PDA

View Full Version : Repub Mayor wants Obama to give Town a handout to balance their budget!

Nicholas Scheuer
05-28-2012, 05:50 AM
http://now.msn.com/money/0527-newport-beach-bills-Obama.aspx

BrianW
05-28-2012, 06:01 AM
I read both your link, and the link in the article, to the LA Times.

From what I can tell, there's not a single bit of truth in your thread title. That is especially important, given it appears to be your only comment on the issue.

PeterSibley
05-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Brian 1
Nic nil

Hank Rearden
05-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Nicholas' thread title is a complete misrepresentation of what the article said. It didn't mention anything about the town's budget, and it didn't mention anything about a "handout". All it said that Obama's campaign was billed for services they consumed and they haven't paid up. Typical Democrat view that they should be entitled to government services that they want someone else to pay for.

Nicholas Scheuer
05-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Well He wants a check to replace the funds they spent, probably so they can keep their taxes low. Sounds like a "handout" from the federal government to me.

It's a matter of interpretation.

Phillip Allen
05-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Well He wants a check to replace the funds they spent, probably so they can keep their taxes low. Sounds like a "handout" from the federal government to me.

break it down a bit Nicholas

it was a campaign function (right?)
should the city pay for it?

perhaps it is more complicated than that but I don't see it yet

Hank Rearden
05-28-2012, 07:05 AM

As I said, you are a typical Democrat. Someone is sent a bill for services they received and you call it asking for a handout. And in this case the article clearly says it's not from the Federal government. It's Obama's campaign that's being asked to pay for the services they consumed.

Phillip Allen
05-28-2012, 07:17 AM
As I said, you are a typical Democrat. Someone is sent a bill for services they received and you call it asking for a handout. And in this case the article clearly says it's not from the Federal government. It's Obama's campaign that's being asked to pay for the services they consumed.

I don't agree with your 'typical' commentary (and dirt clod throwing isn‘t helpful anyway)... to list a parallel: if no one breaks any traffic laws on a given day, who pays court costs? Does the judge and various clerks not receive pay for that day? Confusing? you bet... and it's supposed to be. If we go to the bottom line, the judge and staff get paid from the same fund as always. the fund is augmented by fines as always... the 'court cost' payment is double dipping... as always.

to bring this back to the op:
I suspect that the authorities were called by a federal staffer and told that the President would be there at a certain time, give or take... and the city would be expected to have all or most of its police forces and staff in uniform and on the job. The city, per contract with its employees must pay over time for the additional time on duty... that extra time is an expense incurred by the presidential campaign.

BrianW
05-28-2012, 08:10 AM

Well lets see here...

It wasn't the Mayor. That's a she, a Mrs Nancy Gardner. She seems down to earth and very liberal according to what I read about her.

It isn't a handout, but rather a bill for services provided.

It doesn't have anything to due with balancing a budget, according to the articles referenced.

The bill wasn't sent to Obama, but rather his campaign headquarters in Chicago. That's close, but still not correct. What's important, is that it's not the taxpayers being charged and certainly not the federal government.

Reports are that the Obama campaign was expecting to raise $8 million during the 6 fund raisers in California. The one in question charged...

Entrance to the breakfast cost $2,500 per person, with a $10,000 photo reception and breakfast option and a $35,800 “greet + breakfast” option, according to the invitation.

So one "greet and breakfast" ticket would have covered the expense for this strictly campaign event.

Ian McColgin
05-28-2012, 08:12 AM
It's not a new issue, though it comes up with a partisan snit in each place. Here's an earlier story:

Presidential campaign stops can be costly for Wisconsin towns

The Post-Crescent (Appleton, Wisconsin)
BYLINE: By, Nick Penzenstadler
4/13/2012

Local taxpayers likely will be left footing the bill for security costs associated with recent campaign stops by Republican presidential candidates.
Private organizations like Lawrence University and Gold Cross Ambulance probably will have to eat expenses they racked up, too, during the visits to northeast Wisconsin.

Though some plan to bill the campaigns of Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich for staffing and equipment costs incurred during the candidates’ stops in the past three weeks, officials acknowledge they have little hope of being paid.

“I’ve heard horror stories when it comes to billing. You’re basically spinning your wheels trying to bill a politician,” said Town of Menasha Police Chief Rod McCants.

Romney’s March 31 speech at Lawrence University in Appleton lasted only 24 minutes, but the preparation, protection and space costs could add up to thousands of dollars and may go unpaid.

The university still is tabulating its bill for renting Stansbury Theatre, and paying for supplies and staff. LU spokesman Rick Peterson said the Romney campaign will receive the bill soon. It costs $434 to rent the theater for a day, according to university records.

Meanwhile, Gold Cross Ambulance Service had a truck at the university for three hours because Romney’s staff required an ambulance at the event in case of an emergency.

“We charge $125 per hour so it would be $375,” said Mark Fredrickson, operations director. “We’re not sure if we’ll charge for the event yet.”
Romney and Santorum won’t see a bill from police agencies in the Fox Cities, however.

McCants reassigned detectives to protect Santorum at the April 3 stop at Sabre Lanes, but the Town of Menasha Police Department will not bill the campaign because there was no overtime used for the event.

Earlier that day, Santorum stumped at Simon’s Specialty Cheese in Little Chute, but Fox Valley Metro Police Department also will not charge the campaign because no additional officers were needed.

The Appleton Police Department benefited from school not being in session during Romney’s visit March 31 and reassigned school liaison officers to handle the event, said Sgt. Pat DeWall. He said the department will not bill Romney’s campaign for the event.

Once candidates hit the highway, the State Patrol provides protection, clearing traffic and looking for roadside threats. That agency works with the U.S. Secret Service to get candidates safely from point A to B, said Cpt. Nick Scorcio, northeast region commander.

“We don’t charge, and I don’t think we ever have for dignitary protection,” Scorcio said. “It’s part of our statutory authority to assign state traffic officers to protect officials and other persons as part of Homeland Security.”
Brown County agencies to send bill

The Brown County Sheriff’s Department was the first local agency to issue a bill this year for campaign-related security.

An invoice for $4,285.60 went to Rick Santorum’s campaign last week for security costs that included the use of a bomb-sniffing dog and its handler, and stationing officers at Ravine Pub & Grill in Bellevue for a campaign stop.

Likewise, Green Bay police and the Bellevue Fire Department will bill the campaigns for appearances, officials said, though neither has tallied its costs.
Santorum also visited the National Railroad Museum in Ashwaubenon on April 1. Gingrich visited Kroll’s West in Ashwaubenon on March 30. Romney made a campaign stop April 2 at Wisconsin Building Supply in Howard.

Ashwaubenon Public Safety Cmdr. Kris VerVaren said the department devoted about six hours to the Kroll’s West event, and seven to the appearance at the National Railroad Museum.

Officials typically have reimbursed local departments for appearances that are strictly fundraisers, Brown County Sheriff John Gossage said.
The department received $5,126 to cover overtime costs from President George W. Bush’s 2006 appearance at a fundraiser in Howard for congressional candidate John Gard. The department also was reimbursed for expenses when House Speaker John Boehner visited a residence last August for a private event for U.S. Rep. Reid Ribble, R-Sherwood.

No charges for presidential visits

Police cannot bill the government for expenses incurred from a visit of a sitting president because it’s his work as the country’s chief executive, multiple officials said. For example, police departments were not reimbursed for President Barack Obama’s January 2011 visit to Skana Aluminum Co. in Manitowoc.

Presidential visits often cost much more than campaign stops because officers have to control intersections and do other work not required during a candidate visit, said Jeremy Muraski, operations lieutenant for the Green Bay Police Department.

The reimbursement issue gets fuzzy when a candidate has protection from the Secret Service, which will ask local agencies to assign officers for the event. Campaigns can argue they shouldn’t have to cover costs because the government made the request.

“My guess is that the campaigns will tell us, ‘We didn’t request the security, so we can’t be held liable for it,’” Gossage said.

Each candidate who paid a visit to the Green Bay area recently had Secret Service protection.
Costs at a glance

» An overnight visit by 2008 Republican presidential hopefuls Sen. John McCain and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to Green Bay racked up $14,000 in overtime.

» A one-day Resch Center visit by candidate Barack Obama in 2008 required $10,088 in overtime among several agencies.

» President George W. Bush’s visit to the Resch Center on Oct. 30, 2004, totaled $31,665, which ended up being about $329 per minute for the 96-minute stop.

» Another Bush visit – at the Resch Center on July 14, 2004 – generated $31,560 in overtime costs from departments.

# # #

BrianW
05-28-2012, 08:23 AM
As mentioned in Ian's article... kissing hands and shaking babies, and simple 'official visits' are not normally billed, but fundraisers are.

This was a fundraiser.

Shang
05-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Just out of bored curiosity I did a little checking:

You might want to cut President Obama a little slack since his appearance in Newport Beach was in February, but his presidential campaign didn’t officially begin until April. But President Obama’s February visit was a fund-raiser, and despite the fact that Newport Beach is very strongly Republican, the President was able to raise over a million there during his 2008 campaign.

A visit from an elected president is bound to attract some attention, but does Newport Beach send a bill to every note-worthy who visits?

For example, did Newport Beach send a bill to Mitt Romney when he appeared at Newport Beach’s Orange County Republicans at the Pacific Club on Thursday, August 28, 2008 to thank past supporters of his Presidential campaign and ask those supporters to assist the California Republican Party with its fundraising efforts for the November election?
And did they bill Romney when he appeared at the Claremont Institute’s California Public Policy Conference at the Island Hotel in Newport Beach, California, on Saturday, December 5, 2009?
Or in a seven-car motorcade, headed for a big-money fundraiser expected to attract Orange County’s leading Republican donors on March 27th, 2012?

Just to illustrate how Newport Beach butters bread, the Presidential Donor Lookup lists thousands of residents of Newport Beach, California who have donated to this present presidential campaign. Overwhelmingly they have given their money to the campaign of Mitt Romney.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/search.php?sort=N&name=&state=&zip=92660&employ=&cand=&cid=ALL&amt=a&txtSoft=&cycle=2012

http://storage0.dms.mpinteractiv.ro/media/1/186/3929/9135213/1/askromney.jpg?width=630

SMARTINSEN
05-28-2012, 09:24 AM
The President was there for less than 1/2 a day. $35,000 for 7 officers.

I would like to see how they itemize it. How much do you think that they are padding the bill? Do you think this is anything more than a partisan ploy?

Nicholas Scheuer
05-28-2012, 09:31 AM
No, you break it down. My heading and link arte less exagerated that the damm lies you Repubs post here all the time.

Can't take some "push-back", eh? Too f bad!

BrianW
05-28-2012, 09:33 AM
You might want to cut President Obama a little slack since his appearance in Newport Beach was in February, but his presidential campaign didn’t officially begin until April.

So he was campaigning on our time, even when he wasn't campaigning? So... we should cut him some slack?

But President Obama’s February visit was a fund-raiser...

Oh, so never mind the first part then. Right? The 'cut him some slack' part?

...but does Newport Beach send a bill to every note-worthy who visits?

...did Newport Beach send a bill to Mitt Romney when he appeared at Newport Beach’s Orange County Republicans at the Pacific Club ...
And did they bill Romney when he appeared at the Claremont Institute’s California Public Policy Conference at the Island Hotel in Newport Beach, California...
Or in a seven-car motorcade, headed for a big-money fundraiser expected to attract Orange County’s leading Republican donors...

So many questions. Did they spend extra money on those?

What are the answers?

BrianW
05-28-2012, 09:38 AM
No, you break it down. My heading and link arte less exagerated that the damm lies you Repubs post here all the time.

To be an exaggeration, there would have to be an iota of truth to your heading. There are very few Republicans here posting new threads. I'm not feeling your pain. Not in the Bilge. Even if there were, would posting such a misleading subject heading be okay?

Hank Rearden
05-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Your heading isn't exaggerated. It just has no relationship to the article in your link. Can you point out anywhere in the article that balancing the town's budget is mentioned? A "handout" would imply that the mayor was asking to get something for nothing. The article says they want to be reimbursed for money that they spent. That's not a "handout". "Too f bad!"?? Does your mommy know you use bad words like that talking to strangers?

Ian McColgin
05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Well, since weve now got the link that that town has not charged to Romney campaign, it appears that the interpretive slant of the thread title is still wrong - it was not to balance the budget but rather, knowing that you cannot fabricate an ex post facto bill from thin air, it was simply a PR stunt to score a few political points locally. Milo had the right adjective. As municipal stunts go, it was pathetic.

pefjr
05-28-2012, 09:59 AM
:DYou boys oughta know Nicholas's MO by now.

BrianW
05-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Well, since weve now got the link that that town has not charged to Romney campaign...

There's no such link on this page. Not as I submit this post.

ccmanuals
05-28-2012, 10:03 AM

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/search.php?sort=N&name=&state=&zip=92660&employ=&cand=&cid=ALL&amt=a&txtSoft=&cycle=2012

SMARTINSEN
05-28-2012, 10:05 AM
:DYou boys oughta know Nicholas's MO by now.

He is pretty good at reeling in the Ususal Suspects:p

BrianW
05-28-2012, 10:08 AM

That's a link to a page of donors to the 2012 presidential election for zip code 92660. For all the candidates, including Obama.

It says nothing about if Newport Beach charged the Romney campaign.

Do you guys read this stuff?

bobbys
05-28-2012, 10:19 AM
What have our libs been drinking?.

First Doug uses the Retard word and cannot figure out why its not good.

Now Nick gets owned and goes "you to" as a defense..

Glenn is obsessed with Jamie and cannot do backup.

If i have to call Norm and Lew in i will....

Ian McColgin
05-28-2012, 10:21 AM
I read that. I read the article I C&P'd. I read the word "unprecedented." And I googled in vain for any report of Newport Beach billing the Romney campaign. It would be news if they did. It appears not to be news that they didn't. The bill's a stunt and no one expects it to be paid, anymore than the occasional bills sent to other candidates through the years.

wardd
05-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Nicholas' thread title is a complete misrepresentation of what the article said. It didn't mention anything about the town's budget, and it didn't mention anything about a "handout". All it said that Obama's campaign was billed for services they consumed and they haven't paid up. Typical Democrat view that they should be entitled to government services that they want someone else to pay for.

check on the wi republican party unable to pay it's rent and i hear santorum is behind in his payments too

BrianW
05-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Well, since weve now got the link that that town has not charged to Romney campaign...

That's a link to a page of donors to the 2012 presidential election for zip code 92660. For all the candidates, including Obama.

It says nothing about if Newport Beach charged the Romney campaign.

I read that. I read the article I C&P'd. I read the word "unprecedented." And I googled in vain for any report of Newport Beach billing the Romney campaign. It would be news if they did. It appears not to be news that they didn't.

What?

You make a claim based on a link.

But there was no link.

You can't find a link now. Not even on Goggle.

But the lack of a link is now proof.

We're suppose to assume the worst.

Is this what has become of the Bilge democrat debate team?

:D

wardd
05-28-2012, 11:16 AM
i assume the worst about romney, seems the safe thing to do

bobbys
05-28-2012, 12:41 PM
What?

You make a claim based on a link.

But there was no link.

You can't find a link now. Not even on Goggle.

But the lack of a link is now proof.

We're suppose to assume the worst.

Is this what has become of the Bilge democrat debate team?

:D

They are bringing Warrd in off the bench to talk about Santorum .....

wardd
05-28-2012, 02:59 PM

They are bringing Warrd in off the bench to talk about Santorum .....

isn't he a republican?