PDA

View Full Version : Nothing much more to offer, as a town...

George Jung
05-30-2012, 09:02 AM
For your consideration:

For most people, dark matter is a term that made their eyes glaze over in science class. But for Gaitskell and scientists like him, it’s the mystery meat of existence.
“It makes up a huge amount of the universe,” said Kevin Lesko, of Lawrence Berkley National Lab, who is the principal investigator for the Sanford Underground Research Facility.
They know it’s there by its gravitational pull but, unlike regular matter and antimatter, it’s so far undetectable. Scientific papers and books have been dedicated to what it could be, but so far, Gaitskell — who’s said he’s been “hunting dark matter” for 23 years — and his colleagues know only that it could explain why the universe isn’t made up equally of matter and antimatter. That, in turn, could explain how the world as we know it came to be.
“It has to be there because of its effects through gravity, but it also has to have properties that make it very unusual – otherwise, we would have detected it already,” Lesko said

http://www.argusleader.com/viewart/20120530/UPDATES/305310012/New-lab-turns-Lead-into-scientific-hub?odyssey=tab|topnew
(http://www.argusleader.com/viewart/20120530/UPDATES/305310012/New-lab-turns-Lead-into-scientific-hub?odyssey=tab|topnew)
s|text|Home

pefjr
05-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Great timing, gold is up 500% since 03. Butt.... which is more valuable, dark matter or gold?

George Jung
05-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Denny Sanford is the 'philanthropist' (apparently that doesn't mean what I thought it meant) behind this - bought the site for a song; got lots of matching funds, and most importantly, gets to put his name on it! He also bought Sioux Valley Health Systems (now Sanford Health), the largest not-for-profit system in the United States. Has a big bronze statue of himself outside the grand promendade/entrance; likes to hear his name mentioned glowingly, is buying himself some giant memorials.

pefjr
05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Denny Sanford is the 'philanthropist' (apparently that doesn't mean what I thought it meant) behind this - bought the site for a song; got lots of matching funds, and most importantly, gets to put his name on it! He also bought Sioux Valley Health Systems (now Sanford Health), the largest not-for-profit system in the United States. Has a big bronze statue of himself outside the grand promendade/entrance; likes to hear his name mentioned glowingly, is buying himself some giant memorials.Hmmm... in his search for glory , do you think it's possible he forgot to acquire the mineral rights?

barryhill
05-30-2012, 10:12 AM
I've seen that bronze. The guy, I think, has compensation issues. :)

George Jung
05-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Hmmm... in his search for glory , do you think it's possible he forgot to acquire the mineral rights?

Doubtful.

In spades!

purri
05-30-2012, 11:42 PM

Otherwise known as LD syndrome by the cognoscenti.