PDA

View Full Version : Aussie's and guns?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Risk homeostasis anybody.

41 to 1 on? (http://now.msn.com/now/0528-motorcycle-texter-photo.aspx)

Paul Pless
05-29-2012, 01:55 PM
It weren't Ian, he rides an orange bike. . .

WX
05-29-2012, 04:28 PM
What does it have to do with guns?

Phillip Allen
05-29-2012, 04:31 PM
when the accountability starts falling on the service providers, it will begin to change

Paul Pless
05-29-2012, 04:31 PM
What does it have to do with guns?Maybe he was trying to say, given other examples of stupidity in Australia, its a damned fine thing y'all don't have a god given right to own guns. Maybe?;)

seanz
05-29-2012, 04:45 PM
The now viral photo helped police identify the bike's owner and sparked a door-to-door manhunt for the rider.

Way to over-react Sydney. I wonder if we can still call Victoria "The Gestapo State"?

Steve McMahon
05-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Maybe he was trying to say, given other examples of stupidity in Australia, its a damned fine thing y'all don't have a god given right to own guns. Maybe?;)

Spew....lol :d

WX
05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
I must be getting old, I'm glad they caught him.

Paul Pless
05-29-2012, 05:03 PM
I must be getting old, I'm glad they caught him.but a 'man hunt'? seriously??

WX
05-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Well they could have waited till he killed somebody I guess.

The Bigfella
05-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Sheesh.... 99.9% of drivers and riders in Asia would be done for that one. It goes on all the time here. Sometimes the riders let their 3 year old steer while they text.

I find it a nuisance. I have to take my glasses off to see what I'm texting...

Phillip Allen
05-30-2012, 06:54 AM
the translation of Ian's post is that it's acceptaable so long as the cell phone isn't made by Smith and Wesson or Colt

WX
05-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Oh well it won't be long before you can legally txt, watch a movie or waste your time on Facebook while travelling on the roads, because driverless cars are coming.

Phillip Allen
05-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Oh well it won't be long before you can legally txt, watch a movie or waste your time on Facebook while travelling on the roads, because driverless cars are coming.

Heck, there are plenty of those out there now!

Curtism
05-30-2012, 09:57 AM
That little stunt would be legal here and in several other states in the US. Attempts to ban texting and other cell phone use while opperating a motor vehicle have been met with fierce resistance from wireless communication co's huge lobby. A state rep here has tried every year to introduce legislation banning texting and cell phone use and each time she tries, the bill gets shot down.

Heck, in Florida he wouldn't even be required to wear a helmet while driving stupid.

The Bigfella
05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Talking on a mobile (let alone texting) is equivalent to driving drunk.... according to some research I recall reading about.

I was following a guy in a car once who went straight on at a corner whilst texting. Missed killing two people by inches. I took his phone off him and told him he could get it back at the police station. He followed me there. I left him with the Sergeant. Technically, I was a naughty boy.

Curtism
05-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Naughty indeed, here (unless you were friends with someone of stature in the PD) you'd likely be arrested for stealing the guys phone. Of course, you'd probably also get a high-five from the officers for taking advantage of a teachablre moment.

And I agree about the drunk driving comparison. It's become a trend for people to push a grocery cart around the market while yacking on cell phones and at times I feel like I should wear shin guards and hip pads to the store. If people can't operate a shopping cart without maiming someone or trashing a store display, what on earth makes them think they can drive a car while preoccupied with a phone?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Here - having a hand held electronic gizmo in the hand while driving is a potential 2K fine and six points.

But if he'd Blu-Tacked it to the tank - He'd've been legal!

stevebaby
05-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Naughty indeed, here (unless you were friends with someone of stature in the PD) you'd likely be arrested for stealing the guys phone. Of course, you'd probably also get a high-five from the officers for taking advantage of a teachablre moment.

And I agree about the drunk driving comparison. It's become a trend for people to push a grocery cart around the market while yacking on cell phones and at times I feel like I should wear shin guards and hip pads to the store. If people can't operate a shopping cart without maiming someone or trashing a store display, what on earth makes them think they can drive a car while preoccupied with a phone?It's the same under Australian law. It's not just "naughty"...it's a criminal offence with a maximum sentence of 14 years imprisonment. It was also (if it happened) a complete waste of time. The police can't issue an infringement notice without witnessing the alleged use of the phone since they didn't witness the offence and even with witness statements it would be very difficult to prosecute.
Robbing someone of their phone is very much a more serious offence than using a phone while driving. The police here are much more likely to charge the robber, just like in the States.

Paul Pless
05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Ian's a bad man.:d

The Bigfella
05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
It's the same under Australian law. It's not just "naughty"...it's a criminal offence with a maximum sentence of 14 years imprisonment. It was also (if it happened) a complete waste of time. The police can't issue an infringement notice without witnessing the alleged use of the phone since they didn't witness the offence and even with witness statements it would be very difficult to prosecute.
Robbing someone of their phone is very much a more serious offence than using a phone while driving. The police here are much more likely to charge the robber, just like in the States.

He handed it to me when I asked for it. It wasn't a waste of time. He faced up to what he'd done. He also admitted it to the Sergeant at the desk. The Sergeant thanked me. Next...........

The Bigfella
05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Ian's a bad man.:d

Naughty, Paul... not bad. Incidentally, where it happened was in front of a primary school. If it'd been the same time the next day, he'd have killed half a dozen kids.