PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rogers on the Dollar

RodSBT
06-01-2012, 01:29 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/jim-rogers-dollar-doomed-own-real-assets-162348972.html

skipper68
06-01-2012, 02:14 PM
I found the comments much more informative than the article.

John of Phoenix
06-01-2012, 02:18 PM
The man is a broken record. He's been saying the same things for 20 years. Why he gets any press coverage at all is a mystery.

RodSBT
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Would either of you two like to compare investment portfolios with J. Rogers?
You both seem confident in your assertions that Rogers is not worthy of your "expertize".

David G
06-01-2012, 04:25 PM
You both seem confident in your assertions that Rogers is not worthy of your "expertize".

There are all kinds of ways to make money in the investment world. Some are more honorable, some less. Some are sustainable long-term, some not. More importantly... the ability to survive, and even prosper, in that world has not been shown to confer wisdom in matters of public policy. In fact - public policy pronouncement from such fellas frequently turn out to be bad ideas - driven as they are primarily by their overweening self-interest. One can find evidence for that throughout history. Today's example is Donald Trump.

Careful. If you insist on posting irrelevant nonsense from overheated dingleberries... people might begin to wonder if maybe you're nothing more than a dingleberry.

skuthorp
06-01-2012, 04:27 PM
And here was I thinking that you'd put the great Jimmy Rogers on the currency.................

RodSBT
06-01-2012, 07:59 PM
There are all kinds of ways to make money in the investment world. Some are more honorable, some less. Some are sustainable long-term, some not. More importantly... the ability to survive, and even prosper, in that world has not been shown to confer wisdom in matters of public policy. In fact - public policy pronouncement from such fellas frequently turn out to be bad ideas - driven as they are primarily by their overweening self-interest. One can find evidence for that throughout history. Today's example is Donald Trump.

Careful. If you insist on posting irrelevant nonsense from overheated dingleberries... people might begin to wonder if maybe you're nothing more than a dingleberry.

So where is Rogers wrong about the dollar and the economic situation?

How about you Norm. Any insight that proves Rogers assessment is for the dingleberries?

johnw
06-01-2012, 08:17 PM
The story is dated June 2011, so it's actually possible to check on whether he was right.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/USD/hist2011.html

In June, a dollar was worth 0.695079 EUR

In Dec., a dollar was worth 0.758942 EUR

The dollar started rising against the Euro shortly after he announced that "Ninety-eight percent of the world is pessimistic on the U.S. dollar."

http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/USD/hist2011.png

So people demonstrated their pessimism by dumping Euros and buying dollars. And Rogers looks like a genius for going long on the dollar, and an idiot for telling others not to.

He was having it both ways, and not surprisingly, one of those ways was right this time, and perhaps the other of those ways will be right the next time. Heads he wins, tails he wins.

The man's a genius, I tell you.

RodSBT
06-01-2012, 09:51 PM
The story is dated June 2011, so it's actually possible to check on whether he was right.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/USD/hist2011.html

In June, a dollar was worth 0.695079 EUR

In Dec., a dollar was worth 0.758942 EUR

The dollar started rising against the Euro shortly after he announced that "Ninety-eight percent of the world is pessimistic on the U.S. dollar."

http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/USD/hist2011.png

So people demonstrated their pessimism by dumping Euros and buying dollars. And Rogers looks like a genius for going long on the dollar, and an idiot for telling others not to.

He was having it both ways, and not surprisingly, one of those ways was right this time, and perhaps the other of those ways will be right the next time. Heads he wins, tails he wins.

The man's a genius, I tell you.

You really don't understand the big picture do you?

johnw
06-02-2012, 12:00 AM
You really don't understand the big picture do you?

Enlighten me. O Master.

Anthony Zucker
06-03-2012, 09:32 AM
From Johnw;

"He was having it both ways, and not surprisingly, one of those ways was right this time, and perhaps the other of those ways will be right the next time. Heads he wins, tails he wins.

The man's a genius, I tell you. "

I should send this to Jim, he loves admiration.

I dont know about genius, but he does have the Midas touch.

One of the few times he lost on something was 40 years ago when Jeanne told a friend that it was time she met Mr Right and friend invited her to meet two bachelors at a party in Cambridge. One was Jim, who was described as involved in Wall ST in something new called a hedge fund with a guy named George Soros. They were borrowing millions of dollars and betting that people would prefer to pay for water in plastic bottles than drink tap water. The other was me, described as just back from Israel and looking for a job. After interviewing both, Jeanne picked me.

We visit Jim occasionally in NYC where he is as charming and gracious as he appears on the tube. He enjoys sharing his pearls of wisdom on the futures market.

Gerarddm
06-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Charming, certainly; avuncular, even. Gifted with his money, yes.

But to paraphrase Robert E. Lee on John Bell Hood, ' doubtful as to the other qualities necessary ' as a prognosticator.

johnw
06-03-2012, 04:03 PM
From Johnw;

"He was having it both ways, and not surprisingly, one of those ways was right this time, and perhaps the other of those ways will be right the next time. Heads he wins, tails he wins.

The man's a genius, I tell you. "

I should send this to Jim, he loves admiration.

I dont know about genius, but he does have the Midas touch.

One of the few times he lost on something was 40 years ago when Jeanne told a friend that it was time she met Mr Right and friend invited her to meet two bachelors at a party in Cambridge. One was Jim, who was described as involved in Wall ST in something new called a hedge fund with a guy named George Soros. They were borrowing millions of dollars and betting that people would prefer to pay for water in plastic bottles than drink tap water. The other was me, described as just back from Israel and looking for a job. After interviewing both, Jeanne picked me.

We visit Jim occasionally in NYC where he is as charming and gracious as he appears on the tube. He enjoys sharing his pearls of wisdom on the futures market.

And while he told people the dollar might go down, he went long on it, and was right. I'm sure at some point, it will go down, and he'll probably be positioned right for that as well. I'm not saying he's bad at his job, quite the contrary, his success speaks for itself.

But the Delphic quality of his prognostication in this case was designed to protect his reputation for sagacity whether the dollar went up or down. I'll bet he's a lot less Delphic when advising friends. When a public figure is protecting the brand that is his good name, such a person would be well advised to copy this man's example.

crawdaddyjim50
06-03-2012, 08:07 PM

You see he does this thing where he convinces everyone else to sell which depresses the stock and because he has already shorted the DOW he wins on the way down and uses those profits to buy at the bottom. Ha Ha Ha, suckas

RodSBT
06-03-2012, 10:03 PM
You see he does this thing where he convinces everyone else to sell which depresses the stock and because he has already shorted the DOW he wins on the way down and uses those profits to buy at the bottom. Ha Ha Ha, suckas

Ah Yes, your average broker and investor are so stupid they've been falling for Rogers ruse for decades now and all run to the slaughter year in year out, never understanding how they've been duped. Blood runs in the streets whenever Jim Rogers speaks.

Only the oracles of the Wooden Boat Forum have divined his true intent to deceive these poor innocents .:rolleyes:

hanleyclifford
06-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Maybe Mr. Rogers knew that the europeans would be even more reckless than the US and the dollar would rise against the euro. Even Obama has been lecturing th europeans to get their house in order. BTW, on the Street the saying goes, "Sooner or later everyone is right"

Waddie
06-04-2012, 12:28 AM

I guess Obama better quit parroting the advice he gets from Warren Buffet...... :)

Here's a site that tracks the success rate of forecasting wizards;

http://www.cxoadvisory.com/gurus/

regards,
Waddie

johnw
06-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Maybe Mr. Rogers knew that the europeans would be even more reckless than the US and the dollar would rise against the euro. Even Obama has been lecturing th europeans to get their house in order. BTW, on the Street the saying goes, "Sooner or later everyone is right"

Now George Soros is lecturing as well. Much good it's likely to do.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47642499

Soros and Rogers are bound to find some way to profit from the crisis they foresee, but how do we stop it?