PDA

View Full Version : Down at the BBQ shack

Ian McColgin
06-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Lifted anonomously from a friend:

We were getting BBQ from a small mom-and-pop takeaway place with literally a seven item menu this evening and a group of 4 came in:

"Do you have kale?" one fellow asked.

"No," the chef answered. 

"Do you have chard?" he inquired.

"No," the chef said. 

"What about mustard greens," he asked. 

"No," the chef responded. 

"Do you have anything vegetarian?" the woman with the group asked. 

"We have coleslaw and potato salad," the chef replied.

"I can't have mayonnaise, I'm vegan," she answered. 

"We have buns," the chef told her.

"I have celiac disease," she said. "I can't eat wheat." 

"We have coke," the chef said.

I turned to Sam and said, "I feel like I just walked into a bad joke, ' A vegan with celiac disease walks into a BBQ joint ... ' "

Mrleft8
06-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Yup..... Had the same thing happen at a BBQ place in North Brattleboro, VT, several years ago...... This was a converted school bus with a stove pipe coming out the roof, billowing meat smoke, and a very clear menu board that listed the items available..... Ribs, pulled pork, corn bread with bacon, and something else..... A whiny couple of Whole Earth Catalog rejects started asking the same questions..... Finally the guy stopped what he was doing, and asked "Can you read? That's what we got. You want something else, go grow it yourself!"

S.V. Airlie
06-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Nothing surprises me when it comes down to what some want to eat and ask for something that isn't there..
There was a guy who used to come in for the specials. He would look at the menu; mashed potatoes, chicken broiled with some sauce, salad,cheesecake,and peas. He would then ask for rare hamburger, cole slaw, baked potato, choc cake, and spinach and then wonder why he wasn't being charged the specials price.