PDA

View Full Version : Doc Martin in England

Dan McCosh
06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Dunno if anyone here has seen this TV show, about a grumpy ex-surgeon who developed a phobic fear of blood, and is attempting to restart as a GP in a small town in England. It has developed a pretty intense following, with reruns on public television. Around here, it's gained a kind of underground popularity, including DVDS, which are nearly impossible to find. Anyway, since it originated with the BBC, I was wondering if it is as popular in its home country. It's kind of a fish-and-chips version of Northern Exposure.

Canoeyawl
06-01-2012, 10:19 AM
PBS - KQED has DVD's

JimD
06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
We watch it quite often. Good fun.

Dan McCosh
06-02-2012, 06:15 PM
So it's a flop in the UK?

purri
06-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Nor is it a flop here. Been running for years.

Jim Bow
06-02-2012, 09:14 PM
All 5 seasons are available on Netflix. Port Isaac, where it's filmed, is up in arms over any further production. The small town is being jammed with tourists, mainly with their cars. Kinda like Roslyn WA, when Northern Exporsure was in production.

bobbys
06-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I like it but i like DR HOUSE better ..

Saw him on a tawk show and he spoke with a English accent!.

Sure fooled me!

Is there some law Doctors have to be grumpy?

AnalogKid
06-03-2012, 03:56 AM
I like it but i like DR HOUSE better ..

Saw him on a tawk show and he spoke with a English accent!.

Sure fooled me!

Is there some law Doctors have to be grumpy?

Sorry, but I do find this funny. I assumed that Americans would see right through Hugh Laurie's accent, that it would even bother them.

In his home country he's far better known as the sidekick to Stephen Fry, who he appeared with from university days.

He's a very talented chap though, last thing I saw him in was a doco of him travelling through the southern states and playing blues with as many living legends as he could find. He sings with an American accent, maybe that's how he ended up getting casted in House.

David W Pratt
06-03-2012, 11:27 AM
We like it.
Also suggest "Waiting for God", set in a nursing home, hysterical.

purri
06-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Another goodun is Hyacinth Bouquet.