Art ain't for dummies.

I have to yield to your vast experience with what is or isn't good for dummies. There is no good reason for the Federal government to spend a nickel on this stuff when they are borrowing 40% of what they spend.

Lew Barrett
06-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Lew - don't try to confuse things with facts & logic. They fly in the face of previously held beliefs.

Ya hafta give him some leeway - as his world view is rather distorted seeing things from the Vineyard....

I didn't expect a response, Garret, even if I hoped for one. Discussion is only for those who will engage in it.

Garret
06-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I didn't expect a response, Garret, even if I hoped for one. Discussion is only for those who will engage in it.

Kinda thought that might be the case.....