PDA

View Full Version : Launchings/Haulings

john l
06-02-2012, 10:15 AM
How about a new section on the forum titled launchings/haulings. This section would be devoted to photos of summer launchings and winter haulings and document these milestones. It would be a great way to meet forum members and their boats.

This section would become a live and more detailed and complete version of the magazine's launchings section.
The excitement and thrill of these events are always fun and the opportunity to survey the many designs would be fantastic. I think it could also stimulate forum viewership. It certainly would add to woodenboat community
And mission.

TerryLL
06-02-2012, 10:25 AM
+1. I like it.

Scot
06-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Interesting.
-Scot

Larks
06-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Interesting idea and I don't want to be negative and rain on your parade, but there's something quite enjoyable about seeing a thread dedicated to a particular boat and owner and the conversations, questions and discussions surrounding that, personally I think a number of very worthy individual events would be unfairly lost amongst others.

However that's not to say that someone couldn't post on both this thread and their own dedicated thread with a link in this thread to their own...........???????

Carl Cramer
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
You do know about this on the new website, right?

http://www.woodenboat.com/boat-launchings

If you register (for free), you can post comments, etc.

Gold Rock
06-04-2012, 01:53 PM
It could be a fun idea and Larks, I think you answered your own question so to speak. There would be nothing to stop spin off threads at any time. The forum itself could act as a crucible for discussion at the least.

john l
06-08-2012, 03:18 PM
You do know about this on the new website, right?

http://www.woodenboat.com/boat-launchings

If you register (for free), you can post comments, etc.

Hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. Must have been subliminal as the wb home page was scaling up and down
On my iPad and I couldn'tread it ...yep, I'm not running the mobile app either. Will get to it soon.

Ian McColgin
06-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Some of us already happily report our hauls and launches, boat yard pics and all that. If routine, it's either People and Places or Misc Boat Related. If an interesting repair . . .

Point is, those who want to have a place in the Forum as it is and those who want to read about it find the notices easily. In many taxonomies there's the problem of the One (not really enough choice) and the Many which is often way too many and that dilemma seems to exclude the useful few. Seems to me that five decks is enough to distinguish and not so many that choice becomes numbing.

Wayne Jeffers
06-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Some of us already happily report our hauls and launches, boat yard pics and all that. If routine, it's either People and Places or Misc Boat Related. If an interesting repair . . .

. . . Seems to me that five decks is enough to distinguish and not so many that choice becomes numbing.

+1

I frequent some other forums (that have nothing to do with boats) that have so many sub-categories of discussion that the places to look are overwhelming in number. If some of the WB forum "decks" were so crowded that it was a problem to sift through a multitude of diverse subjects, I could justify splitting them up. As it stands now, no. Enough sub-categories already!

Wayne

Wayne Jeffers
06-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Thinking about this a little more . . .

If the WB Forum were to have another category, I might wish for a "Misc Non-Boat, Non-Politics and Religion" (by whatever name) leaving arguments about the latter for the Bilge.

Wayne

john l
06-09-2012, 12:28 AM
ok - i just signed up on the wb website. first reaction - pain in the a. give me the old website. second reaction - went to launchings and found no fotos.
i'll try again in the am when fresh, but not so sure i like the new site. it may not be as friendly as the old site...and a barrier to WB brand relationship.