PDA

View Full Version : And not a moment too soon....

George Jung
05-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Pull up a barcalounger, get a beer from The Pub, and take a look at this. It rather feels as if I've been granted a pardon, all over again. Whoo hoo!
No more death row for me!

Could exercise actually be bad for some healthy people? A well-known group of researchers say the answer may be a qualified yes.
For Some, Exercise May Increase Heart Risk

For those looking only for 'good news', I'd suggest ignoring the disclaimers.... sometimes the truth doesn't set you free....

McMike
05-30-2012, 05:19 PM
link is not working.

SMARTINSEN
05-30-2012, 05:22 PM
link is not working.

From George's favorite newspaper:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/30/can-exercise-be-bad-for-you/

George Jung
05-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Actually, it's Donn's favorite newspaper.....

McMike
05-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks . . .

Looks like I still gotta exercise . . . .

John Meachen
05-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Hardly news,I remember Jim Fixx the proponent of jogging,dropping dead while jogging.More recently a fellow went for a health assessment for insurance purposes and was running on a treadmill when he had a fatal heart attack it happened only a couple of miles down the road and was reported in the local paper at the time.

George Jung
05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Was the GXST done in a heart hospital? They'll generally wheel your carcass over to an operating suite, do an emergency bypass, and save your bacon - if you're in the right place. One of the dangers of doing stress tests in offices.

An aside - during my internship year, we were responsible for responding to all of the 'code blues' in hospital, and did a lot of them. After leaving one such code, I was walking from that building, through the connecting corridor to another, one that ran right past admissions and the ER, next door - when a guy who was standing there literally fell over, in cardiac arrest. I assessed him, stuck my head around the corner and holler to the ER 'code blue', started resuscitation, loaded him onto a gurney and into the ER, defibrillated him, and off to the cardiac surgical suite. Funny thing was - he wasn't being admitted, had been asymptomatic, and had simply driven a friend to the hospital who needed to be seen. Serendipitous, eh?

MiddleAgesMan
05-30-2012, 05:54 PM
There has been a plethora of healthy athletes dying during competitions lately. Here in Savannah a guy died while running a marathon, 5-6 months ago. And just a week or two ago I read about a competitor in a triathelon who had a heart "event" while swimming off Jekyll Island. He was rescued, brought to shore, but resussitation administered there was unsuccessful. That's just two within a few miles but I recall several others elsewhere.

When I do physical "work" I find improvements to my overall health but when I do phony work (AKA exercise) I gain weight.

George Jung
05-30-2012, 06:31 PM
My inclination is to stick with my original premise.

What do you think? Do long distance runners really live longer?

Or does it just feel that way?