PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Samarang

Bayboat
02-26-2000, 07:35 PM
From about 1941 to early 1944 I sailed on and lived part-time aboard the schooner Samarang, then out of Berkeley, Calif. yacht harbor. She is 55' on deck, schooner-yacht rig, and built by (as I recall) South Coast in Newport, or possibly Fellows & Stewart, in about 1932. Her original name was Emmeline. The owner while I was aboard was Bertram Crocheron, who headed Agricultural Extension at University of California-Berkeley. Soon after the end of WWII she sold to Dick Love (?) I don't recall that he changed the name. I suspect she remained on San Francisco Bay, but not at Berkeley. She was a gold plater, built heavy and to very high specs, so she may have lasted until now. Any information would be appreciated. Incidentally, she was built alongside a 48' racing yawl named Brilliant, which I brought back from Honolulu to Santa Barbara in 1948 after the 1947 Transpac. I wonder if she is still around southern California?

Bob Cleek
02-29-2000, 02:39 AM
Sheesh! Bayboat... I thought I was the oldest fahrt in here! LOL I'm only 50! At one point, back in the mid seventies, I was on the board of Master Mariner's Benevolent Association and running their regattas for a few years. We pretty much knew all the big boats around and I don't remember Samarang, so the odds are good she went off soundings elsewhere. BTW... have you got a boat? Name, port, where bound? I bet if I don't know you in real life, we have got to know some of the old timers on the Bay in common. I'm out of San Rafael, myself. Sounds like you hail from the East Bay.

Bayboat
02-29-2000, 05:11 PM
Bob Cleek: Yes, I'm getting along in years. I started sailing and racing on San Francisco Bay and up and down the coast in 1939-1940. I survived until 1962, when academia called me elsewhere. We didn't call it racing--we called it beating ourselves into submission. A few shipmates I remember: Doug Boswell, who sailed a Bear and then a Hurricane; Frank Bilek, who owned Java Head for a while; Tom Short, whose Tasco II I delivered back from Honolulu a couple of times; Jules Voerge with Anacapa, to Honolulu and back in 1947; Don Lawrie with Holganza, to Honolulu and back in 1953; Cy Tobin when he owned the M-boat Windward, a season including match races with Patolita (now Formidable, in Florida when last seen); Myron Spaulding, concert violinist and yacht designer who won more races than just about anybody--I didn't crew for him, but I'll never forget the one time I beat him. My early crewing on big boats was on Zaca, then owned by Templeton Crocker, and just one race on Dorade with (if I remember right) Jimmy Flood. There were many more, but this is probably not the right venue for extended reminiscing. But above all I should mention Glenn Waterhouse, with whom I sailed for more than a decade (he was the 1935 or 1936 national Star-boat champion and went to Hitler's olympics). Later, he had a Windward (Pampero) and a Kettenberg K-40 (Joy II). Our best season was when a woman named Denny something brought the PCC Mickey up from L.A.
She was light but very strong (the boat)and beat the pants off the heavy-rigged SF Bay boats.
Well, enough of that. To finish off your questions, I now have a Hinckley Sou'wester, built in 1947; I cruise Lake Michigan (where the water tastes funny--no salt!)

Bob Cleek
02-29-2000, 11:34 PM
Bayboat, you'll be happy to know a lot of the boats are still with us, if, sadly, the owners aren't. Frank Bilek passed away some time back, I believe. He had a very busy surveying business when I knew him. Java Head was a great powerful thing. I demoed her when I worked for Kermit Parker's brokerage in the seventies. Great boat. Anacapa was around for a while and I'm sure probably still is. She was a bit tired, but used a lot by the fellow who owned her. Holganza is still racing regularly and very successfully in Master Mariners and in fine shape. Myron Spaulding is long gone. He had his yard, specializing in spar work, down in Sausalito for years. Zaca I never knew, alas, but I hear she's restored for a gazillion bucks and happy in the Med under the care of some rich Frog. Nunes Bros, who built her (and the Bears) is long gone, of course. Their yard was replaced with another bunch of waterfront condo apartments and a tourist bar and restaurant. A friend who had a yard in San Rafael had Zaca's shore gig in dry storage years ago and I remember her as a wonderfully done teak runabout. Dorade is up in Seattle now, I think. Peter Sutter, the sailmaker, who I expect you know, and I think Bob Keefe, another of your likely compatriots, chartered her on the Bay for a while maybe fifteen years ago. A wonderful boat, of course, but nobody ever mentions how deep and dark she is below... not that I'd turn her down! LOL Pampero is around racing with the classics here. Glenn Waterhouse is long gone, but there's a big boat series named after him now. Little Mickey, if she's the same, is up here now and certainly still is fast. Well kept and healthy. Her crew races her in matching whites and sweaters! Very old fashioned, but fun. And you have a Hinkley? WELL! Can you introduce us to Martha?

Bayboat
03-02-2000, 12:07 AM
Bob Cleek: Thanks very much for the update on various boats I used to sail or crew on. One trouble with lasting beyond one's just deserts is learning about shipmates who have passed on. I'm supposed to introduce you to Martha? Who is Martha? That one passes right over my head...??

Bob Cleek
03-02-2000, 08:42 AM
Ah.. one of the other benefits of lasting beyond your just deserts is avoiding the annoyances of the popular culture... Martha, as in Martha Stewart, that omnipresent TV, radio and magazine "good housekeeping" guru that I call the "Howard Cosell of housework." She's a running joke in here. She's well known for the custom Hinkley picnic boat that she had built and featured in one of her shows... how she did the interior decorating on it with blue bows and little plaster ducks all around... LOL You must have bumped into her channel surfing... that obnoxiou blonde who's always telling housewives how to pretty things up with handicrafts that no one in real life has any time for... Since you have a Hinkley... I thought you might have an inside track to her! LOL

bill hersey
03-21-2000, 03:07 PM
Bayboat; Still looking for SAMARANG? The last I saw her she was alive, well and afloat in Newport Harbor, California, on a mooring. I too have some memories of the pretty schooner with the lovely sheer. I grew up in Newport sailing and crewing on ESCAPADE, NAM SANG and some of the other glory girls, plus my own assortment of Penguins, Snowbirds and Stars. This was in the mid and late fifties. My parents knew the owners of SAMARANG, and sailed on her several times to Catalina, I don't remember names. I lost track of her when boyhood sailing ended, life in earnest began, and I didn't sail again on my own boat for seven years. Won't go into all of that here. The story picks up four years ago when I sailed into Newport, headed up the main channel, and there she was. I asked around and was told, the best anyone knew, that she was owned by a family and sailed frequently after a complete rebuild in San Pedro (don't know which yard). While her house varnish wasn't perfect, she looked very much alive, and as beautiful as I remembered her. If anyone can pick it up from there, I would also be very interested.

Bayboat
03-21-2000, 04:14 PM
Bill:
Many thanks for the news about Samarang; she was my first love. I'm delighted to hear that she was still alive a few years ago. Let's hope someone with up-to-date information will show up. Escapade and Nam Sang were indeed gold-platers. Aboard boats like that you really knew you were sailing. Best regards.

[This message has been edited by Bayboat (edited 03-24-2000).]

bill hersey
03-21-2000, 07:35 PM
Bayboat: Well, I've spent the last part of the afternoon thinking about SAMARANG when I should have been working. So to convert the guilt into a productive endeavor, I've decided a trip to Newport is in order. Besides, it gives me a chance to sail (my current boat is a Calkins 50 -- anyone want to start a thread on these fast and interesting vessels?)Since I have to berth in Marina del Rey, it's a nice afternoon run down, and with a purpose to boot. Some of us, my friend, have to keep up with these Deusenburgs of sailing, right?

Bayboat
03-21-2000, 11:05 PM
Bill:
What a nice thing to do. I'll anticipate with pleasure your report. Many thanks.

Bayboat
03-30-2000, 05:51 PM
Bill Hersey: I just received an e-mail from Craig Johnsen, of the schooner Magic, who gave me Samarang's current owner's name. I'll e-mail it to you. He mentioned an extensive
restoration, and that she had won a recent Newport-Ensenada race. Wow! We used to race her on San Francisco Bay with just the owner and two lightly built teenage kids. The only winches were two #10 Merrimans at the cockpit. Under-crewed like that, we usually didn't do very well, partly because she is so heavy-built and coudn't compete effectively with the racing machines. But when there was enough breeze to put her down on her lines with a big fisherman up she was a thrill to sail.

[This message has been edited by Bayboat (edited 03-30-2000).]

Ariane
04-27-2000, 11:28 PM
Bayboat & BobCleek:
Bob, Myron Spaulding isn't "long gone" yet. I just spoke to him a couple of months ago. Bayboat, a fellow is racing Pampero in Master Mariners currently, his name is Chris Newell. He may be interested in talking to you if you know the boat's history like it sounds like you do. Because I'm not sure how often I'll make it into this forum, please contact me at mastermariners@hotmail.com
Thanks, Ariane

Bayboat
04-30-2000, 11:56 PM
Ariane:
I'm very happy to learn that Myron Spaulding is still with us. Thanks so much. Mark Twain had something to say about premature announcements--"the news of my demise is greatly exaggerated" or something like that. I remember Myron as a winning skipper and designer of some beautiful boats. One of the most successful was Suomi, a yawl built for Arvid Johnson. In the 1950's I occasionally sailed Holganza when the owner was elsewhere, and raced against Buoyant Girl when Myron campaigned her for at least the first season after she was launched.

An e-mail about Pampero is on the way to you.
I crewed aboard her all during Glenn Waterhouse's ownership.

Ariane
03-07-2001, 02:35 PM
By now you probably know, but Myron Spaulding passed away in Sept. 2000. There are discussions of building a sailing school or something related in his honor at his old yard in Sausalito.

Bayboat
03-15-2001, 12:01 PM
Ariane, thanks for the news about Myron. I had read in WoodenBoat of his passing. Some kind of active memorial would certainly be fitting--a sailing or building school.

Dave Fleming
03-15-2001, 01:53 PM
Myron Spaulding?
Was his yard north of Sausilito Marine Ways?
Spent some time working there and after work before driving home to Petaluma would looky-loo in any place that:
had boats
was open and didn't have a big dog in the yard. :)
Seems like I recall a fellow about 6 foot tall with either thinning hair or a bald spot.
Office crammed with plans and books but no work going on when I snooped and chatted all of five minutes or so with him.
Will be driving up to the Bay Area for the annual mother-in-law Mothers Day thing and will try to get away.
Usually just go over to SF and down to where Anderson and Christofani was. Shed a tear or two and then walk down the hill to where Nunes Bros is or at least that's what the sign says. Check in at the Union Hall up the street from the old Bethlehem yard and then.
Take a long swing up to Inverness and the Tomales Bay area and then back to Pinole in time for a Myers or two or three before dinner with the in-laws.

[This message has been edited by Dave Fleming (edited 03-15-2001).]

John B
03-15-2001, 03:20 PM
This is a nice thread.

Nam sang became famous in NZ for losing her mast a couple of times when visiting here in the 60's. It was the biggest mast anyone here had seen, the boat itself was the biggest private yacht anyone had seen.
She ended up coming back and living here for many years and eventually became part of an ownership wrangle. In the 90's sometime she was stolen and sailed back to America. I heard she was subsequently wrecked.

Bayboat
03-16-2001, 11:13 AM
Dave: Myron Spaulding was about 6', with an uncombed and thick shock of black hair (in 1962 when I last saw him). The office with plans and books all over the place sounds right. A very talented guy. In earlier life he was a violinist with the San Francisco Symphony.

The original Nunes Bros. yard was in Sausalito. Ernie and (I forget his name) designed and built the famous Bear Boats, and built the great schooner Zaca.

I wish I could accompany you on your trip around the Bay, and especially to Tomales Bay, one of my favorite places. I remember fondly many trips from Berkeley to Dillon's Beach to dig gooeyducks.

Jim Linderman
11-14-2008, 10:08 AM
I know it has been 8 years since this message was posted & I don't know if the question was answered if it has good & correct me if I'm wrong but the last I heard if it is the same Samarang is that Ernie Minnie from Newport Beach had her for a long time then sold her, don't know anything else, but I seem to remember reading something about her in some mag some where. Boy how the subjects go from one thing to another. I'm from S.F. & as a youngster to you guys now as well as then I was lucky enough to have known Spike Africa, way back then 25 + years ago & actualy we took his ashes out on the Wander Bird with Sterling Hayden aboard among all the other hangeroners. I could go on as some of you have but that's that. Fair winds & following seas to all THAT sail the seas. Regards Jim Linderman jr.