PDA

View Full Version : Everyone aware that The Bilge is not listed in the Forum Dropdown on the Front Page?

Nicholas Scheuer
05-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Does WBF have plans they're not telling us about?

Notice that the row of tabs including "Forum" is one of those hard-to-read deals with unsufficient definition? Wouldn't you think by now (how many years has it been since Gore invented the internet?) website designers would be cognisant of a computer monitor's limitations for legibility? Typical, though; there are lots of computer hotshots out there who know way more about Megabytes of RAM than they do eyeball biology.

Mrleft8
05-26-2012, 08:17 AM
You could take a look at Carl Cramer's explanation of why it's missing in the thread he started in Misc. Boat.......

elf
05-26-2012, 09:00 AM
We negotiated that with Carl months ago. Some of us were worried that the acrimony in the Bilge was polluting the WoodenBoat Forum experience of those who dropped in just to see the "most recent" list. I don't know how well it's working out, but at least we can keep our dirty laundry down here in a zipped laundry bag.

Paul Pless
05-26-2012, 09:07 AM
We negotiated that with Carl months ago. Some of us were worried that the acrimony in the Bilge was polluting the WoodenBoat Forum experience of those who dropped in just to see the "most recent" list. I don't know how well it's working out, but at least we can keep our dirty laundry down here in a zipped laundry bag.Rofl. It had nothing to do with bilge rats negotiating. It was put in place after complaints from B&R denizens finally got loud enough. Its been asked for for about five years now. . .

BrianW
05-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Uh. Carl said they 'ran out of room'.

Good enough for me, otherwise my feelings might get hurt.

Nicholas Scheuer
05-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I saw Carl's comment. However, inferior and incomplete graphics are inexcusable on a website. Sorry, I'm a graphically oriented person; always have been.

David W Pratt
05-26-2012, 10:26 AM
How can they run out of room? Computational capacity doubles every 18 mos, or something like that.

George Jung
05-26-2012, 10:38 AM
They can't.

That's an excuse Carl gave instead of simply stating the Bilge offended his dainty sensibilities. Personally, I'd prefer WB 'man up' and simply acknowledge that, though the Bilge has by far the most member activity, they really don't like it. Interesting to see what kind of erosion of membership occurs as this place becomes less interesting. I've noticed some already - and also find I'm spending less time here, and have less interest. SA, anyone?

Garret
05-26-2012, 11:18 AM
It is listed under Quick Links.

Separate from the bilge: I just wish Scot would put back the settings wording. The link is still there (upper right between My Profile & Logout) - but it's absolutely tiny because he removed the text for it ("Settings"). I use that link all the time & it's a PITA trying to hit it exactly.

SamSam
05-26-2012, 11:27 AM
I get 7 of them, including Da Bilge.
Maybe because I'm so reasonable.

Mrleft8
05-26-2012, 01:35 PM
We negotiated that with Carl months ago. Some of us were worried that the acrimony in the Bilge was polluting the WoodenBoat Forum experience of those who dropped in just to see the "most recent" list. I don't know how well it's working out, but at least we can keep our dirty laundry down here in a zipped laundry bag.
"Negotiated"..... Is that what you call being told what's going to happen? :D

Garret
05-26-2012, 01:55 PM
"Negotiated"..... Is that what you call being told what's going to happen? :D

I thought you were married?

purri
05-27-2012, 02:59 AM
Well my direct hotlink to WBF "forums" dropped out 3 days ago with a "not found" message. I have my doubts about what may happen next and TD I'm not.

mikefrommontana
05-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Direct link? Well, I keep this address in my favorites and it's not failed me yet:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/

TomF
05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Maybe I don't know where to go to see what you're talking about ... but when I go to the "forums" page and see the sub-listing of all the areas (e.g. B&R, Designs etc.) ... the Bilge is still bottom of the list, as ever.

No, for some time it's not showed up on the "what's new" post stuff, but hidden? Not here.

ChrisBen
05-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Maybe I don't know where to go to see what you're talking about ... but when I go to the "forums" page and see the sub-listing of all the areas (e.g. B&R, Designs etc.) ... the Bilge is still bottom of the list, as ever.No, not the WBF. The new web page for the WBM. You really need to get out (of the bilge) more often. :d

FLASH -- to Members of the WoodenBoat Forum (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?148403-FLASH-to-Members-of-the-WoodenBoat-Forum)

Ian McColgin
05-28-2012, 09:31 AM
On the homepage the decks listed are in a different order. Where's Mark when we need the hidden meaning of it all explained?

TomF
05-28-2012, 09:48 AM
OK, up to speed.

Y'know, this is a clear de-investment in the Bilge, as I suspect that for many, that new drop-down will become the primary entry-point into the forums. That saddens me, but it's up to our hosts to sort out their preferences.

Hank Rearden
05-28-2012, 09:56 AM
I saw Carl's comment. However, inferior and incomplete graphics are inexcusable on a website. Sorry, I'm a graphically oriented person; always have been.

So leave then! AMF! You won't be missed.

ChrisBen
05-28-2012, 10:04 AM
OK, up to speed.

Y'know, this is a clear de-investment in the Bilge, as I suspect that for many, that new drop-down will become the primary entry-point into the forums. That saddens me, but it's up to our hosts to sort out their preferences.I suspect most regular posters use a Forum bookmark rather than going to the Magazine site and navigating to here. If you click on "SEE ALL FORUM TOPICS" from the Forums window You'll see the Bilge in it's customary place (the bottom :D ).

George Jung
05-28-2012, 10:12 AM
I suspect it's an effort to 're-direct' newbies above decks, which by the numbers have been far under-represented in terms of forum traffic. I posted a bit on this on one of the WoodenBoat threads, got a rather nasty reception. Hehehe... it rather reflects the nations mood in terms of RWW, LWW and the Independents! Little open-mindedness or tolerance - who'da thunk it? :p

hokiefan
05-28-2012, 10:35 AM
People that belong in the Bilge will find it. No worries...

Cheers,

Bobby

George Jung
05-28-2012, 11:39 AM
True. Though I thought that stuff 'floated'...

Peerie Maa
05-28-2012, 12:11 PM
People that belong in the Bilge will find it. No worries...

Cheers,

Bobby

Easy peasy, just click the header, don't open the drop down and the full glorious shebang opens.

johnw
05-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm actually one of those who urged WB to do it this way. The problem was that the "what's new" button was opening on mostly political stuff, and giving newbies the impression that the site was more political than wooden boat. The solution is to allow access to the bilge through the front door -- if you click on Wooden Boat Forum, it's right there at the bottom -- and give people a taste of the wooden boat goodness they expect when they open "what's new."

I enjoy the bilge, and I'm glad it's still here, but in terms of branding, it's not necessarily an asset to the magazine. And without the success of the magazine, there's no bilge, so I think the magazine should do what it must to protect the brand.

Cuyahoga Chuck
05-28-2012, 02:16 PM
It's best we don't attract too much attention.

mikefrommontana
05-28-2012, 02:25 PM
A smelly Bilge tends to get flushed out.....They should keep the hatches closed to benefit the unwary...

JimD
05-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Yeah, we noticed. Big ****. So what?

mariner2k
05-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Personally I think the bilge is a gem. It's a source of lively debate, information from both sides, a little nastiness from time to time, but so what?
I don't think we're all that thin skinned. I find it a source of entertainment. I'd miss it if it were gone. It would be like "Cookoo's Nest" after Jack Nicholsons character died. Besides we have our own spell checker.

Nicholas Scheuer
05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Naw, maybe it would be better if you left, Hank. You sound awfully unhappy.

Shang
05-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Personally I think the bilge is a gem. It's a source of lively debate, information from both sides, a little nastiness from time to time, but so what?
I don't think we're all that thin skinned. I find it a source of entertainment. I'd miss it if it were gone. It would be like "Cookoo's Nest" after Jack Nicholsons character died. Besides we have our own spell checker.

Well sure, without the spell checker we'd all sound like idiots, like we did in the WB spell checker days.

But seriously, guys, have you looked into some of the other Ratz-azz, knife-gutting, monkeynyursister political fora that are on line?
We're pretty lame game here, and we take relatively good care of each other.

Sorry for getting slushy...here, I'll make it up by stomping on Jamie...

Breakaway
05-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Here's a twist . I am using the "forum runner" app to access via my iPhone. The app opens and if i choose "current" instead of an individual forum I get any active thread including bilge threads.

On navigating to the forum: I don't use a bookmark, I simply type " wood" in the browser pane and and it comes up . Actually all I have to do us type " Wo" and there it is.

Kevib